cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hydra Cover Shooter - VR FPS (Updated to v1.0)

Teddy0k
Explorer
Hello Riftheads,

Here's my latest game for the Oculus Rift and Razer Hydra;

Download v1.0 here: https://mega.co.nz/#!ANAR0JTQ!RBNYOm6loV86LB0evdNE0GElchEqveoKBJqvqv7MIu8

Here's a new level made by Kent - kentjoster@gmail.com

Warehouse Download Link - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6xCDM2whLWdExCd3NzTDhrZVU/edit?usp=sharing

Here's a some more videos;

It's using the control scheme from my HydraDeck Demo. It has position tracking for your body (via a Hydra attached to your chest) which allows you to take cover behind columns and duck behind boxes to avoid the incoming enemy fire. The enemies are robots with plasma rifles who lay down some serious suppressing fire. To survive, you'll need to pop up from behind cover and take your shots, or blind fire around corners and hope to hit them.

The position tracking adds a tonne to the immersion of being in a virtual world. Please be careful when playing this demo, lots of people try to support themselves on the crates when they try to stand up or when leaning up against a column, but find there is nothing there!

Just like my last HydraDeck demo, players seem to get very little simulation sickness from this demo. If you do feel any, I'd love to hear from you.

As I mentioned in the video, I've released the UDK level assets and editor, so if anyone is interested in building some of their own levels you can download it here;
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1KRnJKwYT-0Tmx3djZXZlNCS00

And if you'd like to implement something similar in UDK, here's the source code;
https://mega.co.nz/#!ZdgHkAhZ!Llo4BlFJeXxknw1fMdL6TQFp3WYN82tkHIusbEcB_Aw

v1.0 changelist
-Updated to the new Septemeber 2013 UDK. Now has working yaw drift calibration, reads in IPD settings from Oculus Config util, etc
-Fixed a whole bunch of calibration issue people were having

v0.4 changelist
-Added laser sword. It can cut through your enemies and deflect their shots back at them. Stretch out with your feelings.
-Disabled reload feature by default. You can turn it on in the UDKGame\Config\DefaultGame.ini file if you like

v0.3 changelist
-Added reloading. Press the Right Bumper to eject the magazine, then touch the gun to your body to insert a new mag
-Added an UZI. Fires really fast and thus has to reload lots!
-Added a hand grenade. Hold the trigger to pull the pin, then lob and let go of trigger to throw. I find throwing over arm or rolling it along the floor works best!
-Added real physics and sounds to empty shell casings
-Decreased size of head hit box to a more human size
-Made players health regenerate faster
-Fixed players need to recalibrate after the map restarts
-Made "Point at Hydra Base" calibration require a trigger pull by default. I think this will fix a lot of people's calibration issues

v0.2 changelist
-Changed run button to joystick button (push the joystick in)
-Rewrote body tracking rotation, it will now work with the Left Hydra attached anywhere on your chest or back, facing in any direction
-Improved body tracking when leaning to the side or bending over, should match up much better
-Added new calibration step to calculate Hydra Base height (touch the floor)
-Added new calibration step to calculate offset from chest to neck/head (touch back of your neck)
-Added new Turtle enemy
-Added new Thug enemy
-Added new bullet impact effect to give you better feedback when you miss (thanks JamesMcCrae!)
-Added reload to the gun when you press rb (bumper button) NOTE: currently disabled. Turn it on in the config files to test it out
-Tweaked bots tracking of the player to be slightly less aggressive
-Tweaked bots movement speed to be faster, so they can dash between cover
-Reduced the size of the player's hitbox to more closely match your head size
-Improved positional tracking of player's gun
-Improved framerate by reducing the ScreenPercentage default value to 150
207 REPLIES 207

drewbdoo
Honored Guest
So, I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong. I never got into your hydradeck because it never seemed to be working correctly for me either.

I start the .bat file and sometimes I get the "Point both hydras at the base and pull the triggers" but it goes to the "Attach left hydra" screen almost immediately. I take an ace bandage and strap the left controller to my chest, put on the rift, grab the right hydra and the gun is somwhere off on its own. When I bring the right controller to my face, it is about 2 feet to the left. I can manage to run over and hide behind the crate, but can't line up a shot for the life of me. I end up closing one eye and rotating my hand around until the laser lines up and maybe get a shot or two before I die. :cry:

ale
Honored Guest
I didn't really like HydraDeck, but man, this is awesome! The position of the gun is slightly off for me, but you tend to forget that as soon as bullets start flying. The positional tracking of the head seems to work extremely well.

The movement isn't analog, is it? Would it be hard to implement?

Teddy0k
Explorer
"drash" wrote:
Very cool game -- definitely a good way to get a workout going haha. The whole calibration part is easy -- I threw on a shirt with a front pocket and threw my left Hydra controller in there.

I wasn't able to get too far after that because my right Hydra controller's thumbstick wasn't moving my character the way I expect it to. Pushing up on the thumbstick moved the character to the right instead of forward.
Thanks drash 🙂
When you put the Hydra in your front pocket, are the buttons facing the ceiling? This is how I always place it in my bumbag, so there's a possibility that if you had it upside down that could flip the body rotation.

