cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OculusSetup.exe says not enough space when space exists

sshirokov
Explorer
I can't get the installer past checking for space on my one and only drive C: in Windows 10 64bit. 

It claims I need 3.05GB, while I currently have 173GB Free.

I don't have any other drives in the system, and am not really sure what else to try.
48 REPLIES 48

cybereality
Grand Champion
We're still investigating, but it looks like dynamic disks are having issues right now. Also, see this post about why hard drives may not be detected at all:
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/369309/#Comment_369309
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

ColinB
Adventurer
Think of all those crossed fingers those poor bricks and mortar retailers of combo units are walking about with.
Thinking of all the customers that are facing this.
And what about those people that are putting together a Computer that was supposed to be compatible!!
And then putting it up to sell to some guy/gal that just wants to plug it in and use it!
If you were a retailer..would you want to know?
Just think yourself lucky that profit is not important to you.

Synthetic
Rising Star
I converted one of my HDD to dynamic... it bugs out and is annoying im not doing the other drives!

sbryant
Explorer
We're still investigating, but it looks like dynamic disks are having issues right now

Issues would be an understatement. Disappointment is really what I'm feeling now. I just got my rift delivery and now I'm looking at an expensive paperweight.

The issue is literally installing and running the software as designed. The centerpiece of the Oculus universe, Oculus Home, is not available to me and without it the hardware is useless. I do not have this problem with any other piece of software.

Creesball
Expert Protege
I know its a pain to do but I would recommend reinstalling windows then give it another go.  At least that way we can rule out any Windows software issues.

sshirokov
Explorer
I know its a pain to do but I would recommend reinstalling windows then give it another go.  At least that way we can rule out any Windows software issues.

There is literally zero chance of that happening, that's below and beyond an unacceptable solution.

I would sooner sell the CV1 on a second market and wait for the alternative to arrive if no actual solution presents itself. :rage: 

I do not have this problem with any other piece of software.

I have never as much as seen this class of problem from any software that I have run on any machine, ever.

THEM2016
Explorer

sshirokov said:

I have never as much as seen this class of problem from any software that I have run on any machine, ever.

No, me neither, but I believe I understand what the devs. are doing.  I'm also getting:
Dawn.Win32.Kernel.IsInternal(DriveInfo driveInfo)
exceptions being logged.  Looking through more forum posts than I care to count on a looooooong afternoon, it appears as though the devs. are just being ridiculously picky about on which drives they'll install.  It seems they're trying to work out whether or not the drive will be "fast" enough by looking to see whether it's "internal" (presumably on a SATA/SCSI/SAS/... bus).

If that's what they're doing, they should stop.  It's not up to an installer to try and work that sort of thing out - for a start, the devs. should not be arrogant enough to think they will know and be able to recognise everything which counts as an "internal" drive.  As has happened here - they apparently can't (though if they're asking for output from DxDiag, perhaps they're thinking "Oh, well if we just add this extra case, and this one, and ... then it will spot the disc ..." as, IIRC, there's a whole bunch of general system info. in the DxDiag reports) ...

Big hint, dev. folks!  Don't do that!

Seriously, if you want to make sure the system is "capable" of supporting an Oculus then include a system benchmark test as part of the installation and run it as part of the initial configuration.
Then you can report anything you might consider an issue at that point, and meanwhile the user will at least have the software installed (and, for example, be able to run more detailed diagnostics if there are any issues).

Seriously, this is "Software Installation 101" folks - get it right please, you are immensely honking people off here by developing a product which simply will not install on any system which doesn't correspond to "your" idea of what a system should look like ...  You should not be worrying about whether it conforms to your idea of a computer, you should be worrying about whether it is capable when tested.  I.e., a post-installation benchmark ... 

Cheez ...

THEM2016
Explorer

THEM2016 said:

... simply will not install on any system which doesn't correspond to "your" idea of what a system should look like ...

