New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Anyone else a little underwhelmed?

Comments

• SyntheticSynthetic Posts: 704
    Trinity
    I think not only do the screens have to increse in destiny.... um density... but the lens technology has to improve with it... now im a beginner at lenses as never had glasses... I am thinking mor and more about refraction dynamics and lenses

my only other gripe is along the same thing and that is viewing distance... it seems in anything you can only see about 100meters in front of you then it gets too pixelly and blurred... so distance plays a big factor...

maybe a zoom function would be good?

I am still on the fence.... It depends on how long my DK2 will work... there is no going back now once you have a pair of goggles you dont want to not have any. There is no word on how long the DK2 will work tho... what if the DK2 works all the way up to CV2?
  • redmantabredmantab Posts: 103
    Art3mis
    jaimi said:
    From someone who has a DK1, DK2 and a CV1, I have to say I am not underwhelmed at all with the CV1. I'm really happy with the resolution of the new CV1. There was a *lot* of wasted pixels in the DK1/DK2 screens because of the lenses, and the single screen. Moving to the dual screen and fresnel lenses allow them to utilize much more of the screen, and they're higher resolution. The overall effect feels much greater than simply comparing screen resolutions, because it uses the screen real-estate better.  Is it perfect? No, it's not. But it's pretty close.
    Purely pulling numbers out of the air, and using my purely subjective opinion, This is what the resolutions felt like to me.  The DK1 felt like it was about 320x200. Yeah, it was really blocky. The DK2 did better - it felt somewhere between there and 640x400. Almost, but not quite. The CV1? Finally starts to look Hi-def. I know the resolution is higher, but it *feels* like a 720p experience. That's fine by me. I understand if you're a perfectionist, that's not good enough. For me, it's great .  
    I have been wanting someone to summarize a comparison like this.  Thank you!  

Any thoughts on naeseousness in the CV1 being lessoned compared to the dk2?  I have a dk2 and am waiting 3 more weeks for my cv1.

thanks
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    cmfockler said:
    I do agree that the unit gets a little warm after an hour or so and I think a lightweight cooling fan would have been a nice addition.
    I've seen a few people mention this.  I wonder if the tight seal of the HTC is trapping heat against the face as an unintended consequence.  People haven't complained about the Rift overheating, but it has a nose gap and people complain about light leak instead.  First world problems :)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • ElectryicElectryic Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited April 2016
    If you find yourself wanting higher resolution, then in my opinion, that means either the game was not done correctly or is not meant to be in VR.   
  • shadowfroggershadowfrogger Posts: 502
    Trinity
    Remember, everything is rendered at 1.2-1.4 times the resolution to combat distortion. 1280×1080per eye is actually around 1700x1400.
    Perfect 4k would be closer to rendering at 5.5k
    Visit my amateur homegrown indie game company website!
    http://www.gaming-disorder.com/
  • FiveFingerStudiosFiveFingerStudios Posts: 70 Oculus Start Member
    Just some random thoughts...

Are there even higher resolution displays that run at 90Hz?

Too many people think cv1 is the end game....this is just the beginning!

As FOV increases (even just a few degrees).... So does the raw horsepower needed to run it. For example, my MacBook 2013 MacBook Air could run Tuscany at 75 fps when the FOV was about 45 degrees. When it was pushed up to the full 100 degrees, (55 more) it's was down to about 8-10 fps. Huge difference.

Oculus concentrated on the fundamentals for great VR. They could have easily released the dk2 as consumer...but they pushed on. Now we have SDK 1.3 with ATW. They are clearly making a product that is as good as we can do for now.
  • unkvrunkvr Posts: 15
    edited April 2016
    This thread makes me sad.
    Don't be. After having friends over and playing the Vive a while, absolutely no one has said anything about the screen resolution, it was a non-issue.

