cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Framerate is horrible + screen tearing. Seems like something is wrong.

Jasperpt
Sightseer
I just got my CV1 and installed everything. Drivers are up to date computer seems fine.
But inside the oculus the frame rate is completely horrible, the tracking is laggy and the lines seem to not match up when I move my head.

It feels as if the thing is running at about 10% power or something.

My computer spec should be fine. not sure what is going on, has anyone else experienced this?

My computer checks out as VR ready on my Nvidea geforce experience pannel as well.

Here are my specs - 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
8 GB of RAM
Windows 10 64-bit

18 REPLIES 18

LZoltowski
Champion
Screen tearing? That's odd .... Oculus displays are V-Sync locked ...
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Greenfire32
Heroic Explorer

Jasperpt said:

My computer spec should be fine. not sure what is going on, has anyone else experienced this?

My computer checks out as VR ready on my Nvidea geforce experience pannel as well. (I can run Witcher 3 on ultra at 1080p 60fps)

Friendly pro tip: post your specs anyway.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Did you run the Oculus Compatibility Tool?
https://shop.oculus.com/en-us/cart/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Jasperpt
Sightseer
Sorry I should have posted specs.
I have just updated my initial post with them.
Thanks for the quick responses!

Also it is not screen tearing actually, that is probably the wrong word. It is more that it looks like the cameras go out of sync as I move my head, so I see dupilcate images.

Games just seem to run really slow, as does the home area.

The compatability tool comes up fine when I run it.

Greenfire32
Heroic Explorer

Jasperpt said:

Sorry I should have posted specs.
I have just updated my initial post with them.
Thanks for the quick responses!

Also it is not screen tearing actually, that is probably the wrong word. It is more that it looks like the cameras go out of sync as I move my head, so I see dupilcate images.

Games just seem to run really slow, as does the home area.

The compatability tool comes up fine when I run it.

Hmmm, yeah you should be fine on those specs... Tell you what, try the Firestrike Benchmark test and see what happens: http://store.steampowered.com/app/223850/ (just run the demo, you don't need to buy it).

If that judders and doesn't behave properly, then I'd almost say it's something to do with your computer's ability to process data (which could be either the GPU or the CPU). However, if it handles that with no issue, then I'd say it's 100% the Rift that's faulty.

You need a score higher than 9271 to be considered "Rift capable"

cybereality
Grand Champion
What you are seeing sounds like judder, but should not be happening on your machine. Something else must be wrong, like a software conflict or something else running on your computer.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Jasperpt
Sightseer
So I ran that benchmark and got a score of 10997 which seems ok. Didn't really have any trouble running it.

The odd thing is that when the oculus is in a game like Lucky's tale, the frame rate is bad on my computer screen as well as in the oculus, which leads me to believe there is something going wrong on the computers end of things.

This is so frustrating.

Stelzer
Expert Protege
I don't think 11k is ok. If I am not wrong I get 11k with my OC GTX970. I will check it tomorrow.

You can try to clean install your GPU drivers maybe this will fix the problem.  

LZoltowski
Champion
@Jasperpt  do you have anything running that would intercept the GPU? ....  run msconfig and disable anything you do not need from starting up .. then give it another try
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