"drash" wrote:
Also, I went through the readme first and saw that there was a place to set up my IPD, so I chased down the HydraCoverShooter\UDKGame\Config\EditorEngine.ini and changed the EyeDistance value to 0.0666 instead of 0.064 (I have an evil IPD), and the result was stereoscopy that I could barely tolerate
Not sure if you made a typo there, but the IPD setting is in DefaultEngine.ini

All the stereoscopic rendering is part of the UDK, so it should be exactly the same as in any other UDK demo. I have a lucky 0.064 IPD, so I've never had to tweak it. If you're sure it's wrong, I'll ask if the Oculus team can review this in their next UDK update

"drewbdoo" wrote:
I get the "Point both hydras at the base and pull the triggers" but it goes to the "Attach left hydra" screen almost immediately. I take an ace bandage and strap the left controller to my chest, put on the rift, grab the right hydra and the gun is somewhere off on its own.
You don't need to pull the triggers, only point it at the base and it should calibrate automagically. Are you also attaching the left hydra with the buttons facing towards the ceiling?

Another thing worth pointing out is if the left hydra rotation can be re-calibrated at any time by pressing any button on the left controller. I wonder if you bandage is making it hold down a button?

There's an easy way to check your calibration, if you look down at your feet, you should see a black arrow, which indicates the direction your body is facing, like so;

If that doesn't match up, something has gone wrong.

"grafix" wrote:
Teddy. Long time 🙂
Wasn't exactly expecting to see your head pop out from behind that headset 😛
Oh my god, hi grafix! Long time no see! Time to make another Dystopia?! 😉

HealthPhysics
Honored Guest
This is super awesome. The best I have tried so far, easily. It felt really good duck and gunning. Please let me open the door and fight up the staircase after I've finished the first waves off. I'll give you money today. It was so stoked when shot the lock and thought the door was going to open for more.

______
My thoughts:
Let me adjust the gun position to my hand. A fudge button, that reduces movement and rotation by 50% while it is held. This would let me adjust orientation to make the weapon feel just right in my hand, and allow me to grip the hydra any way I want and still aim hand-forward. ( I like to palm the very top so the grip angle feels flatter to the trigger.)

It would be like racheting, and have intuitive visual feedback.

freerunnering
Honored Guest
Very impressive demo!
This really shows the advantages of positional tracking in purely gameplay terms (as well as immersion).

Any chance of an OSX build? (I haven't used UDK but can't it export as an OSX application quite simply?)

320x200
Explorer
"HealthPhysics" wrote:
Please let me open the door and fight up the staircase after I've finished the first waves off. I'll give you money today. It was so stoked when shot the lock and thought the door was going to open for more.

Don't give up on that door after the first wave... 🙂

The position tracking really takes things to the next level. I almost never forget my IRL position/reality while using the Rift but at least twice in that second area I reached out to the small wall to help pull myself up haha

I get motion sick easy so I was eager to try this out. It wasn't bad. Still have nausea when using the stick to move from cover to cover of course, but overall it was better than a lot of demos for not getting sick. I did seem to be getting a bit of lag in my position movement and my rift wasn't syncing up 1:1 with the scale of my movements which made me a bit woozy, but we're talking way way less than most demos where the disconnect between movement and visuals is 100%.

Teddy0k
Explorer
"HealthPhysics" wrote:
Please let me open the door and fight up the staircase after I've finished the first waves off. I'll give you money today. It was so stoked when shot the lock and thought the door was going to open for more.
Try it again. You only found the first part of the puzzle 🙂

"HealthPhysics" wrote:
Let me adjust the gun position to my hand. A fudge button, that reduces movement and rotation by 50% while it is held. This would let me adjust orientation to make the weapon feel just right in my hand, and allow me to grip the hydra any way I want and still aim hand-forward.
That's a very interesting concept. Well to start with I could add a rotation offset to the .ini files pretty easily if you'd like to try that out. For the positioning, which direction is it feeling wrong when you're facing the hydra base? Too high, too low, too far left, etc?

"freerunnering" wrote:
Any chance of an OSX build? (I haven't used UDK but can't it export as an OSX application quite simply?)
I don't think it's possible to get the UDK Hydra dlls to work on OSX, or if there's an equivalent. A quick search of the interwebs shows up nothing 😞

Teddy0k
Explorer
"320x200" wrote:
I get motion sick easy so I was eager to try this out. It wasn't bad. Still have nausea when using the stick to move from cover to cover of course, but overall it was better than a lot of demos for not getting sick. I did seem to be getting a bit of lag in my position movement and my rift wasn't syncing up 1:1 with the scale of my movements which made me a bit woozy, but we're talking way way less than most demos where the disconnect between movement and visuals is 100%.
Interesting. Did you use the run button at all? I'm guessing slower movements are easier to handle if you're prone to motion sickness?

Also, did you configure your IPD in the ini settings? UDK doesn't work with the Oculus profile tool yet, so you'll need to enter it manually. And did your PC get 60 fps? You probably need a pretty beefy machine to get good framerate too. Both these things should help a little with the lag and disconnect

320x200
Explorer
Oops, I mean my hydra wasn't syncing up 1:1, not the rift.

Yeah, no run button at all. Best movement for motion sickness is an absolute crawl straight forward with no strafing.

I did set the IPD but I am far from 60fps, looks like about 30. I think I was getting a bit of sway in the way I had attached the hydra the first time (the glamorous "sock duct taped sidways to the t-shirt" method). It seemed better a second time around with more tape for a tighter mount.

grafix
Honored Guest
"Teddy0k" wrote:
Oh my god, hi grafix! Long time no see! Time to make another Dystopia?! 😉

Hell freakin' yes. With our current skill levels I reckon it's a helluva lot more achievable 🙂

Until you're ready to get cracking on that - I have a super-simple & accessible one-button VR game design I'm building in Unity - I'd like to run past you & hear your thoughts? 🙂
-- Fix