Chronos is amaze-balls - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Chronos is amaze-balls

Comments

• crim3crim3 Posts: 385
    Nexus 6
    CSHokie said:
    I heard when you die in the game, you die in real life. Is that true? ;)

Edit: The game does look really good. 
    Not true. A kitty somewhere dies instead.
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    edited March 2016
    You guys think is worth it to play with DK2? or wait for my baby? I read that everytime you die you get 1 year older XD
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • brantlewbrantlew Posts: 540 Oculus Staff
    I got to the final Boss last night and died 5 times in a row before throwing in the towel.  But damnit, I want to know the end of the story - because it's really bizarrely interesting.  About 2/3 through there's a story twist that sheds new light on everything.  And then it gets really weird.   Loving it.  :)
  • snappaheadsnappahead Posts: 2,302
    Trinity
    Damn..nice! How old is your character? I haven't even reached the first boss yet, but I caved and played for a while last night and saw the golem cyclops guy for the first time which was awesome.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
    I'm in my mid-forties now.  Cyclops is pretty cool, but he stomped me to death the first time I encountered him.
    Trinity
    LOL, did the same to me. Forties is pretty young...you need to die more!
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
    Finally finished ! (casual, age 47)  Really great game - particularly the mid section.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Played another hour or two. This game is hard!!! OMG.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Trinity
    brantlew said:
    Finally finished ! (casual, age 47)  Really great game - particularly the mid section.
    Oh, you did a casual playthrough..and it was still hard? Damn! I'm on normal or whatever it's called and it's kicking my ass pretty good. I haven't even made it to the first boss, but I'm getting the hang of combat now.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
    Trinity

Played another hour or two. This game is hard!!! OMG.
    Yeah, it doesn't mess around. So good though.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
    Yeah, I went back and played through the first 1/3 of the game on Adventure and it's a good bit more difficult - primarily because your shield doesn't really guard against a lot of the strong attacks and you have to evade a good bit and also you take more damage.  Pretty brutal game.  I don't know how anybody could finish it at the hardest level - especially the last boss.  Overall the game was great.  The very end didn't quite satisfy me, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the journey and it's my favorite launch title so far.
  • MarkusL81MarkusL81 Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Just finished Chronos with my DK2. I absolutely loved it!

The different environments look amazing in VR, especially the last two areas. And the ending got me goose bumps.

Minor suggestions for a patch:
    -I got stuck for quite some time, because I did not realize you can also use the arrow pad while interacting with some objects. The first time this is required is for the golden cabinet. Maybe add a hint or icon there?
    -For some enemies the damage animations/sounds were unclear. I was confused if I actually damaged them. Happened for the robots in the last level (they just made a "clunk" sound) and the second boss.
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    This is one of the games I'm realy looking forward to. Hopefully with the new annoucement from Oculus, I'll be playing it later this month :)
  • edguy1edguy1 Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Have to agree with the OP, Not only have they created a great game but a really great VR experience.
    MarkusL81 said:

-For some enemies the damage animations/sounds were unclear. I was confused if I actually damaged them. Happened for the robots in the last level (they just made a "clunk" sound) and the second boss.

