cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now that all the PC bundles are sold out...

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer
First, congratulations to all the folks that jumped the queue by ordering a PC bundle + Rift last week, returning the PC, and now they all got a Rift in less than a week from the order. Good job.

Now, as I'm writing this, all Amazon and BestBuy PC bundles are sold out, and the status is "Coming Soon"

What do you think it will happen? Will Oculus from now on prioritize the dalayed pre-orders, or will Amazon and BestBuy have new Rift available BEFORE Oculus fulfills all the January pre-orders, jumping ahead of the awaiting customers?

Since Oculus apparently hates everyone that, like a faithful dog, was there in January, frantically pressing F5 trying to get a Rift ASAP, it wouldn't surprise me at his point if they will just screw us over again, by letting the big fishes like Amazon and BestBuy having their new stock before us.

What do you think?

19 REPLIES 19

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer

Hanover said:

The ones that went to retail were a from a different allocation.  The rifts that went retail are completely separate than the ones going to the people who pre-ordered them.  They aren't mixing them.  They aren't pulling from one pile and adding them to another.  For all intents and purposes, each pile of Rifts have no bearing on each other.  When one runs out, or whatever, they aren't going to use the other pile to fix it.  They call it a shortage for THAT allocation.

I know this seems horrible for so many people who are waiting, but that's just the way these things work.  You allocate x number of stock for each place they're going.  Manufacturing for each allocation is a completely separate thing.  They don't mix or take from one allocation to add to another allocation unless its from some sort of reserve allocation (like an RMA allocation, or a developers allocation, etc.)

Also you guys have some really wild speculations. "I bet there was a meeting at Oculus where the managers ordered anyone to shut up about this whole launch disaster, or they will be fired."

Really?   I swear, everyone is flying off the deep end about this launch.  All I've seen is them actually fulfilling their commitments to meet everyone's launch windows...even surpassing them in some instances.

Read carefully what I wrote. I never said anything about mixing the CURRENT stocks. I know the PC Bundles were allocated BEFORE the January order, so there is no complaining there.
My question is for THE NEXT WAVE of bundles, will they go at the end of the queue or will they jump ahead? Simple as that.

Also, I bet you already got your Rift. Usually people that ask other users to chill out and be patient are the ones who already got it...

TheRedComet
Protege
It makes no fucking sense. You shouldn't be able to order the BUNDLE and just cancel the PC portion of the BUNDLE and get your rift before all the people who pre-ordered months in advance. This is not how you treat your customers Oculus. 
I am thinking they knew about the delay a few months in advance and didn't tell their customers because a lot of us would have jumped ship and gone to vive instead. I love the rift product, but the company is utter fucking trash. I really hope there is a better alternative for gen2, I really don't want to give these people any more money. 

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer

It makes no fucking sense. You shouldn't be able to order the BUNDLE and just cancel the PC portion of the BUNDLE and get your rift before all the people who pre-ordered months in advance. This is not how you treat your customers Oculus. 

To be fair, the cheat with the PC bundle is BestBuy's fault, because THEY allow it, not Oculus. So among the things Oculus is guilty of, this isn't one.

TheRedComet
Protege

To be fair, the cheat with the PC bundle is BestBuy's fault, because THEY allow it, not Oculus. So among the things Oculus is guilty of, this isn't one.

You'd think that they would prevent people from doing that, or at least tell best buy to sell it as a bundle only? 

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer

You'd think that they would prevent people from doing that, or at least tell best buy to sell it as a bundle only? 

I doubt that. You don't tell your business partner how to run it's business. 

blue-steel
Expert Protege

Hey guys, be careful. Nobody has breached it yet, but just a reminder that Oculus new ToS gives them the right to pull the plug or interrupt the service (that includes hardware) of anybody breaching their community guidelines. 
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure that counts for what is said on these forums as well.

The TOS wouldn't hold up in court and I would certainly take them to small claims court if they stopped me from using hardware and software I paid for.

TheRedComet
Protege

Hey guys, be careful. Nobody has breached it yet, but just a reminder that Oculus new ToS gives them the right to pull the plug or interrupt the service (that includes hardware) of anybody breaching their community guidelines. 
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure that counts for what is said on these forums as well.

The TOS wouldn't hold up in court and I would certainly take them to small claims court if they stopped me from using hardware and software I paid for.

You haven't exactly paid for it yet... That's how they get you. 

I doubt they would cancel your oculus rift over a comment on the forums, the backlash they would ge.... oh wait, they don't give two fucks about the community. 

MichaelJWP15
Protege
Could be risky, remember Elon Musk just cancelled someone's pre-order because he was rude about Tesla?

http://techcrunch.com/2016/02/01/dont-mess-with-musk/

Chewie71
Adventurer
Yeah, better be careful. You don't want to piss off Palmer Luckey. He'll personally take your toy away. I wouldn't put it past him.

JettStiles
Adventurer
Tbh as long as your order will be fulfilled within the limit stated in your estimated shipping date there is no need for panic.

However if the est. date gets pushed further into the future there'll be hell to pay. I don't wanna be the guy facing that shitstorm -- especially IF Amazon and BestBuy get a new bunch of rifts.

Lets see what the future brings...
Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 @ 3.40 Ghz -- Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3-1600 -- EVGA GTX980 ACX 2.0 -- Asus H97M-Plus -- Asus VG278H 120Hz 3D Monitor