I really let my wife down by putting my trust in Oculus. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I really let my wife down by putting my trust in Oculus.

BossbloodBossblood Posts: 14
NerveGear
I originally wrote this on Reddit but it was suggested I also post it here.

My wife is in the military and I only get to see her 6 weeks a year. We always plan something special like a vacation, cruise, camping, etc when we know she will be home. This time, for the time ever we didn't plan to go anywhere. We are both avid gamers so we decided to spend our money and time on upgrading our computer and getting an Oculus Rift.

I got up early on the first day of pre-orders, spammed F5 and finally got my order in at 08:06 with a March delivery. I was happy. Now my wife and I can spend some time together at home enjoying something we have been looking forward to for years. If I knew Oculus wouldn't be delivered on time I would have ordered a HTC Vive the day pre-orders opened but I didn't even bother because I believed in Oculus.

Now my wife has been home for 2 weeks and we get our shipping date updated to between 4/25 and 5/5. Great, she leaves on the 27th and won't be home again for another 8-9 months. I put my faith and trust in Oculus only to be let down and in turn I let my wife down.

Oculus, I really wish you had just be upfront with us from the beginning. I still believe the Rift is the best HMD but now it just doesn't feel like it will be the same knowing my wife is overseas when it arrives.

Comments

• SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    3Jane
    I find it more remarkable, you actually manage to have a relationship like that..I've been there(long distance) and I won't ever recommend or do long distance again.

but yeah, these delays are a pain and causes issues for some people.
  • soxfan335soxfan335 Posts: 131
    good job Oculus i am crying
    hush little babeh dont say a word
    and nevermind that noise u herrd :shock:
  • ColinBColinB Posts: 236
    Nexus 6
    Don't worry about it. Perhaps you two will discover other things to do on her time off? Hmmm..
    At least you still believe the Rift is the best HMD.
  • BossbloodBossblood Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    I find it more remarkable, you actually manage to have a relationship like that..I've been there(long distance) and I won't ever recommend or do long distance again.

It is very hard at times but we manage. We both know it is best for our long term goals. We have been together since high school and she is everything to me.
    NerveGear
    Don't let a rift come between you two.
    Now that made me laugh  :)
  • swtadelineswtadeline Posts: 22
    edited April 2016
    So for the few weeks of the year you got to spend together, your sad that you can't spend the time in a virtual world where you can't even see each other? If your wife hasn't seen you in months surely she's just happy to see/spend time with you.

"in turn I let my wife down" bit of an exaggeration there...
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    3Jane
    Bossblood said:

It is very hard at times but we manage. We both know it is best for our long term goals. We have been together since high school and she is everything to me.
    Well I hope it works out for the both of you :)
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute

I've been there. Long distance isn't easy, but it is doable :)
  • IshimuraIshimura Posts: 2
    Cool story bro,?!
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    Your Rift should theoretically ship soon, they were shipping out US devices purchased at 8:05am a couple days ago.
  • khjjgkhjjg Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    Sorry to hear about your divorce
  • in6secondsin6seconds Posts: 405
    Nexus 6
    palmer luckey: "too long, didn't read"
  • ChassitChassit Posts: 178
    Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    Poor guy... Oculus gave me a totally different wife problem. Ever since January I've been trying to sell her this idea of virtual reality. Of course she doesn't buy it. Seeing is believing... It doesn't matter, I thought, pretty soon she'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Over the week leading up to March 28 I was basically working on upgrading my computer non-stop, whenever I'm not occupied by my real job. No easy feat, making so many new parts working on an old Dell chassis. To a certain degree she was influenced by my zeal. I can tell she's waiting to be impressed.

Then comes March 28, then April 8, and now almost April fucking 18. I'm feeling like one heck of a giant dumbass. Every time she catches me lurking on this forum or watching the Reddit shipping tracker, there's this knowing and sympathetic smile on her face. *facepalm*
  • JakemanOculusJakemanOculus Posts: 511
    Neo
    This thread is emotionally unhealthy.  Learn some self-confidence and personal responsibility.
  • GigantoadGigantoad Posts: 395
    Nexus 6
    So you let your wife down. It happens. Get her some flowers with a nice card and apologize for trusting Oculus. I have a feeling she will forgive you.
  • zork2001zork2001 Posts: 538
    Trinity

Another my wife guy. Why is always the complete losers… I only see her a few weeks a year and we were sitting around waiting for the rift sounds about right.

• tranceology3tranceology3 Posts: 804
    3Jane
    If you want to make it up to her, eBay has their arms wide open to fix all your problems :)
  • greeneblitzgreeneblitz Posts: 126
    Art3mis
    I hate to say it but, spare me!, if this is your biggest problem then you have no problems at all.
    NerveGear
    If you want to make it up to her, eBay has their arms wide open to fix all your problems :)
    That has crossed my mind. If it hadn't cost so much to upgrade our system I probably would have bought one.
  • Story stinks..... Sounds like the poster is just hoping to get ahead of the line!! 
    NerveGear
    edited April 2016
    The point of the post was to express disappointment and frustration at how Oculus has handled pre-orders for all of us, nothing more.

