cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Gear VR 2.0 what we want?

Dilip
Rising Star
Smart Phone world is rapidly changing and high are the chances we can very well see Gear VR V2 or its improved iteration no later than next year..

What can be improved to current Gear VR?
The prime necessities IMO are...

1)More better Optics.
2) Way to eliminate Fogging.

Any chance to see OCULUS CV1 Fresnel Hybrid optics in Gear VR?

To eliminate fogging i think we need active cooling, which also double up as defogger.

3) More thin unit and even sleek body to make it truly pocket-able with semi rigid cloth cover carry case....

One more ingredient to "Perfect Pie" is slab that powers GVR

Phone which do not bomb the bank account ...
Like Galaxy S7 Lite (without WQHD screen)...FHD screen may reduce the price also pump up power to handle app can prolong battery life too.

What others on this forum think?
13 REPLIES 13

bbagnall
Protege

Dilip said:

by Head Tracking do you mean "Positional Tracking"? As head tracking is already there... there is external gyro sensor already built in Gear VR all iteration and it does not depend on sensors of phone for head tracking.

Positional tracking. I've posted some thoughts before about what would be amazing if it's possible. Carmack is usually great at doing the impossible:

From what I understand, basic head tracking along x-y-z can be done with an inertial measurement unit (IMU) and it is quite responsive. I've programmed an IMU before but never for a VR app. The basic problem is that the IMU loses calibration after a few minutes and the perceived coordinates start to drift from what they actually should be. 

There are two ways to overcome this:
1. Periodic re-calibration. This could be done with the front facing video camera on the phone and some QR code markers on the walls around you. The re-calibration could be done in a very low-priority thread that perhaps completes every 15 seconds or whatever. It doesn't have to jerk your view back to the calibrated position but could slowly coax the view back on track (nudging the coordinates a few millimeters here and there as you move around) without you noticing very much. And this could also eliminate rotational drift at the same time as well, which the Gear VR currently suffers from.

2. If you have a large enough area to move around in, such as a football field, I start to doubt it matters because you won't ever start running into walls. Sure you might not start and end a game in the same exact location but as long as the IMU is semi-accurate, you will still get movement happening in the game and the feeling of movement should be close enough not to make you sick. It could even periodically recalibrate against rough GPS position to make sure someone doesn't wander out of a park onto a roadway. smile

Dilip
Rising Star
@bbagnall

video camera on the phone and some QR code markers on the walls

Is wonderful idea, there can also be few IR markers with button cells that can be activated
and placed at strategic places at time of play for tracking. Always on back camera may
taxing on battery though,.

terminusiii
Honored Guest
High Dynamic Range rendering and screen would be nice.

darkangel6415
Explorer
Open world game with exploring and not preset movement doesn't have to be a big world like gta v or skyrim