New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Stereoscopic Player (2D/3D image/video player)

pwimmerpwimmer Posts: 5
edited November 2015 in Showcase
Hi!

I've added support for the Oculus Rift in Stereoscopic Player version 2.0.5. The current implementation allows to watch 2D and 3D images and videos on the Rift. Headtracking is not supported yet, I'll add it later when I have access to a Rift for testing. I had no chance to test this release on a real device, thus I would be happy to get some feedback, especially if you notice bugs.

To download the Stereoscopic Player, go to http://www.3dtv.at/Downloads. After the installation, run it and click View|Viewing Method|Oculus Rift. Next, load some 2D or 3D media file and click View|Full Screen Mode (Scaled). Although the player displays a distorted image in windowed mode, too, you will perceive a correct image in full screen mode only.

By default no pixels of the content are cropped. Unfortunately, this results in a large black border, especially with widescreen content. Press Ctrl+Alt+Enter to switch to the "non-fit" fullscreen mode that allows to set the zoom level with Alt+1, Alt+2, Alt+3 and so on.

Stereoscopic content is typically recorded with camera toe-in or the parallax is corrected in post. On the Rift such content would result in diverging eye axis and cause eyestrain. Consequently, the player compensates 2% positive parallax which is fine for most content. If your content exceeds 2% positive parallax you can use the left/right arrow keys to adjust the parallax.

Comments

• IM0001IM0001 Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    This works really well, 2D video content works great with it so far.

Could you fill in what the limitations are while it is in "Unlicenced Mode"? -Edit, NM found it. 5Minute Duration limit.
    i7 3930K @ 4.4Ghz | Mushkin 32GB PC2133 | SLI GTX 780s | Asus P9X79 Deluxe | Logitech G19 + G700s + G940 + G25 + Saitek X52 | Oculus DK2 + Asus VG278H @ 120 Hz + 1440P Korean Special @ 90Hz| Creative X-Fi Titanium + Klipsch ProMedia 4.1| Windows 10 Pro
  • pwimmerpwimmer Posts: 5
    Thanks for your feedback!
    IM0001 wrote:
    Could you fill in what the limitations are while it is in "Unlicenced Mode"?

In unregistered mode (no product key entered) the player closes the file after five minutes. But you can reopen it again. Otherwise the demo version is fully functional.
  • IM0001IM0001 Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    Ever consider a discout for early RIFT Developers/Adopters ;) Also Steam Greanlight would also be your friend since you support pretty much all 3D content.

Headtracking would be very nice once it is added since it appears, after watching a few 1080P videos, that it is like sitting about 3ft from my 50" plasma on the current Rift. The center is nice and clear, the edges are a bit blurry, and the corners are ever so slightly cut off. With a little head tracking, being able to look around the scene a bit would be pretty cool and cinema like.
    i7 3930K @ 4.4Ghz | Mushkin 32GB PC2133 | SLI GTX 780s | Asus P9X79 Deluxe | Logitech G19 + G700s + G940 + G25 + Saitek X52 | Oculus DK2 + Asus VG278H @ 120 Hz + 1440P Korean Special @ 90Hz| Creative X-Fi Titanium + Klipsch ProMedia 4.1| Windows 10 Pro
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Awesome work, Peter!!! It looks great.

Head-tracking would really take it to the next level, but even now I can imagine watching a movie on it. Nice.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • looking forward to trying this when kit arrives
    Thanks for sharing it with us
  • BaconrifficBaconriffic Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Awesome video player, I was thinking about doing this but you beat me to the punch. Can't wait for head tracking.
  • MrGeddingsMrGeddings Posts: 604
    Art3mis
    def will have to try it out! tempting to get a 3d camera now while i wait hehe.

oh suggestion. You might want to have an option to disable head tracking if you are viewing 3d videos/images as i imagine that wont work as well :-p for now not having headtracking im sure isnt a big issue ;-) Good stuffs!
  • JerwareJerware Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    This is great, Peter! I'm already a registered user of your player, too -- a must for anyone with a 3DTV connected to a computer, or even a 3D monitor.

I preferred ALT-2 size after hitting Ctrl+Alt+Enter. As you can imagine, the low resolution at that point hurts pretty bad compared to what you're probably used to. Of course, it's a temporary issue since resolution will only get better with each hardware generation, and it's good to establish your player early.

