cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else a little underwhelmed?

Jams3793
Protege

So I have spent two days with my CV1, I had never tried any of the development models so I was excited to say the least.  During the past two days I have been having fun but I have some sticking points that I just cant ignore.

The real killer for me is the resolution, I know its been discussed previously but we wouldn't be PC gamers if we didn't want to get the best performance possible out of any of our devices. Most of us will be used to gaming in the absolute highest resolution possible, in some cases 4K.

While playing the various tech demos, Adr1ft, Time Machine VR and Chronos, I just cant help feel that the resolution really holds the experience back from realising its true potential.  Especially when you take the set off and see the game on your desktop looks crystal clear.

After about 50 minutes of using the set it starts to heat up and you become pretty conscious that you have a screen on your face, this along with the resolution issues starts to make the experience a little uncomfortable.

116 REPLIES 116

Jams3793
Protege

What are you playing?

Synthetic
Rising Star
I think not only do the screens have to increse in destiny.... um density... but the lens technology has to improve with it... now im a beginner at lenses as never had glasses... I am thinking mor and more about refraction dynamics and lenses

my only other gripe is along the same thing and that is viewing distance... it seems in anything you can only see about 100meters in front of you then it gets too pixelly and blurred... so distance plays a big factor...

maybe a zoom function would be good?

I am still on the fence.... It depends on how long my DK2 will work... there is no going back now once you have a pair of goggles you dont want to not have any. There is no word on how long the DK2 will work tho... what if the DK2 works all the way up to CV2?

redmantab
Protege

jaimi said:

From someone who has a DK1, DK2 and a CV1, I have to say I am not underwhelmed at all with the CV1. I'm really happy with the resolution of the new CV1. There was a *lot* of wasted pixels in the DK1/DK2 screens because of the lenses, and the single screen. Moving to the dual screen and fresnel lenses allow them to utilize much more of the screen, and they're higher resolution. The overall effect feels much greater than simply comparing screen resolutions, because it uses the screen real-estate better.  Is it perfect? No, it's not. But it's pretty close.
Purely pulling numbers out of the air, and using my purely subjective opinion, This is what the resolutions felt like to me.  The DK1 felt like it was about 320x200. Yeah, it was really blocky. The DK2 did better - it felt somewhere between there and 640x400. Almost, but not quite. The CV1? Finally starts to look Hi-def. I know the resolution is higher, but it *feels* like a 720p experience. That's fine by me. I understand if you're a perfectionist, that's not good enough. For me, it's great .  

I have been wanting someone to summarize a comparison like this.  Thank you!  

Any thoughts on naeseousness in the CV1 being lessoned compared to the dk2?  I have a dk2 and am waiting 3 more weeks for my cv1.

thanks

Zoomie
Expert Trustee

cmfockler said:

I do agree that the unit gets a little warm after an hour or so and I think a lightweight cooling fan would have been a nice addition.

I've seen a few people mention this.  I wonder if the tight seal of the HTC is trapping heat against the face as an unintended consequence.  People haven't complained about the Rift overheating, but it has a nose gap and people complain about light leak instead.  First world problems 🙂
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Electryic
Protege
If you find yourself wanting higher resolution, then in my opinion, that means either the game was not done correctly or is not meant to be in VR.   

shadowfrogger
Heroic Explorer
Remember, everything is rendered at 1.2-1.4 times the resolution to combat distortion. 1280×1080per eye is actually around 1700x1400.
Perfect 4k would be closer to rendering at 5.5k
Visit my amateur homegrown indie game company website! http://www.gaming-disorder.com/

Just some random thoughts...

Are there even higher resolution displays that run at 90Hz?

Too many people think cv1 is the end game....this is just the beginning!

As FOV increases (even just a few degrees).... So does the raw horsepower needed to run it. For example, my MacBook 2013 MacBook Air could run Tuscany at 75 fps when the FOV was about 45 degrees. When it was pushed up to the full 100 degrees, (55 more) it's was down to about 8-10 fps. Huge difference.

Oculus concentrated on the fundamentals for great VR. They could have easily released the dk2 as consumer...but they pushed on. Now we have SDK 1.3 with ATW. They are clearly making a product that is as good as we can do for now.

SickleFoot
Protege
This thread makes me sad.

unkvr
Explorer

This thread makes me sad.

Don't be. After having friends over and playing the Vive a while, absolutely no one has said anything about the screen resolution, it was a non-issue.

Heck some of us play 2600/Genesis games on a 1080p display and never give it a second thought. It's the content that matters more than the technical quality. There's even Stardew Valley and Factorio for cripes sake, talk about your coarse 'resolution'. Does it make those games suck? No. Wish they were high rez? Sure. Does it matter to enjoy them? No. We're playing both and loving them.

I think we're at the low-rez point in vr's revolution path, the next step will be hd, where resolution kind of fades into the background, then 4k where it's tough to spot it at all.

If they start releasing really good vr games right now, most of us will look past the lower rez effect and enjoy the content. Just about everything at the moment is short demos, indie games, and rehashes of old stuff that we've played before and notice other distractions the second time around. Wait until a new A list game suddenly hits in full vr, resolution will just not matter any more, and there will be a second run on units for sure.

Regardless, at this point in time it is what it is, we're exploring the edges of this new dimension, and it's not going to get better until CV2 and Vive2, and then CV3 and Vive3. So either grit your teeth and decide to enjoy watching a almost clear as a bell fish swim by a foot from your face which is really freaky close and reach out to swat it away, or just quit reading/watching/hoping for two to four more years then buy a newer vr unit and you'll be happy.

With some noise cancelling/closed back headphones on with either of these units, and a dark creepy place to start out walking around where behind the next corner a fanged monster/ghost/axe wielding psycho will jump out three feet in front of you is waiting,resolution will be the least of your worries. Truly epic scary stuff is gonna come out.

I can't wait, and I'm happy now!

BOO!

Gigantoad
Adventurer
Hear a lot of 4k wishes. Are you guys aware that even 4k would still not be enough to get a sharp image you're used to from a monitor?