cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just To Confirm: DisplayPort and DVI Adapters DO Work!

cybereality
Grand Champion
So people keep asking about this so I did a test tonight.

I can confirm that passive DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapters DO work without problem on the consumer Rift. In addition, regular DVI-to-HDMI adapters (like the one that came with the DK2) also work fine.

Keep in mind that I was using an Nvidia GTX 980 for this test, and your video card will still need to be compatible and capable of the bandwidth needed for VR.

Here are the ones I used:
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B00K0UDYLM
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-Female-Adapter/dp/B007NLEF3W

WARNING: Active adapters DO NOT seem to work.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
139 REPLIES 139

SkateZilla
Expert Protege
There are other colorspaces other than YUV, I use 10-Bit HDMI for Studio work and bandwidth of 1920x1200 Exceeds 11GB/Sec.

For Example:
2160x1200x90Hz @ 32Bit Color

YUV 4:2:0 is 11.20 Gbps (1.40Gb/s)
YUV 4:2:2 is 14.95 Gbps (1.87Gb/s)
YUV 4:4:4 is 22.40 Gbps (2.80Gb/s)
RGB 4:4:4 is 22.40 Gbps (2.80Gb/s)
CMYK is 29.9 Gbps

galopin said:

The only way i can imagine for the rift to work with the current bandwidth limitation with a dvi to hdmi passive adapter is by using a Ycbcr 4:2:2 signal. This only need 66% of the bandwidth and 2160*1200*32*90*2/3 = 4.6Gb/s compared to 6.9Gb/s for a full 444 signal ( i don't know how you compute "CV1 is 8.0-11.20Gb/sec" @SkateZilla ).

It would be easy to test, by outputting interleaved lines and see what happen 🙂 Maybe in 2017 when my rift will arrive...

boggie1688
Protege
I ordered a bunch of displayport to hdmi adapters and dvi to hdmi adapters from monoprice.

I'll report back if they work. 

I'm using my hdmi for the Oculus, and will use all the adapters for my headless hdmi adapters.

SkateZilla
Expert Protege

Looking at Pins, that looks like a Dual Link DVI->HDMI Adapter,

While it will fit on nearly every DVI-D Port, Not all DVI Ports are Dual Link.
(it MSI's 7970 Lightnings, they have the Pins for Dual Link, but both Ports are Single Link, though a few of us w/ modded BIOS think it's actually Dual Link when not using the 2nd DVI-I Port). 

But MSI has stated it's Single Link. so..

SkateZilla
Expert Protege
looks like Single Link HDMI adapter is a nogo,
Then again Im still cursing at Microsoft Windows Update to install the 2 hotfixes so Rift Software will install, then I'll try on my backup computer, which has an HDMI port on its GPU, while I wait for mine to ship.

Windows sees the Unit, but will not let me select over 1080p, and the unit obviously dont recognize the signal.

SkateZilla
Expert Protege
FInally got everything to Detect again (Etron USB3 is a PITA)

Anyway, this is what I see when I start Oculus Software, Pretty sure it's because it's trying to come through single link DVI.

Hopefully a 4K Adapter MiniDP to HDMI works.

ieg9lvalrxi2.jpg

magicarpet
Explorer

Hi cybereality,
could you pls. check if the Cable Monster DP-HDMI adapter supports 2160p @ 60Hz?
I asked to Amazon but I haven't received any answer yet.

Thanks a lot
M_C

SkateZilla
Expert Protege

Hi cybereality,
could you pls. check if the Cable Monster DP-HDMI adapter supports 2160p @ 60Hz?
I asked to Amazon but I haven't received any answer yet.

Thanks a lot
M_C

Supports 4K @ 24Hz

SkateZilla
Expert Protege
Would a MDP -> HDMI 2.0 work better than a MDP -> HDMI 1.4?

cybereality
Grand Champion
I believe 1.4 should be enough but I don't think HDMI 2.0 would hurt.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

SkateZilla
Expert Protege
hopefully this is my last issue, I've already side stepped or fixed everything else, lol.
Between Eltron USB, Side Loading 838 and 929 Hotfixes Because Windows Update and the Website were MIA Intermittently the last few days, I had to get the hotfix's MSU Files from the software cache of my other rig which already had it downloaded. 
 (I know I uninstalled the 838 hotfix a few times as it caused AVI Files to not play in WMP, but I've since moved onto better media players).

It's only gotta last long enough for me to build a new system w/ AM4/ZEN.

Just to note, there are other Aftermarket GPUs with Only MiniDP/DVI-SL other than the R9-296x2 listed on the Help Page.

HD7990, R7970 Lighting and A Few other R9-290s