cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Store/Home and the future of Shared?

pjenness
Rising Star
Hiya

Im just wondering what the future intention is for store/home vs share.
Is share going to be upgrade and supported for 1.3 builds, or will everythign go thru home/store ?

Share was nice for a dump ground of misc tests and demos etc, without the formality of a public store/home front release.
Most likely used more by devs than the general public. The home official front makes more sense for 90% of the public who want stuff working well out of the box

Is that going to be the intention still, have Share around in the BG for devs to ....."share"

Cheers

-P
Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS? https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349
13 REPLIES 13

MikeF
Trustee
i've got a feeling that eventually share will be merged with the "concepts" or "early access" sub sections of home, but i'd also like to hear an official stance on this!

pjenness
Rising Star

MikeF said:

i've got a feeling that eventually share will be merged with the "concepts" or "early access" sub sections of home, but i'd also like to hear an official stance on this!

Maybe

But even those I imagine since they will be openly available to the public they'd need some sort of approval process, and a level of quality. Im talkign abotu the consumer public that expect good things working out of the box.

Share would be good for Devs that understand its a dumping area with potentially less quality, and issues as the norm. But less stringent moderating since its not available to the consumer public (without them digging a little deeper to intentionally find it, and downloading .exe manually etc

-P
Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS? https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349

ten10
Protege
Isn't it up to the Devs, who share their programs on "Share" , to upgrade their programs to v1.3 version ?
Only the developers of those Share programs, the owners/producers, can do that job, to recompile to the newest runtime - Oculus can't do it for them ...

cybereality
Grand Champion
Moving forward, the focus is being moved to the Oculus Store, though we will have places like Concepts for more experimental demos that aren't full games. That said, these apps will still be curated, and it likely won't be the sort of "anything goes" mentality of Share. 
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

pjenness
Rising Star

Moving forward, the focus is being moved to the Oculus Store, though we will have places like Concepts for more experimental demos that aren't full games. That said, these apps will still be curated, and it likely won't be the sort of "anything goes" mentality of Share. 

That is a shame

Store and Concepts definately have their place( as open to the full public)

But so does Share. Share would be good for the more behind the scene dev community to do what they already have. Make , share, and have beta tested small experiences etc. But not exposed to the oculus store app.
They can be exe downloads like previously.
They dont really need to be moderated (at least not to the extent of store/concepts)

Put it this way...if "Share" doesnt come back, someone will make a page for just that. As they were fun, and many. And good for devs.

-P

pjenness
Rising Star

ten10 said:

Isn't it up to the Devs, who share their programs on "Share" , to upgrade their programs to v1.3 version ?
Only the developers of those Share programs, the owners/producers, can do that job, to recompile to the newest runtime - Oculus can't do it for them ...

Yes.. my original questions was the Share facility itself. To switch o 1.3 supported titles.
The devs would have to recompile and submit etc.

ennogs
Expert Protege
bump

cybereality
Grand Champion
I wouldn't expect much or any updates to Share at this point in time.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Mwilliams78
Expert Protege
Wearvr is a pretty good site that devs can upload thier contend to. The community is lacking but the content is great.  It was always a step ahead of Oculus share. A demo would be realeased there then a week or so latter it would appear on Share. There is already a  handfull of older demos recompiled for 1.3 and some new content aswell.