And typing that has just reminded me - in the days I have wasted trying to get this to work, one thing I tried was installation on a spare test VM (Virtual Machine) I had lying around.

Installed on there absolutely fine ...

So a VM, with no actual physical hardware (I.e. GPU, discs, ...), an RDP console, 1Gb RAM, no USB ports, and a single core CPU - that's apparently absolutely fine for supporting an Oculus.
My workstation, with 6Gb/s SSDs, 8Gb RAM, AMD 7900 series GPUs, 8x3.2GHz cores, ... - no, the disc drives in there won't be fast enough ...

Hey developers, see how silly those "Is this machine good enough?" tests are looking to your customers? ...

THEM2016
Explorer

We're still investigating, but it looks like dynamic disks are having issues right now. Also, see this post about why hard drives may not be detected at all:
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/369309/#Comment_369309

So possibly just disable your checks for "Is this drive internal (and therefore likely to be fast enough)?" while you figure it out?

That would be a trivial "fix" which would at least mean your customers can install your software while you work out for yourselves that the installer failing to check this isn't actually the way to do it ...

Let's face it, your "... likely to be fast enough" checks simply do not work anyway - they let me install your software in a VM (whose actual virtual discs are stored on mirrored, dynamic, GPT partitioned drives ...) so they obviously don't catch set-ups where speed might be an issue, and break completely on systems where it isn't - not exactly useful in their current form, are they?

So get rid of them.

Then figure out for yourselves that what you needed all along (if you felt this really was necessary) was a post-installation benchmark ...

THEM2016
Explorer
OK, fed up with this, so here's a work-around.
This seems to have worked fine for me but, of course, YMMV :smile: 

Instructions are for "Windows 7"; it should work the same way on anything else though.
<Windows>R
diskmgmt.msc
<Enter>

That will bring up the "Disk Management" snap-in.
On the "Action" menu, click "Create VHD".
Enter a suitable location (you're going to want probably at least 5Gb free) and call the VHD something like "HowIWorkedAroundTheOculusBrokenInstaller".  You should use a fixed size.  Enter the size, and remember to change the units from the default of "MB" ...

Go and get a coffee.  That will take a while, and you may not even see anything happening for the first minute or so.  Eventually, you'll see a progress bar in the bottom-right hand corner; eventually it will get to 100%!  Honestly ...

"Action" menu again, click "Attach VHD".  If it's greyed out, you were impatient waiting for the last step ...  You will probably be told you can't because it's already attached - that's fine.

Scroll down in the bottom window and you'll see your new disc.  It'll show some sort of error because it's not yet initialised.  So right-click and "Initialize disk" (if asked whether to use MBR ot GPT, I used MBR, but it shouldn't make any difference), then you can right-click the actual volume and create a "New Simple Volume".
Default answers for everything, no, don't enable compression, give it a name if you want to (but it doesn't matter), pick a drive letter, ...

So, you now have a new "Drive" which is really a file stored somewhere on one of your existing discs (so yeah, performance there will be brilliant - must be OK though, because ...)
Now run the Oculus installer ...  Bingo!  You will now have a nice, shiny, fresh installation.

OK, realistically, this is an utterly abortionate work-around.  It will leave your software installed on another drive (and a virtual one at that ...) that you didn't want and that you had to create just for this.  You may have to juggle things around to fit all your Oculus downloads on there, so you might have to re-size (or re-create, but that would be ... complicated ... because of running processes etc, so try to avoid that ...) the VHD at some point, then expand the filesystem.
However hopefully Oculus will fix this, at some point, soon (?) - then you can just (!!!! **BACK EVERYTHING UP** !!!!, then ...) un-install, detach the VHD, ... and re-install properly without this nonsense.

Hope that helps people! :smile: 

(Ps.  Do remember though that if you install like this, and then have to contact Oculus support, they'll quite possibly use it as an excuse to get you to run "DxDiag.exe" a few times then tell you a virtual disc isn't a supported configuration ...).