cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tested: Rift and Vive comparison.

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
43 REPLIES 43

This will not go down well - there will be a lot of abuse in the comments section of that video lol
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar

@Zoomie add a third surprise to your list, the contrast.  Darker darks and lighter lights is something to consider and the Vive has a bit better contrast.  I have a feeling the difference is caused more by the lens than the screen, but I haven't removed my lenses to confirm this.

The Vive has a larger FOV, so maybe they were wearing glasses.  I don't wear glasses and I can notice the extra FOV right away.

We shouldn't even compare the tracking solutions until Touch is out.  I haven't lost tracking on either the Rift or the Vive while in game, and I have experienced ZERO judder in both HMD's, so I am not sure what they were testing with.

i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star

Zoomie said:

2.  Rift wins for tracking?  This flies in the face of what most reviewers say.  I'm as happy as anyone that they had no range problems with Constellation.  But my Spidey Sense says their Vive may not have been set up correctly.  The people with Lighthouse tracking problems seem to have sub-optimal emitter placement.  Something to keep an eye on.

As far as i can tell their setup of the lighthouses is ok but it seems they used some kind of tripod stands as opposed to wall mounting so maybe the vibrations of the lighthouse boxes had something to do with it. In their Vive review you can see the lighthouse placement in the Vive setup.

Ruojis
Honored Guest
Sooo if you couldnt care less about waving your hands in "games" that are just tech demos and just want to play racing/flying sims get oculus rift.

Gigantoad
Adventurer
We should probably look at things more based on games. What good is room scale if there are no games around? How long do you think throwing stuff around in Job Simulator is going to be fun?

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar

Hover Junkers, Vanishing Realms, and Space Pirate Trainer are more compelling than anything I have done in VR to date.  If you think the Vive is just offering demos, you have your blinders on.

i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Hover Junkers, Vanishing Realms, and Space Pirate Trainer are more compelling than anything I have done in VR to date.  If you think the Vive is just offering demos, you have your blinders on.

ThreeDee can you post a Vive/Rift post mortem thread somewhere which outlines your feelings of both HMDs now that you've had a bit more time with them. Answering questions about which one you spend more time with, fav game, best non game app, most comfy etc. please? HTC have messed up UK distribution and so the wait is even more terrible. Rift ain't coming until May, so until then you're the only person trustworthy enough to post an honest opinion worth listening to.

What do you say about wearing the Vive more comfortably the higher up on the face it is. Apparently this makes the image much clearer?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Dreamwriter
Rising Star

@Zoomie add a third surprise to your list, the contrast.  Darker darks and lighter lights is something to consider and the Vive has a bit better contrast.  I have a feeling the difference is caused more by the lens than the screen, but I haven't removed my lenses to confirm this.

The Vive has a larger FOV, so maybe they were wearing glasses.  I don't wear glasses and I can notice the extra FOV right away.

We shouldn't even compare the tracking solutions until Touch is out.  I haven't lost tracking on either the Rift or the Vive while in game, and I have experienced ZERO judder in both HMD's, so I am not sure what they were testing with.

They weren't wearing glasses, only one of them wears glasses, and he takes them off when he uses VR.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar

@Dreamwriter then I am baffled on how they can't see the extra FOV of the Vive.  I noticed it instantly.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
@Shadowmask72 would you mind asking me those questions in my Vive/Rift pros and cons thread?  I would like to keep all my comparisons in one place for easy viewing.  I will get back to answering questions on that thread this afternoon.