I really hope everyone gets their Rifts before their estimated dates. I want to see the Rift succeed and prosper as much as everyone else who pre-ordered.
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,233 Valuable Player
    Well...cause of the delay I found wifey paid more than the cost of the rift for a Galaxy S7. So i told her that means I can pay for the rift out of the house account rather than from my allowance!

Got an eyeroll and snort out of it. Totally worth it.
  • And here's the oculus crowd. Encouraging others to cancel so they get theirs earlier (which they won't) now showing little to no compassion for a fellow gamer. 

This entire debacle couldn't have happened to a better group of people I'll tell you that!
  • KingK76KingK76 Posts: 257
    Art3mis
    Wow... just, wow. I can't honstly believe your story man. And IF it is true.... you need to prioritize your life and relationship. Straight up.
  • Felixm477Felixm477 Posts: 131
    Art3mis
    you make it sound like without the oculus you have nothing else you can do and your moment is wasted -_- . there is tons to do outside and if you MUST do something with your shared love of gaming, there are tons of games out there.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,805
    Project 2501
    edited April 2016

@Dangerous2women you make a good addition to the forum :)

Nice Name by the way, you seem like a pillar of the community.

• V-WalkerV-Walker Posts: 108
    To the OP, sorry to be the one to break this to you but if she spends that long away from you and is only worried about VR when you meet up again, then she's probably having an Affair.  ;)

And if she's not then you probably are but you just blanked it out of your mind.

*ahem* joking aside, I agree with you and your disappointment with Oculus, I was nearly sucked in to by the promises and glad I saw a while back it wasn't going to plan so jumped ship to Vive and have one that'll be here relatively soon. However, had oculus been more up front about their mystery component shortage, which they would most definitely have known about weeks if not months ago, they could have told people so buyers such as yourself or those that upgraded to current GEN GPUs rather than waiting for Pascal could have made better choices.

This is why I have no pity for oculus anymore, the only pity I have is that Palmer who seemed like a real nice kid, ended up getting money in place of job satisfaction. Selling to facebook has done him no favours, other than in the bank balance. Also why I have no time for the oculus apologists and anti-vive team that hunts posters on this forum to try to silence them, insult them or bury their posts. They are helping facebook (fucking FACEBOOK FFS!) to carry out this underhanded deceit of customers and prevented them from getting in the queue for Vive earlier.

Serious tip though, you are wrong about rift being the better VR system...

"I still believe the Rift is the best HMD"

Sorry man that's just so 2015. That's based on nothing but self built hype. You and your wife would have had ten times the fun with Vive, I guarantee it. Even the HMD itself, while more weighty, has now been proven as being a better display in all but 1 area (SDE) but in terms of FOV, image quality, less lens flare etc, so even HMD wise you'd have been fine with Vive. DO you really think you and your wife would have had more fun playing chronos or luckey's tale? vs the sea of roomscale games or even standing + motion control games now on Vive (which IS shipping readiliy as I write). 

Other than that part I agree on your sentiment, though I also think in the big scheme of things it's no the end of the world if you only see her that little every 9 months. Her presence alone should be more than enough imo, but next time don't put faith in a facebook owned company. Schoolboy error.

• GigantoadGigantoad Posts: 395
    Nexus 6
    V-Walker said:
    Serious tip though, you are wrong about rift being the better VR system...
    Dude, you are relentless :D Does even one minute go by anymore without you telling yourself how much better Vive is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive–compulsive_disorder
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,681 Valuable Player
    Bossblood said:
    I originally wrote this on Reddit but it was suggested I also post it here.

My wife is in the military and I only get to see her 6 weeks a year. We always plan something special like a vacation, cruise, camping, etc when we know she will be home. This time, for the time ever we didn't plan to go anywhere. We are both avid gamers so we decided to spend our money and time on upgrading our computer and getting an Oculus Rift.

I got up early on the first day of pre-orders, spammed F5 and finally got my order in at 08:06 with a March delivery. I was happy. Now my wife and I can spend some time together at home enjoying something we have been looking forward to for years. If I knew Oculus wouldn't be delivered on time I would have ordered a HTC Vive the day pre-orders opened but I didn't even bother because I believed in Oculus.

Now my wife has been home for 2 weeks and we get our shipping date updated to between 4/25 and 5/5. Great, she leaves on the 27th and won't be home again for another 8-9 months. I put my faith and trust in Oculus only to be let down and in turn I let my wife down.

Oculus, I really wish you had just be upfront with us from the beginning. I still believe the Rift is the best HMD but now it just doesn't feel like it will be the same knowing my wife is overseas when it arrives.

Well there's only one thing for it, and it's bad - you're going to have to talk to each other and go for walks for 2 weeks.

I know i know pal, i feel for you but what's a man to do eh?