cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assetto Corsa (Dev Poll) : VR or Else Next for the best car racing game around ?

EldarDT7
Explorer
Assetto Corsa would like to assess interest for VR or other sim functionalities for their next update :
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/lets-play-game-designer.31615/
62 REPLIES 62

n8rockerasu
Protege
Well, he admits that the poll was "an educating experience" for him. So, hopefully that at least indicates that he realizes he undervalued VR.

It could also serve as a defense when Kunos works on VR support and the "anti-VR group" freaks out about it, he can say "Look...it got more votes than anything else. Accept the facts."

That's at least the way his comment reads for me. It wouldn't make sense to talk about people thinking their opinion is more valuable than others and recovering from their grandeur illusions...and then ignoring VR again.

Fingers crossed for AC on 1.3 soon. I miss my Lambos.

DerekSpeare
Adventurer
It's a no-brainer that VR would win.
derekspearedesigns.com

Bloodlet
Rising Star

It's a no-brainer that VR would win.

I wish this was true. Unfortunately alot of simracers seem to be anti VR. Something I struggle to get my head around. I can only assume they're sore at finding out their expensive multi screen setups are going the same way as the Video Cassette Recorders.
Whatever the reason they were actively (and loudly on the forums) fighting to stop the VR voteing.

They did have a valid point to make that at this time VR users only make up 1% of the player base. Something that should change dramatically once the shipping delays are behind us and more hmds are actually in the hands of users.

@n8rockerasu, i read it the same way. Am increasingly optimistic for an Assettop Corsa VR update... I wonder if all the promotion Steam has been giving VR lately has been softening the Anti-VR brigade's thinking.. or just polarizing it? anyway ProjectCARS is a blast while we wait for AC.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Change is something that has almost always been met with resistance in Sim-Racing circles. Good Sim's are few and far between so any scrap of development time is treated like raw meat among hungry wolves; what ensues is often, not very pretty. 🙂

I have to admit that I'm pretty bummed at the lack of VR support for the more hardcore Racing titles. iRacing should be getting support in the coming months but, I'm not fond of the subscription service and don't have enough play-time to utilize the multiplayer aspect very well.

ISI have suggested that they're unlikely to add VR support to rF2, AMS seems unlikely to get VR support until they make the move away from DX9 but, game progress may be stalled due to the copyright issues.  That really leaves AC as the next best option for VR IMO.

The only other hope for short-term VR support may be through third-party sources - something like FlyInside, only for Racing Simulations. If the game developers are unwilling to implement VR, I'd gladly support any effort to develop a third-party solution but, I wonder how much cooperation from the game developers is actually required.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
The way I see it, it was clear VR was not
stefano's  personal choice either, and yet he was man enough to accept it and not try to come up with some BS reason why VR votes were some how void.... being a VR fanboy and saying VR is important is one thing, but NOT being a VR fanboy and having your own pet love trumped.... and still accepting it means I actually respect him quite a bit....

Now I just hope they do actually get a wiggle on getting VR back in AC and not just pretend the vote never happened and release at end of summer anyway 😉
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

DerekSpeare
Adventurer
It's not the first time Kunos and some of the "outspokens" had incorrect assumptions.  I beat the drum loudly a few years back for proper three screen support when AC was prepping for alpha release.  I wrote Stefano, wrote on the forums and folks thought I was nuts...until the Race Department poll they made to prove me wrong spoke otherwise.  Kunos jumped on proper three screen support in nearly an instant after that...

Why Stefano is being resistant to VR - or has even any perceived resistance to it - is astonishing to me.  I'd expect that racing and flight sim developers see VR as a match made only in Heaven.  I mean, seriously...are we all crazy or is it some of the few loudly-spoke and misinformed voices who are?

Some do get it, however.  Scawen, the man behind Live for Speed nailed VR perfectly right from the Jump.  In fact, his implementation not only set the standard for really good racing VR almost on Day One, but it set the pace for others to follow.  PCars does VR very well.  iRacing and Dirt Rally are likely coming along.  These folks "get it" and see the reality of Virtual Reality.  

AC had nice VR in the early days...it's really bizarre why real focus to keep it that way isn't there.  Strange that a poll needed to be conducted to tell them what the facts over the past two plus decades were shouting all along.

Oh, and the only thing I miss about three screens now is a really big Windows desktop environment...I won't touch any games that don't do VR properly. 
derekspearedesigns.com

n8rockerasu
Protege
Ironically, I just saw this video posted today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlFKjWGxZqk

Kunos better get to work. They're getting lots of press and attention for a feature they currently don't support, lol. It's a simple truth, Stefano. Your game will help sell VR. And VR will help sell your game. This is one of those rare occasions where everybody wins.

Bloodlet
Rising Star
That's a really well done video. Enjoyed that. Thnx for the link.

Looking forward to Assetto getting back on board with VR.
Project Cars is great but the car handling isn't. The moment you lose grip in PCars it's like sliding on ice.
Assetto is more controlled and you can hold the drift. Really missing that.

complexz
Protege
I do really miss playing assetto corsa, it probably has the better gameplay between it and pcars, But playing in 2d, even with better gameplay, is kinda stale to me at this point when I can race in VR. So for now Pcars is where I do my driving. 

stupid VR really did kill all other racing games to me, if it doesn't have VR support I just can't give a shit. I know it's shallow but it's hard going back! I'll still play other genre's in 2d for a few more years I'm sure... but racing and flying are done... monitor is obsolete 🙂