cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I really let my wife down by putting my trust in Oculus.

Bossblood
Explorer
I originally wrote this on Reddit but it was suggested I also post it here.

I really let my wife down by putting my trust in Oculus.

My wife is in the military and I only get to see her 6 weeks a year. We always plan something special like a vacation, cruise, camping, etc when we know she will be home. This time, for the time ever we didn't plan to go anywhere. We are both avid gamers so we decided to spend our money and time on upgrading our computer and getting an Oculus Rift.

I got up early on the first day of pre-orders, spammed F5 and finally got my order in at 08:06 with a March delivery. I was happy. Now my wife and I can spend some time together at home enjoying something we have been looking forward to for years. If I knew Oculus wouldn't be delivered on time I would have ordered a HTC Vive the day pre-orders opened but I didn't even bother because I believed in Oculus.

Now my wife has been home for 2 weeks and we get our shipping date updated to between 4/25 and 5/5. Great, she leaves on the 27th and won't be home again for another 8-9 months. I put my faith and trust in Oculus only to be let down and in turn I let my wife down.

Oculus, I really wish you had just be upfront with us from the beginning. I still believe the Rift is the best HMD but now it just doesn't feel like it will be the same knowing my wife is overseas when it arrives.
32 REPLIES 32

Ishimura
Honored Guest
Cool story bro,?!

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
Your Rift should theoretically ship soon, they were shipping out US devices purchased at 8:05am a couple days ago.

khjjg
Protege
Sorry to hear about your divorce

in6seconds
Expert Protege
palmer luckey: "too long, didn't read"

Chassit
Heroic Explorer
Poor guy... Oculus gave me a totally different wife problem. Ever since January I've been trying to sell her this idea of virtual reality. Of course she doesn't buy it. Seeing is believing... It doesn't matter, I thought, pretty soon she'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Over the week leading up to March 28 I was basically working on upgrading my computer non-stop, whenever I'm not occupied by my real job. No easy feat, making so many new parts working on an old Dell chassis. To a certain degree she was influenced by my zeal. I can tell she's waiting to be impressed.

Then comes March 28, then April 8, and now almost April fucking 18. I'm feeling like one heck of a giant dumbass. Every time she catches me lurking on this forum or watching the Reddit shipping tracker, there's this knowing and sympathetic smile on her face. *facepalm*

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
This thread is emotionally unhealthy.  Learn some self-confidence and personal responsibility.

Gigantoad
Adventurer
So you let your wife down. It happens. Get her some flowers with a nice card and apologize for trusting Oculus. I have a feeling she will forgive you.

zork2001
Heroic Explorer

Another my wife guy. Why is always the complete losers… I
only see her a few weeks a year and we were sitting around waiting for the rift
sounds about right.

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you want to make it up to her, eBay has their arms wide open to fix all your problems 🙂

greeneblitz
Expert Protege
I hate to say it but, spare me!, if this is your biggest problem then you have no problems at all.