Heck some of us play 2600/Genesis games on a 1080p display and never give it a second thought. It's the content that matters more than the technical quality. There's even Stardew Valley and Factorio for cripes sake, talk about your coarse 'resolution'. Does it make those games suck? No. Wish they were high rez? Sure. Does it matter to enjoy them? No. We're playing both and loving them.

I think we're at the low-rez point in vr's revolution path, the next step will be hd, where resolution kind of fades into the background, then 4k where it's tough to spot it at all.

If they start releasing really good vr games right now, most of us will look past the lower rez effect and enjoy the content. Just about everything at the moment is short demos, indie games, and rehashes of old stuff that we've played before and notice other distractions the second time around. Wait until a new A list game suddenly hits in full vr, resolution will just not matter any more, and there will be a second run on units for sure.

Regardless, at this point in time it is what it is, we're exploring the edges of this new dimension, and it's not going to get better until CV2 and Vive2, and then CV3 and Vive3. So either grit your teeth and decide to enjoy watching a almost clear as a bell fish swim by a foot from your face which is really freaky close and reach out to swat it away, or just quit reading/watching/hoping for two to four more years then buy a newer vr unit and you'll be happy.

With some noise cancelling/closed back headphones on with either of these units, and a dark creepy place to start out walking around where behind the next corner a fanged monster/ghost/axe wielding psycho will jump out three feet in front of you is waiting,resolution will be the least of your worries. Truly epic scary stuff is gonna come out.

I can't wait, and I'm happy now!

BOO!

• GigantoadGigantoad Posts: 395
    Nexus 6
    Hear a lot of 4k wishes. Are you guys aware that even 4k would still not be enough to get a sharp image you're used to from a monitor?
  • Jams3793Jams3793 Posts: 22
    So I have been playing Elite Dangerous this morning on the CV1, this game is winning me over.  Its easily the best game I have played so far in terms of VR experience and immersion.

I played The Vanishing of Ethan Carter last night and it was the first game thats made me feel a little sick from the motion. 
  • jaimijaimi Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    redmantab said:

I have been wanting someone to summarize a comparison like this.  Thank you!  

Any thoughts on naeseousness in the CV1 being lessoned compared to the dk2?  I have a dk2 and am waiting 3 more weeks for my cv1.

thanks

The feeling is less for me. I actually had two different feelings with the DK1/DK2. Strapping them on and looking through them was uncomfortable, and made me generally feel a little nauseous. That's without movement. Maybe something to do with the eye distance not being adjustable?

I don't have that feeling anymore. Indeed, I've adjusted the eye setting (on the bottom) all the way out, and the rift looks great for me, and feels very comfortable.

There's zero problems in things that don't zoom around. 

Now, for the movement feeling - When playing lucky's tale, you quickly zoom around the game area following lucky as he does his mario like moves. While moving, it feels sort of like you're on a park ride. It's not as bad as it was on the Dk1/2. But it is still present. 
    Trinity
    you will always get "some" nausea its due to the inner ear not balancing/being out of alignment with the movement
  • vrplayvrplay Posts: 2
    first comment at this forums.    :)
    Trinity
    welcome play!
  • ChoronzonChoronzon Posts: 341
    Nexus 6
    The positive reactions of VRgins are not worth tuppence. Does anyone really take notice of 'Wow!' 'Oh my god!' 'Awesome!' and similar idiopathic exclamations? Wise old birds with non-excitable underpants get my vote.
  • RikkTheGaijinRikkTheGaijin Posts: 399
    Trinity
    Powerboy said:
    Wtf after read this topic i dont want my cv1 anymore!
    Than cancel your order so we can make room for people that actually want it.
  • BloodletBloodlet Posts: 739
    3Jane
    edited April 2016
    I've been using a DK2 for about 20 months now. It still gives me the wow factor everytime I put it on.
    Now with the 1.3 release it got even better with a smoother clearer experiance.

I haven't received my CV1 yet but I know it's going to been awesome. Even if there wasn't any improvement on the resolution. The extra comfort and better tracking would be worth it alone.

