cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Gear VR 2.0 what we want?

Dilip
Rising Star
Smart Phone world is rapidly changing and high are the chances we can very well see Gear VR V2 or its improved iteration no later than next year..

What can be improved to current Gear VR?
The prime necessities IMO are...

1)More better Optics.
2) Way to eliminate Fogging.

Any chance to see OCULUS CV1 Fresnel Hybrid optics in Gear VR?

To eliminate fogging i think we need active cooling, which also double up as defogger.

3) More thin unit and even sleek body to make it truly pocket-able with semi rigid cloth cover carry case....

One more ingredient to "Perfect Pie" is slab that powers GVR

Phone which do not bomb the bank account ...
Like Galaxy S7 Lite (without WQHD screen)...FHD screen may reduce the price also pump up power to handle app can prolong battery life too.

What others on this forum think?
13 REPLIES 13

strokercrate
Adventurer
The ability to self adjust the alignment. No matter what device i use im always slightly listed left until i shake my head at an angle from lower left to upper right. It levels for awhile and slowly goes back to a left list.

bbagnall
Protege
Number 1: Head tracking
Number 2: Hand tracking

Dilip
Rising Star
by Head Tracking do you mean "Positional Tracking"? As head tracking is already there... there is external gyro sensor already built in Gear VR all iteration and it does not depend on sensors of phone for head tracking.

Hand tracking is already in process,May hit market sooner than we expect..
just google "Rink"

Fulby
Heroic Explorer
Positional head tracking - I haven't a Rift or Vive yet but Carmack and others have said how important it is for presence.

Also as a developer I'd like USB data passthough. I'm worried I'm going to break the USB port with the constant plugging and unplugging. (I should be able to use Wifi to copy the game from Unity to the S6 but it's many times slower for some reason.)

I'm personally not worried about hand tracking. I haven't tried it but without haptic feedback I worry it's more disconcerting than helpful.

Obsidianago
Honored Guest
The option to move the adjustment of each eye separately.  I'm desperately looking for some way to do it on current gen even if I have to cut the thing to pieces myself.

Dilip
Rising Star
IPD adjustment is even absent in CV1 of Oculus Rift. Will they include it in Gear VR?

Oculus Rift has different approach instead of moving optics their adjustment slider moves displays from near to far. Its impossible to do so in mobile as its being single display.

BolajiFlowshow
Explorer
all i want is a higher resolution 4k and a store full of more content  , and for the screen to be a lot more clearer. they already have a fantastic screen tho, but trust me, these hardware developers can achieve way way more!  i trust them !

Dilip
Rising Star
crisp display is most desirable but keeping FoV 96 degree or up is also critical. Improvement in lens technology can  also reduce screen door and aberrations

kingkong90210
Honored Guest

The option to move the adjustment of each eye separately.  I'm desperately looking for some way to do it on current gen even if I have to cut the thing to pieces myself.

i did just that, it's not hard, and you don't have to cut much - see my other post