cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unofficial workaround for “access control list not in canonical form” error during Oculus Setup

cybereality
Grand Champion

There’s a known issue where the Oculus installer (OculusSetup.exe) may not successfully complete due to a Windows registry issue, and instead asks you to reboot your computer. You can identify whether this is the issue you’re having by opening %LOCALAPPDATA%\Oculus\OculusSetup.log and looking for the error message “This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified.”

We have a potential fix for this issue in the upcoming release, but in the meantime, the following unofficial workaround may work for you. Warning: this workaround requires that you edit your Windows registry!

1) Run regedit.exe

2) In the left tree view, right-click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, select "Permissions..."

3) If a dialog comes up stating that the permissions are incorrectly ordered, click "Reorder"

4) Click "OK" in the permissions dialog to close it

5) Repeat step 2-4 on any of the following tree nodes that exist:

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Oculus VR, LLC

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Oculus VR, LLC/Oculus

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Oculus VR, LLC/Oculus/Config

After you make these changes, re-run OculusSetup.exe, and it should complete.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
34 REPLIES 34

ColinB
Adventurer

The consumer Oculus Rift is absolutely a consumer product. However it is for Windows PCs which have literally thousands of different hardware and software configurations, so there are edge-cases that can happen. We will work to smooth these out over time, but I'm pretty sure issues like this are in the minority.

You mean.that at the moment things are very similar to the DK2 release with windows?
I thought that this time around Oculus might have things a little tighter?
Looks to me like a bad repeat so far.
Reading the forums does not give confidence at all.
Let's hope that things get better before the CV1 is released commercially in shops.
Just imagine the poor sales folk with all those returns and curses.

soxfan335
Protege
Sounds like most that are having this issue are trying to use the dk2 with runtime 1.3 which oculus obviously do not give 2 shits about at this point, regardless of a statement here or there that dk2 would be ok, so my suggestion is to stick to 0.8 if u have dk2 for now.

I stayed at 0.8 and only updated te nvidia drivers, which saw a slight improvement and also there seems to be a slight change to the way thigs are rendered in stereo, as distant objects appear slightly more detailed but with increased aliasing and pixel crawl.
hush little babeh dont say a word and nevermind that noise u herrd :shock:

JuliuX
Explorer
I dont think so. I have unplugged dk2 totally, uninstalled it and cleaned registry. So the oculus software (in theory) cant know I pretend to use a DK2. I am made to this kind of stuff because Im a DK2 user, buy probably totally new users suffer this problem too, and now oculus is a commercial product.

I just cant install the software. The installation fails one time and another. Please oculus, repair the installer. News will be welcome !!

BoogerLicker
Honored Guest
Guys, search for oculussetup.log and resolve your error where indicated.   I had a firewall issue.

Frieda04
Honored Guest
Hi, today I wanted to install the new oculus runtime and everytime i get the error "RESTART COMPUTER
Sorry, we encountered an error during installation.". I don´t get the reorder message, so i don´t know, what to do now 😞 

Can anyone help me??? 

I found the error messages in my oculussetup.log: 
[Error] [01.04.2016 08:22:15] Error downloading oculus-dreamdeck-nux
[Debug] [01.04.2016 08:24:31] Removing temp directory.
[Warning] [01.04.2016 08:24:32] Couldn't remove temp directory.
[Error] [01.04.2016 09:31:37] Error downloading oculus-dreamdeck-nux
[Debug] [01.04.2016 09:31:50] Error sending analytics: Der Remotename konnte nicht aufgelöst werden: 'graph.facebook.com'

Thanks for helping!!

Anaximedes
Explorer
Well guys, this is really frustrating. I thought there was backwards compatibility with DK2. First of all: after near 15 times to install 1.3 runtime using the "one way system" installer with the same results, trying out reviewing order permisions from regedit, changing read only tags on C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Oculus folder (where everything begins), put in down firewall, antivirus and so on, finally I installed this runtime, so many time I've lost today trying to install.

First errors came when OculusSetUp tries to delete temp folders at the installation folder so I thought changing read only folder tag all will be done. NO. (There was so many temp installation folders as attempts I did, simptom of so many tries)

After that and seeing what says OculusSetup.log in the last lines of it, the first conclusion is that as I have installed 'Visual C++ 2015' redistributable when it tries reinstalling again Visual C++ 2015 it gives an error, arruining instalation. Well, after removing 'Visual C++ 2015' redistributable, things go on and right and finally I've got the runtime installed.

But, when following the steps to plug in the DK2 cables, sensor and so on, it says sensor is plugged in a non USB 3, what is false. Skip, skip, skip several alert messages that makes me to suspect that my DK2 (while waiting for the CV1 begin to be shipped some day outside USA) will not work fine over 1.3 runtime.

Really none of my develops nor some samples dowloaded from Oculus share repository works on 1.3.

Then, surfing forums and so on I found something really interesting: a switcher between five possible runtimes:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=240613

So following the video and readme, reinstalled 0.8 to the folder needed and.... voila, thing works fine again. I've got two runtimes installed and I can switch bewtween both, forwards and backwards without any issue.

Oculus guys, why not include something like this for developers who has DK2 0.8 running developments whule waiting for CV1?

Finally trying install Oculus Dreamdeck from store, and it works with DK2 changing runtime from 0.8 to 1.3 with the switcher. Now I have 0.8 and 1.3 developments running!!! Great!!!

Dr. Kaii, thank you and respect!

Anonymous
Not applicable
SEPERATE ISSUE RESOLVED:
Thanks for posting how to examine the logs. Mine was failing on installation of Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64). I had installed these as part of a UE4 install 2 days ago. I guess the oculus software really wants to be the one to install them. I went to Add/Remove Programs and un-installed the 2015 dists, rebooted and tried again. This time I was successful.
Its sad, my process involved it downloading the 800 megs, then when finished, failing. So each time I had to re-download the same 800megs... Sad it wasn't cached somewhere. Oh well, only took three times to guess the issue. Wierd though, they've had us as beta testers for a couple years now. Why are we seeing so many install issues day one? Thanks everyone for helping, back to the install... (crossing fingers I won't run into anything else)

JuliuX
Explorer
I'm glad you found a solution. Unfortunally, most of us don't have any idea of the problem, because no log file is created during the installation progress. So, still waiting.

MrKaktus
Explorer
How to exit "Adjust Your Focus" step limbo? I don't see anything in HMD, I cannot move back with the arrow, I cannot cancel setup and start it again. Madness.

codejoy
Honored Guest
I want to throw in my two cents here.  This issue I had after an upgrade to windows 10, so I thought but in fact what it was is I upgraded windows 10 to start also doing UWP xbox one development as well.  That requires a visual studio 2015 update 2 install which I am guessing installs these redistributables as well.  So thanks @PatrickHager for your idea there, led me to the solution as well.  Now to see if I can reinstall that update 2 after getting my rift running.