The only underwhelming I'm feeling so far is the botched launch with crazy delays. Also that alot of the devs of some of my favourite games in VR seem to be dragging their heels or being completely silent about updating to the new 1.3.

Still looking forward to my CV1 and hoping the games I want will be ready by then.
  • pjennesspjenness Posts: 692
    Neo

Good points someone mentioned above... For the last year or 2, Oculus DK2 was the only serious VR headset around. Many top youtubers used it with acclaims and success for it.

Also so many "Watch a VRgin try DK2" videos , showing amazing reactions ....heck its why I ordered one myself. And feel the same way.

As long as CV1 doesnt go backwards from DK2 (which by all accounts it hasnt) then it can only be a win for VR, and for VR devs. There are still so many VR newbies that this is going to blow their minds. And also the odd few that had 1 try on a DK2 some time ago will have a blast again.

Vive vs Rift...blah blah...it will go on...  but dev content will be the winning factor. As Developers utilise whatever hardware they have on/in hand VR will take massive strides forward. 2016 is gonna be Bonkers!!

-P

Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical

Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS?
    https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349
  • SickleFootSickleFoot Posts: 105
    unkvr said:
    This thread makes me sad.
    Don't be. After having friends over and playing the Vive a while, absolutely no one has said anything about the screen resolution, it was a non-issue.

Heck some of us play 2600/Genesis games on a 1080p display and never give it a second thought. It's the content that matters more than the technical quality. There's even Stardew Valley and Factorio for cripes sake, talk about your coarse 'resolution'. Does it make those games suck? No. Wish they were high rez? Sure. Does it matter to enjoy them? No. We're playing both and loving them.

I think we're at the low-rez point in vr's revolution path, the next step will be hd, where resolution kind of fades into the background, then 4k where it's tough to spot it at all.

If they start releasing really good vr games right now, most of us will look past the lower rez effect and enjoy the content. Just about everything at the moment is short demos, indie games, and rehashes of old stuff that we've played before and notice other distractions the second time around. Wait until a new A list game suddenly hits in full vr, resolution will just not matter any more, and there will be a second run on units for sure.

Regardless, at this point in time it is what it is, we're exploring the edges of this new dimension, and it's not going to get better until CV2 and Vive2, and then CV3 and Vive3. So either grit your teeth and decide to enjoy watching a almost clear as a bell fish swim by a foot from your face which is really freaky close and reach out to swat it away, or just quit reading/watching/hoping for two to four more years then buy a newer vr unit and you'll be happy.

With some noise cancelling/closed back headphones on with either of these units, and a dark creepy place to start out walking around where behind the next corner a fanged monster/ghost/axe wielding psycho will jump out three feet in front of you is waiting,resolution will be the least of your worries. Truly epic scary stuff is gonna come out.

I can't wait, and I'm happy now!

BOO!

Oh, I am not cancelling. It's such a roller coaster hearing the differing opinions from people. From those that have experience with DK's, to those that are VR virgins.

Then there's the whole room scale, wands, touch..I don't know which unit to go for! I have both on pre-order.

The only experience I have is with Google cardboard and I thought it was impressive for what it was, so surely I will be happier with these units.

My Oculus has a June shipping, which will probably be pushed back and the Vive states May shipping, so will probably keep whatever comes first, but I want both haha.

Thanks for your response.
  • Ruszek83Ruszek83 Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    edited April 2016
    Answer to your question...
    NO!
    Anyone who is underwhelmed is simply uninformed, did not pay attention the past year, or have unrealistic expectations...
  • PowerboyPowerboy Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited April 2016
    Powerboy said:
    Wtf after read this topic i dont want my cv1 anymore!
    Than cancel your order so we can make room for people that actually want it.

No.
  • SerVitorSerVitor Posts: 122
    Art3mis
    khjjg said:
    I used a CV1 the other day, and have no prior VR experience.  I was underwhelmed as well, but not enough to cancel.

