cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1 Light Rays are bad

benplace
Rising Star
I got my Rift yesterday and the smearing/light rays on CV1 are WAY WAY worse than what I was expecting from reviews I have read...
I really hope they come up with a way to fix this.  Playing Farlands the logo is smeared horribly, I even get smearing in the home environment where lights are around the room.  It is so bad I am embarrassed to show CV1 to my brother when he comes over this weekend.  (He has seen my DK2 without the problem)

148 REPLIES 148

Chewie71
Adventurer
I want to know why these god rays were never mentioned in pre-release reviews? Even the almighty Tested kept quiet about it. So either they deliberately hid the information or it wasnt really that bad.

yeah I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been mentioned, especially by Tested... it's kind of important to make people aware so they have realistic expectations

dead4sure
Adventurer
I'm with you on this, I find it hard to believe that no one picked up on this as an issue. UNLESS they had some different sort of setup? Seems very unlikely...

blanes
Rising Star
A few people here are quick to proclaim that 'every' Rift has the flares or god-ray effect exactly the same as the next one, when they do not know that absolutely as they only know the effect via their individual Rift. We all know fresnel lenses have this effect built in as a side effect of how they process light, however there are more than a few people reporting the effect to be substantially pronounced which leads to the question whether there are 'some' Rifts which indeed do have this problem magnified or worse. There should be a definitive way to establish that, perhaps using some sort of app that can measure or quantify this. And it is a valid question to ask why this was reported in absolutely no reviews prior to release. Nothing yet presented convinces me there is not potentially a real problem with some peoples lenses and having not received mine yet I am concerned as many of us are.

Blyss4226
Rising Star
I am in the camp wondering if they are all the same too. My feeling is they are and different people are just more or less sensitive to them. They bother me a lot if I let them, but I can ignore them too.

I see godrays and halos a little bit in real life as well, and I wonder if that makes me more sensitive to them in the Rift? I made a thread about this yesterday ( https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/34883/headaches-from-cv1-godrays-how-bad-are-they-sup... ) - it really surprises me how bad they are.

The best way would be for someone who thinks it's really bad and someone who thinks it's no issue to swap Rifts. If their opinions do not change, then we the variance is in people and not Rifts. But getting two people in the same place both with Rifts and opposite opinions will likely have to wait until more Rifts are in the wild.

Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD

Anonymous
Not applicable
Still on DK2, so i cant comment on the god rays - but when i see the Farlands logo, i always see a second, inverted ghost image of the logo wandering around the lens as i turn my head. Can anyone who has both devices comment on if the god rays are worse? Because the inverted ghost images in high contrast scenes are distracting as hell....

Blyss4226
Rising Star
I've seen a type of ghosting in Lucky's Tale though I've nothing to really compare it with and no idea what it's properly called.

Basically it occurs in opposite situations of the godray effect - i.e. it occurs with very dark things on very bright backgrounds, like black text on white. If I turn my head very quickly in that situation I see a ghost of the dark thing where it was for about a quarter of a second. I don't find it too distracting because the combination of things to make it happen is pretty rare.

I've not used a DK2 but I've used some other devices, the nicest probably being the VR ONE. God rays are... distracting at first. But they only appear in certain scenarios, and it's quite possible to design around them(i.e. you almost never see them in LT).

I saw this image on a reddit post, and it is representative of what the godrays look like in my personal headset:

But that is a worst case scenario. The Oculus logo (white logo on black) is another place it's BAD. Do note that the more off center the image is to your focal point, the worse they are. This image was taken with a phone through the lens as I understand, and it's at a pretty rough angle so yeah it really is a worst case.
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD

richhard1
Protege
Only a few batches have been affected with these so called 'god rays'. Even some HMD's have it on either left or right eyes only. The shortage of lenses may well be botched manufacture without QA to ensure faster deliveries. 
This is why some reviews don't mention it either.
I7-4790K - GTX980ti - 32GB - PB287Q - G502 - A50 - GAMEZ4RO - G19s - E17k - Xonar7.1 - Xenyx502 - AT2050 - H105 - T300RS - XBox1Elite - X55- 4K/DK2/CV1/VIVE

RobHermans
Superstar
That's interesting @richhard1, do you have any evidence which supports those claims? Perhaps a link to the reviews you mention?

EDIT: ...and I don't count "everyone's talking about it on reddit" as evidence...just so you know. 😉

whoa182 said:

Sounds silly to be embarrassed about showing your Rift off.

Here's my experience showing to people: Every single one of them are blown away by the Rift. And they all want one - right now. Half of them were skeptical and weren't even particularly interested in VR.

And they can't stop talking about it to people. 

Well that's a bummer!  lol
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3