Yeah, I noticed that too.  You are stabbing metal robots with spears and can't really tell if you are hurting them in anyway.  You start wondering whether the last 3 or 4 minutes is just wasted or not.  But then they fall over and you are relieved.  Damage indication would be helpful.
    Trinity
    I'd be happy with a simple life bar over the enemies heads. It's very game-like, I'd like it. Every time I die, I wonder if I was close to killing them or not. Currently, there's no way to tell.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • JoseJose Posts: 888
    Trinity
    I remember enjoying the atmosphere of Chronos when I tried it at OC2. Especially when I woke up that giant statue thing and then ran away into the other room thinking I was safe. Then the dude's giant hand reached for me through the doorway and scared me :O The game seems a bit expensive, though. I think I might wait until it goes on sale.
  • Arock387Arock387 Posts: 722
    Trinity
    Finally.  I have been waiting for someone to review this game.  Sounds great.  May pick it up when I get paid. I'll play it on the DK2 as I'm not getting my rift for a couple more months
  • FlukeFluke Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    I've held off buying Chronos just so that I don't get tempted to play it on the DK2. I picked up Herobound instead for something to have a blast on over the weekend. I've already given in and started playing Lucky's Tale, so definitely want to save this for the CV1.
    In-VR Gaming Convention: http://queue.vip/8nNttrc
    Trinity
    Fluke said:
    I've held off buying Chronos just so that I don't get tempted to play it on the DK2. I picked up Herobound instead for something to have a blast on over the weekend. I've already given in and started playing Lucky's Tale, so definitely want to save this for the CV1.
    It's really hard to resist..especially with all the delays going on. I wasn't strong enough. Chronos is worth waiting for though.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
    Trinity
    It's one of the more pricey games, but very much worth the asking price if you like these kinds of games IMO.
    Arock387 said:
    Finally.  I have been waiting for someone to review this game.  Sounds great.  May pick it up when I get paid. I'll play it on the DK2 as I'm not getting my rift for a couple more months
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • Ash7Ash7 Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    edited April 2016

At first I saw the $50 price tag, and had my doubts about this game...

I feared the "first wave" of VR titles would be "casual", as far as game length/depth etc., so that newcomers to VR could get their VR legs before taking on some "real" games lol!

No regrets here! Well worth the price IMHO, and I'm in love with Chronos! <3

I can't stop playing (with my DK2), and I can't wait to play it once my CV1 arrives!

It's basically Dark Souls "lite" (combat, re-spawning, and leveling)

with a touch of Zelda : The Wind Waker (style, presentation, and puzzles),

but with a cinematic camera style similar to the first Resident Evil games (1 - 3).

It all comes together so well, and is very unique!

The "Intro" campfire/story sequence was a brilliant way to kick the game off!

I just beat the four armed Boss, so I'm not sure if the game leaves itself open for a sequel...

I'd love to see this become the "Zelda" of VR...as in a franchise/series though!

If you are worried about the price consider this : VR devs are taking a HUGE risk.

They are developing for a market that is new / a gamble, and doing it for the love of VR.

Please support the devs, as it will only help VR, and devs like these grow! ;)

"All controversy begins with DOUBT"
  • @GunfireGames will it be released on Steam/Vive at any point?
  • BookooBookoo Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    @GunfireGames Love this game, but I was wondering does the game have an age fail state on Heroic mode?  I am currently 56 and I keep worried I will eventually hit a game ending fail state.
  • HappyHimitsuHappyHimitsu Posts: 990
    Art3mis
    Super excited for this one. 

Really can't wait much longer to get my Rift.
    “If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.”
    (~I really gotta remember this shiz~)
    ― Yogi Bhajan
  • GunfireGamesGunfireGames Posts: 30 Oculus Partner
    @Bookoo Alas, one of the more hotly contested design decisions at the studio. We went with no permanent death option on any of the difficulty options. There is a mechanic when you reach the age cap that helps the player out. 
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    @GunfireGames That's good to know. When I started that game I wasn't sure if it was "one life to live" and it was stressing me out. I understand how that could appeal to some people, but it would have ruined the fun for me. Good choice.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • BookooBookoo Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    @Bookoo Alas, one of the more hotly contested design decisions at the studio. We went with no permanent death option on any of the difficulty options. There is a mechanic when you reach the age cap that helps the player out. 
    Yea that would be a tough decision. I kept thinking it would be really neat if that was the case because it kept the tension and stress sky high, but part of the stress was not knowing what was going to happen. I kept getting worried that I was wasting my time after dying like 15 times on the first boss.

Since the game is pretty long, it would have been really frustrating to have to do it all over again at least on my first play through.

Hope you guys are working on a Chronos 2 or something even cooler! :)
  • blanesblanes Posts: 1,067
    3Jane
    Sounds like fun ... but Amaze-Balls ?   Can you eat them ?