If I could best describe the pixels and resolution, imagine turning on a game and running it at 800x600 on your 1080P monitor, then looking at it with your face about 6 inches from the screen.  
    To be honest i stopped reading right about there. the VR view and experience is nothing like that at all.....quite strange you describe it like that lol.

i5-4690k 16 gig Ram Win 7 64bit 8 gig ZOTAC AMP EDITION GTX1080
  • GigantoadGigantoad Posts: 395
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2016
    SerVitor said:
    khjjg said:
    I used a CV1 the other day, and have no prior VR experience.  I was underwhelmed as well, but not enough to cancel.

If I could best describe the pixels and resolution, imagine turning on a game and running it at 800x600 on your 1080P monitor, then looking at it with your face about 6 inches from the screen.  
    To be honest i stopped reading right about there. the VR view and experience is nothing like that at all.....quite strange you describe it like that lol.

In terms of resolution this doesn't sound so far off. Can you explain why you feel this is inadequate? I don't mean the whole experience, just the res ( and i think he did too).
  • Chewie71Chewie71 Posts: 142
    Underwhelmed? More like way overhyped!
  • RoasterRoaster Posts: 1,053
    3Jane
    The true believers were led to believe the Rift would be the best possible, but the decisions made along the path to the CV1 have led to disappointment. It's only been hyped by those who thought it was going to be better.
    Oculus might take notice of this effect, and clue to the fact that people spread their feelings to all who will listen, and it has results.  
    Hello Oculus ... I think a display should give top priority to image quality. That is the point, isn't it?
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • SerVitorSerVitor Posts: 122
    Art3mis
    Gigantoad said:
    SerVitor said:
    khjjg said:

In terms of resolution this doesn't sound so far off. Can you explain why you feel this is inadequate? I don't mean the whole experience, just the res ( and i think he did too).
    If he meant the resolution why does he say "imagine turning on a game running it at 800x600 then look at it at a distance of 6 inches from your face.   He is trying to give the impression that is what VR is.  It could not be further from the truth.  When something is in VR you are in the scene.  It is not a flat image.  Yes the resolution is not great (its certainly better than 800x600 though)  but his description was about as far from VR as you can possibly get.
    i5-4690k 16 gig Ram Win 7 64bit 8 gig ZOTAC AMP EDITION GTX1080
  • inimeg81inimeg81 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Not underwhelmed-- I think expectation and perspective going into this is important.  Take a look at the Iphone 1 and compare it today's iphone 6s plus.  This first gen product shows us that VR IS POSSIBLE - I've had a few 'holy shit what the fuck' moments that I haven't had since I was a kid (34).  I can't wait to see what the tech does in a few years and as early adopters we need to be there every step of the way and supporting it.. not just what it can't do but appreciate what it can and know that this should be just as revolutionizing as the iphone if not more.
  • L.E.D.BLUEL.E.D.BLUE Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    720p makes me sad too. :'(
  • crim3crim3 Posts: 385
    Nexus 6
    SerVitor said:
    Gigantoad said:
    SerVitor said:
    khjjg said:

If he meant the resolution why does he say "imagine turning on a game running it at 800x600 then look at it at a distance of 6 inches from your face.   He is trying to give the impression that is what VR is.  It could not be further from the truth.  When something is in VR you are in the scene.  It is not a flat image.  Yes the resolution is not great (its certainly better than 800x600 though)  but his description was about as far from VR as you can possibly get.
    I also find it a good description of how the pixel density looks like in a high FOV HMD. VR was amazing with the DK2 (I'm yet to try the CV1 Rift or the Vive, though). That doesn't mean that you can't talk about how the pixel density looks like.

In fact, I think that people should have a good idea of how the pixel density looks like in a VR HMD before the first try.
    We are all used to amazing resolutions and TV's the size of a wall nowadays, but people must understand and accept that consumer VR is at a different stage right now due to its own peculiarities (basically the high FOV and miniature displays) and enjoy VR for its unique ability to teleport you to computer generated synthetic worlds.