cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The final cut

Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone pinched the 'so long and thanks for all the fish' header that I wanted to use, so this will have to do!

Thought about this for a couple of hours and I'll probably be cancelling my Rift when I get home from work. The email and new delivery date (love the way they say your date 'may' be later than the original - I bet not one person has got an earlier date!) is pretty much what I expected, but I wanted to give them a chance to prove me wrong. Which they blew. Not even a word of apology in the email.

My order has gone from March shipping to mid-late May. And, given the recent track record of moving the dates, I have no confidence whatsoever that Oculus can meet the May date. Maybe they'll be back on track by then, maybe not, but the amount of bullshit they've fed us has exhausted my patience.

Even if, by some miracle, I do get my Rift in May, what about Touch? Does anyone really believe it'll still be launching this year? Oculus are going to be shipping pre-orders until at least August. They also have to get stocks ready for those who have ordered bundles. Not to mention getting supplies of Rift into stores. If Touch is available as anything more than a 'pre-order' (how I wish there was a sarcasm button to use on those two words) this side of 2017, I'll eat my hat.

I think Rift Is potentially the better HMD. But I'm not going to give £500 of my hard earned money to a company who can't be honest with me. Anyone remember Palmer Luckey posting just before the launch (think it was on Reddit or Twitter) asking for trust? Trust is a two way thing. And I no longer trust Oculus.

Tl;dr

One too many fuckups from Oculus. I'm outta here.

27 REPLIES 27

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Oh noes not another one of these "I'm cancelling threads".  

At least you didn't mention getting a Vive instead. Bravo!

Only Joking.

On a serious note sock it to the man notsram, I believe people should be vocal about their frustrations because Oculus have got to be listening and learning from this.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I agree. Oculus may not be commenting, but you can guarantee they're watching here/reddit/twitter etc.

Although, I'm not sure how much they'll actually learn...

sjand
Protege
To be perfectly honest, at this point in the game I can't blame people for cancelling. It was crazy when the orders had been delayed by like a week or two and we were seeing people throw their toys out of the pram, but now we're talking about delays running into months and that's not how consumers expect to be treated ('early adopters' are still consumers, set apart from DK1/2 'investors' as far as I'm concerned). If I weren't in the highly fortunate position I find myself in regarding my order status, I'd likely be cancelling my order too.

ah notsram, you're one of my litmus tests... I kindred spirit even... well you know what I mean.

Anyway, i have a feeling if you cancel you won't be the only one by any means. Oculus could lose out to the competition in a big way unless something major hapens... and quick. If I was Oculus, I'd announce free Touch for all pre-orders by way of an apology.

I'm available for company crisis consultaion at any time by the way

Lemming1970
Rising Star
Close the door on you way out...
Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I also agree with your reservations about Touch. Maybe they are building them now to make sure that come release day there are enough for people to have day 1 without the kind of delays we're seeing now. However, I am not filled with a glowing confidence and we could see the same thing happening again which I'm sure would infuriate many people. Whilst my delay isn't that bad compared to others, I do feel the pain.

Fingers crossed Oculus offer some sort of recompense such as a free game, or discount on Touch (although discount on Touch is rubbish because they could just up the price to cover the discount much like they do in supermarkets).

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

If I was Oculus, I'd announce free Touch for all pre-orders by way of an apology.

I'm available for company crisis consultaion at any time by the way

Damn dude, living up to your namesake. Thank god you're not in charge at Oculus. ❤️

i'd run it worse? are you really saying that? my sister has a pet spanniel who could run it..... oh never mind

actually the more i think about it, Facebook can afford to announce free Touch's much more than they can afford to lose out to the competition, especially if they plan to use Home as a gateway for social VR

Anonymous
Not applicable

Close the door on you way out...

I would... but I'm one of a very large queue.

Dunno if you follow Reddit, but the complaints on here are miniscule compared to on there.