cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1 Light Rays are bad

benplace
Rising Star
I got my Rift yesterday and the smearing/light rays on CV1 are WAY WAY worse than what I was expecting from reviews I have read...
I really hope they come up with a way to fix this.  Playing Farlands the logo is smeared horribly, I even get smearing in the home environment where lights are around the room.  It is so bad I am embarrassed to show CV1 to my brother when he comes over this weekend.  (He has seen my DK2 without the problem)

148 REPLIES 148

NjayNL said:

But are these caused by defect lenses ? If yes we should get them freely replaced .. Are they detachable by the way ?

It seems it is just the way it is.  Most people who have mentioned it say it doesn't bother them, unfortunately it will bother others much more - maybe VR isn't for them just yet.  Hopefully the tech will improve over time.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

NjayNL
Protege
True indeed ! Well i still enjoy my time in vr every minute ! 

blanes
Rising Star
I do not think it is in the best interest of any Rift owner, future or present, to dismiss these people having serious issues with the lenses.  For all we know there actually is some CV1 units (not all) that have serious defects in the fresnel lenses.  This is possibly the unstated reason for the component delays.  Oculus need to make an unambiguous statement to the effect that there is absolutely no problem with the lenses and then have a simple test or process for those customers having problems to find out if their lenses are faulty or not.

Wildt
Consultant
Welcome to the world of fresnel lenses. I agree it's FAR worse than ANY review sites ever described.

My personal disappointment is wearing off, as I'm getting used to it, but it IS so bad that I almost feel that the visuals are a sidestep from DK2 more than an upgrade.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

comixcroz
Expert Protege

Wildt said:

Welcome to the world of fresnel lenses. I agree it's FAR worse than ANY review sites ever described.

My personal disappointment is wearing off, as I'm getting used to it, but it IS so bad that I almost feel that the visuals are a sidestep from DK2 more than an upgrade.

I think that's the piece that makes people so upset.  Obviously it was not a requirement for VR gaming, the DK 2 does not have this issue.  

MichaelJWP15
Protege
Everyone is different, personally it doesn't bother me much as in-game you hardly ever see it in the games I play. However I'm very surprised that Oculus chose their logo/splash screen to be pure white on black which means it is one of the very worst manifestations of the problem!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've noticed them, but to be honest, I hardly ever notice them when I'm in a game. It's mostly on loading screens. 🙂 

@comixcroz, that's a difficult call... I assume it was a design call when putting together the DK2 that conventional lenses could do the job ok... and they do... but conventional lenses suffer from chromatic aberrations, and a smaller sweet spot. CV1's composites which include the Fresnels don't suffer from those things but instead have the light rays.

Personally I prefer the latter but everyone has their own opinion.

Welby
Adventurer

whoa182 said:

I've noticed them, but to be honest, I hardly ever notice them when I'm in a game. It's mostly on loading screens. 🙂 

Absolutely the same. Infact it's hard for me to completely understand how people are able to see them so much while playing. I just don't see them at all while playing.

Probably the only real situations where i see them are a bit in the Oculus home (and doesn't seem annoying but just an effect ) and with black background and white text.. Which bother me even less since those are just texts usually of games intro or similar.

benplace
Rising Star
I wish I knew of a place I could try one to make sure the amount of smear I see is normal on mine...