cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Recommend A Cheap Steering Wheel

Advice sought!

Not too cheap that it feels like a child's toy but not in the £hundreds.

Does anybody own a good steering wheel they use in driving games?  I guess it needs pedals and i like to drive the older cars with a gear stick - does it take away from the game if you don't have one?  Then again the gear stick probably won't be in the correct place anyway will it (down by my left hand side)?

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3
36 REPLIES 36

RobHermans
Superstar
@Wildt & @mattc : you are both right, actually. I believe the build quality of the Logitech G25/G27 is excellent...I would not have been able to use one for over 5 years with no problems if it was shoddy, right? Having said that, they are mass-produced, and certainly not perfect. The rotary encoder problem does exist, and can be fixed by installing a better part.
They are still great value, and part of the reason for that is a few corner cuts (pun intended!). Imagine what the price of these things would be if every single tiny component was built to aerospace quality! :#

I agree with @obzen re the Logitech DFGT, I've heard lots of friends saying it's an excellent value FFB wheel, but the pedals are not good and there's no separate shifter. His post is a very good overview of what's available. Nice 1, mate.

@Percy1983 & @AntDX316 : I used to have the MS Sidewinder, and it had a joystick port connection, not USB. I believe you could use that in modern games, but yes, there would be no support for it...might not matter if it works, though. Also I wouldn't call those little buttons on the back "paddles"!

Sloeri007
Adventurer
If you can pick up a Logitech G25 or G27 you will be happy.  had one for many years and was very happy with it.
i'm now using a Fanatec Club Sport, which is quite expensive,but given that this is about the only gaming type i do, it was for me some kind of "hobby" investement.
for casual gaming a G25 or G27 is already a great wheel !
about faillure's like mentioned in other posts... the much more expensive Fanatec wheel is in fact more fragile than the logitech ones... my fanatec for example already broke twice, my G25 never did 😉

Bel-garath
Expert Protege
I just got the T150, my first wheel. One of the cheapest with Force Feedback. 

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Force-Feedback-Racing-PlayStation-4/dp/B014US02ZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...

Conz
Explorer

AntDX3162 said:

Percy1983 said:

If you want really cheap get the Microsoft sidewinder force feedback.

They are from 1999 but still work great (USB version only of course), full force feedback but no shifter (does have padels on back of wheel).

Can be had for around £30.

no way that that still has support

It is fully supported. I'm driving PCars with a Sidewinder force feedback. No problems with win7 or Win10.
Force feedback gives so much more immersion to the game.

dead4sure
Adventurer

PG68 said:

If you can wait until May 4th (after this, of course you can), Thrustmaster is launching their new line.

Thanks for that info. I was about to buy a T150. The reviews look pretty promising.

Hanover
Rising Star
Can you use a wheel sitting on a desk?  Or do you need a play seat?  I had a sidewinder years ago and it was fantastic, but I used it while it was on my desk.

RobHermans
Superstar
Yes, all the wheels I have experience of have some kind of desk clamp. Some also have tapped holes in the base so you can "hard-mount" them (bolt them to a base), and this is how you attach them to most wheel stands. You will still want a good seat though, preferably one with no wheels!