Congratulations!
  • I didn't have as much luck with 2D content, but the 3D videos I downloaded from 3dtv.at looked great. I also preferred the ALT-2 setting.
  • HaggemanHaggeman Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I really like this player, and I would like to buy it, but the one feature I can't find on it is the ability to delay or hasten the audio track if the video and audio fall out of sync. Is there an option to do this in this player? If not could this be added?
  • BaconBacon Posts: 13 Oculus Staff
    Fantastic stuff! Great 3D demo videos on the site.

I often have my Rift set as an extended monitor, so the [View > Full Screen Monitor > Monitor 2] option was amazing! Picked the movie on my computer monitor as usual, hit play, goggle in, enjoy. =D
  • AltAlt Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Very cool, works very well. I watched a first person sky diving video and the feeling of falling was very effective. Keep up the great work!
  • roculus99roculus99 Posts: 147
    Art3mis
    That works surprisingly well, as long as I hold my head still. Add head tracking and take my money!

Wreck it Ralph 3D looked amazing (H-SBS MKV). 2D content was a bit less compelling and I had to watch more "zoomed out". I found myself wanting to track the actors with my head, which is a path to nausea at the moment.

I never thought I would use this device to watch movies, but this is actually really compelling. With a higher res screen and a head tracked player, I would probably sell my projector. There are movies I watch with my wife, and movies I watch by myself, I could see myself using this for the later... unless there was a multi-user mode? :idea:

Nice work. Your product has the best chance of being THE Rift Ready video player, since you are already a stereoscopic expert. Can't wait until you add head tracking!
  • AltAlt Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    That works surprisingly well, as long as I hold my head still. Add head tracking and take my money!

Wreck it Ralph 3D looked amazing (H-SBS MKV). 2D content was a bit less compelling and I had to watch more "zoomed out". I found myself wanting to track the actors with my head, which is a path to nausea at the moment.

I never thought I would use this device to watch movies, but this is actually really compelling. With a higher res screen and a head tracked player, I would probably sell my projector. There are movies I watch with my wife, and movies I watch by myself, I could see myself using this for the later... unless there was a multi-user mode? :idea:

Nice work. Your product has the best chance of being THE Rift Ready video player, since you are already a stereoscopic expert. Can't wait until you add head tracking!

I totally agree, out of the box support for watching 3D movies on the Rift is a huge plus. Perhaps I'm not getting it through, what would head tracking add for a video player? I mean, movies are hardly filmed with this in mind. Unless someone where to produce content (something like streetview) that would take advantage of head tracking, I don't really see the need.
  • DycusDycus Posts: 76
    Alt wrote:
    I totally agree, out of the box support for watching 3D movies on the Rift is a huge plus. Perhaps I'm not getting it through, what would head tracking add for a video player? I mean, movies are hardly filmed with this in mind. Unless someone where to produce content (something like streetview) that would take advantage of head tracking, I don't really see the need.
    You just need the head tracking so you don't get sick when you move your head around. It would basically be like you're in a movie theater and you could look around the screen.
  • wblanchettewblanchette Posts: 48
    Brain Burst
    Any chance of support for panorama images from the iPhone 5 and photosphere equipped Android devices?
  • If I have stereoscopic content which was recorded with 0 parallax, how do I precisely disable the correction that Stereoscopic Player applies while in Oculus Rift mode?
    Any chance of support for panorama images from the iPhone 5 and photosphere equipped Android devices?

How do these panorama images differ from normal images? Once headtracking is implemented these panoramas should work, too. Or did I miss anything?
    If I have stereoscopic content which was recorded with 0 parallax, how do I precisely disable the correction that Stereoscopic Player applies while in Oculus Rift mode?

The 2% correction is hardcoded at the moment. The parallax adjustment partially allows to un-do it, but the image is cropped a bit.
  • wblanchettewblanchette Posts: 48
    Brain Burst
    pwimmer wrote:

How do these panorama images differ from normal images? Once headtracking is implemented these panoramas should work, too. Or did I miss anything?

