Did you mean: 

Tested: Rift and Vive comparison.

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
43 REPLIES 43

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
It's official. The Vive is for people with big heads. 😄

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Luciferous
Consultant
No surprise there 😉

FengShuiEngine
Honored Guest
The Rift, hardware wise, seems to be a more polished product. 

bigmike20vt
Visionary
sounds good.. whilst I fully believe room VR with hand tracked controllers is the future, i can wait a few months...
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Comfort wins here as far as Tested are concerned and for that the Rift comes out on top.  Lots of ifs and buts and perhaps they didn't focus very much on room-scale movement specifics, but they said, if they could choose just one HMD for the next 12 months it would be the Vive hands down. However, on the flip side they said they wished the experiences they had on the Vive were on the Rift because it's much more comfortable. So when Touch releases the Rift will be more comfortable and probably their preferred device.

That's what I got from their conclusion anyway.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Zoomie
Expert Trustee

It's official. The Vive is for people with big heads. 😄

ktzgyjv100sg.png

I hear it also accommodates glasses better than the Rift.

Coincidence?
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
@Zoomie "Coincidence?" I don't think so! :lol: 

jademan
Heroic Explorer
Nice summary by a reddit user (from https://redd.it/4eat5g)  for those that don't want to watch whole video:

[–]yu265545 72 points 2 hours ago* 

SUMMARY:

FOV Advantage - None

Neither Norm or Jeremy could tell the difference.

Sweet Spot Advantage - Rift

Both agreed that in the Rift, more of the screen is in focus

Brightness Advantage - None

They both agreed that the Vive is noticabally brighter, but they don't suggest it gives any advantage (in fact Jeremy stated that the increased Vive brightness did not "bother" him).

SDE Advantage: Rift

Norm notices the subpixels more on the Vive than the Rift. Jeremy: prefers sharpness of the oculus display (despite that he noticing more pixels because of the sharpness)

Facial Interface Advantage for Glasses: None

Each have different pressure points - Temple for Rift, Nose for Vive

Headset IPD Adjustments Advantage: Vive

Vive has a little more range

Comfort Advantage: Rift

Norm: Rift has almost no pressure Jeremy: Vive can't distribute weight as well Both mentioned this is the biggest difference between two Vive is better for huge massive noggins as the Oculus straps may not be long enough

Audio Advantage: Rift

Norm: Rift Integrated Audio is really great. Vive Earbuds not most comfortable and 3rd party headset is a hassle Rift microphone is great

Tracking Advantage: Rift?

Norm: Precision is not problem at all for both. Oculus is more versatile, easier to set up, had no range problems. VIVE was less reliable, loss of tracking, jitteriness. If you lose tracking on Rift, there is no visual indicator that you have lost tracking base it switches to rotational. Jeremy: Vive sensors more efficient. Vive is amazingly well tracked but he did lose tracking and controllers flying out of his hand. Has not experienced any of the that on the Rift. Did state that the larger tracking area of Vive vs. Rift may affect the tracking problems

Roomscale Advantage: Vive

Vive has passthrough camera, cable length, chaperone etc. However, Vive cable is heavier. Lot of unknown given Touch not out.

Tracked Controllers Advantage: Vive

Vive has it

Home vs. Steam advantage: Prefer Steam?

More people familiar with Steam, friends list is not functional on Home, Steam more flexible,

Bottom Line:

If you can only use one headset for the next 12 months - Vive - tracked controllers are game changing. If you are talking about long term, lots of unknown variables. Vive will not get any lighter while Rift will not get passthrough camera.

Norm: "Everytime I play a Vive game, 10 minutes in, I think to myself, boy I wish I could play this exact same with the tracked controllers wearing an Oculus Rift

Jeremy: "I can say the exact same sentence, in fact when yesterday I was playing on the Vive, I had to take it of and say, UGH, I really miss my Oculus Rift, because it is just so much more comfortable"

Jeremy: If Touch was out now, there would be a lot less favorability with the Vive

Zoomie
Expert Trustee

I'm only surprised by two items here. 

1.  No FOV difference?  I'm continually surprised by this.  My only explanation is that human peripheral vision is a funny thing.  We use it mostly for movement detection so people may not realize they're missing it.  Vive users may still 'see' more, but Rift users apparently won't miss what they're missing. 

2.  Rift wins for tracking?  This flies in the face of what most reviewers say.  I'm as happy as anyone that they had no range problems with Constellation.  But my Spidey Sense says their Vive may not have been set up correctly.  The people with Lighthouse tracking problems seem to have sub-optimal emitter placement.  Something to keep an eye on.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke