Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tested: Rift and Vive comparison.

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
43 REPLIES 43

IlIfadeIlI
Protege
Can always count on Tested for some great unbiased information.  Love it.

StreetPreacher
Adventurer
I'm really surprised to hear about the poor microphone quality on the Vive.  I mean, isn't HTC a CELL PHONE manufacturer?  Do their phones have crappy mics too?

frantic
Protege
Damn. That vid almost made me want to cancel my Day1 Vive order and get the Rift instead. But then I have to wait till August for an upgrade to my DK1! I'm sick and tired of waiting, so still going with Vive.

ECBL
Protege
Based solely on reviews and current content, I'm really glad I went with the Rift.
There was a time where I was leaning more towards the Vive because it had the camera and tracked controllers, but I have a gut feeling Oculus will have good longevity.
@frantic dude, don't worry though, you're gonna love either one you finally get. If you're already in with a Vive preorder, just stick with it until next gen HMDs arrive. At the moment, both sets have their pros and cons.

Percy1983
Superstar
The video confirms I have ordered the better headset for me, it seems the only advantage the Vive has is motion controllers in the box which I am more than happy to wait for touch (which also looks good).

The more I look at the Vive the more I feel they have released there DK2, it does the job but it isn't refined.

Many wrote off the work Oculus were doing on comfort to to me it has given the headset a massive advantage.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar

Can always count on Tested for some great unbiased information.  Love it.

Usually I would agree with this statement, but they glossed over three major areas the Vive is better than the Rift.  Tracking, FOV, and Contrast are important for immersion and the Vive has the upper hand in these areas.  The mic quality is not bad either, I was able to understand the people in Hover Junkers on voice coms just fine.  It isn't like you will be recording music through it.

It is almost like these guys got paid to gloss over the pros of the Vive and act like the controllers were the only thing that made it better.  The fact of the matter is these HMDs have many trade-offs with each other.  The Vive is comfortable too, just not as comfortable for long periods as the Rift.  I have no issues with the Vive sliding around and my eyes stay perfectly in the sweet-spot.  The audio is more comfortable on the Rift, but the quality of sound is very similar on both HMD's. 
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

Percy1983
Superstar
I have heard the higher brightness on Vive but more brightness doesn't always equal more contrast.

Interestingly I run all my TVs and monitors at much lower brightness/backlights than many users to provide more real look, this started as I got use to looking at calibrated screens with photo/video work and from there started matching other displays.

Of course I can't confirm how this effects the 2 headsets but I can confirm brighter doesn't strictly mean better.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
@Percy1983 when speaking about contrast, I am not just talking about one end of the spectrum.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

Percy1983
Superstar
I will say I was talking in general terms.

From what I can see though the lens I am not seeing massive contrast differences, but of course I haven't seen with my own eyes through the lenses.

As said I will stick to my point I would rather have a dimmer display attached to my face as the overall image would probably look more real.

As a user of both would say say the contrast is massively wider on the Vive? likewise rather than asking which is brighter which looks more natural/real? I will say my tolerance/preference to dimmer displays maybe rather different to yours and appreciate there isn't a right or wrong answer.

Likewise can you confirm the SDE difference, from the video it looks like the Rift is much better in that regard.

Gigantoad
Adventurer

@Percy1983 when speaking about contrast, I am not just talking about one end of the spectrum.

These are OLED screens. the low end is going to be full black in both cases, isn't it?