They're full 360 degree spherical images (an android example), so I assume there would need to be some processing done to "unwrap" them for display.
  • Nick3DvBNick3DvB Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Thanks for adding Rift support so quickly Peter, I was planning on using the basic SBS mode and having to pre-warp all the videos with avisynth, but that would not have been fast enough for real-time use. I think even basic head-tracking will be an important addition, your brain really doesn’t expect the "screen" to come with you when you move you head, many Sony HMZ users have said they find it profoundly unpleasant. I did some experiments last year using SVP to add “Ambi-light” boarders to videos:

http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Setting_up ... pic_Player
    http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 825#p86825

Rift samples:
    https://rapidshare.com/files/2245506381/SBS_3D.mkv
    https://rapidshare.com/files/4200273682/SBS2_3D.mkv

I thought it might be a good solution for the Rift when viewing standard aspect-ratio movies as it would make some use of the “wasted” FOV and might help with immersion. Locking the boarder to the head-tracking and panning that frame over a slightly zoomed-in 3D video bellow might also be an interesting effect. We need some tracking freedom but for standard content that’s difficult without having to zoom / crop the original video too much, a virtual cinema is one solution, there must be some others?
  • SkyleadSkylead Posts: 10
    Does this work with nVision as well or just Rift? I am at work right now so I can't test my devices until later, but I would love to have a good 3D player for nVision as well (the default player doesn't have good file type support and VLC seems to have stopped supporting it.
  • pwimmer wrote:
    The 2% correction is hardcoded at the moment. The parallax adjustment partially allows to un-do it, but the image is cropped a bit.
    So I guess I'm not familiar enough with the GUI, do I need to press the Left or the Right key, and how many times do I need to tap that key for it to be equivalent to no correction?

It'd be awesome to see the 2% correction be made optional. (I've been a registered user since 2011, your product is awesome.)
  • crcr Posts: 2
    This works great.

I could see this being useful on aeroplanes, for watching videos privately, and cutting out all the surrounding light.

Also, nice idea Nick3DvB, with the simulated ambient lighting.
  • IsoMacintoshIsoMacintosh Posts: 325
    NerveGear
    WOW
    FINALLY I CAN HAVE A MOVIE PLAYER WHICH IS COMPLETELY USELESS FOR WATCHING FOREIGN MOVIES. ALSO NOT HAVING SUPPORT FOR FILES WITH MULTIPLE AUDIO TRACKS IS WAY COOL.

AND ONLY 40 EUROS. WHAT A DEAL.
  • KarlgamerKarlgamer Posts: 74
    WOW
    FINALLY I CAN HAVE A MOVIE PLAYER WHICH IS COMPLETELY USELESS FOR WATCHING FOREIGN MOVIES. ALSO NOT HAVING SUPPORT FOR FILES WITH MULTIPLE AUDIO TRACKS IS WAY COOL.

Dude, what is with the caps?
    NerveGear
    Karlgamer wrote:
    WOW

Dude, what is with the caps?
    i blame the peppermint liquor.
    But i really find it a ripoff to ask 40 euros for a player without subtitle support or the multiple audio support. it has been in developement for 10 years and still misses those basic features.
    its actually sad because otherwise this player seems perfect.
  • HappyHimitsuHappyHimitsu Posts: 993
    Art3mis
    i blame the peppermint liquor.

Dude, mayhaps you need to lay off the peppermint liquor a bit (although it is rather good). All but one of your 8 posts so far are either you complaining or putting somebody's work down.

Pwimmer and other developers are going out of their way to try to bring an interesting experience to everybody, and all you do is rip on what you don't like. Have you ever thought about constructive criticism?

I think this project looks awesome, and I understand that it is a WIP. Once the tracking and border issues are figured out I think this could really be something great. :)
    “If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.”
    (~I really gotta remember this shiz~)
    ― Yogi Bhajan
    NerveGear
    Dude, mayhaps you need to lay off the peppermint liquor a bit (although it is rather good). All but one of your 8 posts so far are either you complaining or putting somebody's work down.
    i complain when there is reason to complain.
    Pwimmer and other developers are going out of their way to try to bring an interesting experience to everybody, and all you do is rip on what you don't like. Have you ever thought about constructive criticism?

I think this project looks awesome, and I understand that it is a WIP. Once the tracking and border issues are figured out I think this could really be something great. :)
    i just find it offensive to ask money for a player that misses ESSENTIAL features that are available on free players. what should i do when i want to watch anime for example?
  • deibudeibu Posts: 2
    i just find it offensive to ask money for a player that misses ESSENTIAL features that are available on free players. what should i do when i want to watch anime for example?

You know, you're entirely free to develop your own app that [em]does[/em] contain all essential features so you can watch your anime shows. Or, assuming you can't develop much if anything, use any of the free apps available that you referred to. That way the people here can keep discussing this application and its existing features that interest us, and you don't have to feel offended for not getting what you want.