cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Greetings!

davidwyandgg
Explorer
Hello fellow Oculus Rift developers and enthusiasts! Looks like this might be the first post ever in the developer forums so I thought I would introduce myself.

I'm David Wyand, Head of Torque 3D development at GarageGames. Torque 3D is an open source game engine that is available from GitHub. You may find out some more about it here: http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-3d.

This year we've added Leap Motion controller support, and will push out Razer Hydra support this week. I look forward to integrating the Oculus Rift with Torque 3D and seeing what our community comes up with once the developer kit is released. We have a few Kickstarter supporters in our ranks (including myself) and we can't wait to get started!

- Dave
984 REPLIES 984

mwilcox
Honored Guest
Hi all, I'm a postgraduate student (communication studies) from New Zealand and will be doing research into immersive narratives, user experience etc. in VR later this year and will be using the Rift as the platform for it. Looking forward to seeing what the projects the community comes out with.

drash
Heroic Explorer
Hi all,

Steve here. I went to UC Irvine over a decade ago (for computer science and a little bit of game dev), so I know the Oculus buildings well and wish I was still living in the area. I'm just a gamedev hobbyist with a relatively dry day job that's mostly interested in the future of virtual interfaces and how to create a strong emotional impact with VR experiences.

A huge congrats to OculusVR on all their hard work and getting the ball rolling on all this. It's unreal! Looks like I'll be spamming refresh button here in addition to /r/oculus 😛
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

VRDave
Honored Guest
Hey Everyone,

First of all, a big congratulations to Oculus for getting to launch. It's a big day for you and you should be proud of the progress you've made in such a short time. Palmer: ytmnd! Also, thank you for spending so much time "rapping" with us VRcade guys when you were in Seattle, we learned a lot.

So introductions? Well I'm Dave Ruddell, and I've been working as a developer for F5 Networks for quite a few years now. While my day job is saturated with heavy C++ development, including mission-critical systems and performance optimization. In my "spare" time, I'm an Indie dev who recently joined forces with a few other people to create the VRcade, the worlds first full-motion Virtual Reality arcade. Our plans and development rely heavily on the Rift and we're excited to start working with the real-deal (I built a rift-like prototype to move development and testing along). As part of the effort of being an indie dev, professional dev and VR enthusiast, I hope to learn a lot and bring a lot to the community.

Here's some info about what we're doing and some of our progress: VRcade Videos And that's not me talking in the first video.

Keep in mind that we've been very conservative with showing our 'current' capabilities, so stay tuned for even more immersive demos as we make progress. Also, as we move forward, I plan to release many of our current tools and open-source solutions to make building games and experiences in VR even easier.

wnewby
Honored Guest
Fellows!

It's great to be sharing this excitement with you. My name is William and I am an application developer in San Francisco.

I've been programming professionally for 13 years and tinkering for much longer. All game dev I have done has been on a hobbyist level. I had many late nights in my teenage years working on games in qbasic. Pretty funny to think about now. I know what you are thinking... yes, it got me laid constantly!

I remember the promise of exploration from those first 3D shareware demos I got in the mail back in the day. They never lived up to my imagination. I have been a rabid gamer all my life but nothing has really hit that desire. I can't wait to start playing with the Rift and see if VR gets me closer.

I'm still a little unsure about focusing on Unity or UDK. I have some experience with Unreal as a group of us did a total conversion of UT2003 for an independent study in college. I'm sure that I will do some work with both but I'm interested to read everyone's thoughts on this on the forum.

Cheers!

William

MistaSlithas
Honored Guest
Hello Everyone

I'm Joshua and like all of you I'm crazy stoked for the rift and everything it is about to bring us. I've been a UI/UX designer/developer for 16 years building CDROMs, desktop apps, websites, web apps and mobile apps in director, flash, flex, ios and lately HTML5. Tech money lured me away from an early career in Archaeology and I've been trying to figure out how to combine tech with Archaeology and cultural heritage in a meaningful, profitable way ever since. My MA thesis in HCI explored the theme of "Archaeological Informatics" but I couldn't achieve my ideas without something like the rift. Thanks to Palmer and the crew it's now here and I'm diving in!

If anyone else is interested in similar use cases for this technology please let me know, I would love to collaborate.

I think it's going to be amazing to see all the different ways we use the rift. The games will be fantastic no doubt, but so will other uses like the neurosurgeon who posted earlier.

I look forward to meeting and working with everyone.
Good Luck!
Joshua

defactoman
Honored Guest
My name is Daryl and i'm from the Central Coast/So CA area. I work at UCSB in the ECE Department. I've been doing C# programming for a while to make useful and unfun applications and in my spare time develop little games here and there. VR has been something i've followed for quite a while so when I saw Palmer trying to kick off his kickstarter I was happy to jump on board.

I have a bunch great ideas that me and some others guys are going to try and put together and make happen on some level.

lo4d
Explorer
My name is Patrick and I dream of the promise of VR. I'm here to learn, make some humble contributions, and watch this technology/community evolve. Imagine the possibilities!

Joewa
Explorer
Hey everyone. I'm Joe, I run a company called Impromptu Games in Australia and I'm looking forward to hopefully doing some super cool things with UDK/UE3 and the Rift. First thing I'll do is probably set up Vroom for the rift, since it's a game where you drive a truck and I want to look around the cockpit. Also we have a game on Steam Greenlight right now that really needs votes just sayin'.

It'll obviously never happen, but the best thing in the world would be if the Mechwarrior 2 engine got Rift support. Interstate '76. Yesss.

AstralVortex
Honored Guest
My name is Eric. I am currently a mathematics graduate student aiming for a PhD in 3 more years or so. I was taught how to program in C from my father while in junior high. During the period of time between being an undergraduate and my current studies I worked in the video game industry as a programmer with credit on 4 shipped titles. I focused mostly on physics, game logic, and camera scripting routines.

I am looking forward to receiving the Ocular Rift SDK soon. The potential for the system is very great, and it is a perfect fit for one of my game designs I've worked on.

kprose
Honored Guest
Hello everyone, my name is Kyle. I am currently a history undergrad at UCSC and I have zero programming experience. What I do have, however, is a passion for video games and nitty-gritty analytical research, which I hope will help me leverage my way into the emerging field of digital humanities. In particular, I'm interested in using Virtual Reality to better present and teach "boring" subjects such as history and math. I believe that VR has the power to transform the class room from a passive to an active experience while at the same time eliminating many of the problems associated with formal education.

That being said, I'm also here because I want to get a heads up on the many games that I'm sure are going to be created for the Rift. After all, it's not a bad idea to understand the competition. 😉
“Tell me and I will forget, teach me and I will remember, involve me and I will learn." - Chinese Proverb