cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1 Light Rays are bad

benplace
Rising Star
I got my Rift yesterday and the smearing/light rays on CV1 are WAY WAY worse than what I was expecting from reviews I have read...
I really hope they come up with a way to fix this.  Playing Farlands the logo is smeared horribly, I even get smearing in the home environment where lights are around the room.  It is so bad I am embarrassed to show CV1 to my brother when he comes over this weekend.  (He has seen my DK2 without the problem)

148 REPLIES 148

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wonder if Playstation VR will have God Rays !!??

bjornberg
Protege
@swtadeline : since you dont see much god rays, how does your lenses look? Do they have lots of inprefections in the fresnel rings?

@Blyss4226 i actually feel lot of the issue is that I dont get sharp picture when I move my eyes. I would liken the feeling with wearing glases that has smudges on them. You cant see the smudge, but there is something that messes up the picture.

And for the people (most who dont have a CV1 and cant see this issue) who claims this is a known issue and feels we few lucky with a CV1 should just be happy that we have a device period. If the problem would be uniform and on both lenses, I would chalk it up to the design of the lenses. But for me its not. And thats why Im pressing on with this issue. I dont claim that there never will be glare, but I believe (cant know since I havent been able to test or even see another CV1) that sample variation of the lenses make this phenomenon more or less pronounced.

According to Reddit, PSVR lenses aren't Fresnel so they wouldn't have the rays... will be interesting to know how small the sweet spot is and how bad the chromatic aberrations..... and how light the headset! so many questions!

Blyss4226
Rising Star
@bjornberg If you are REALLY sensitive to the rays, what you might be seeing is that effect. They are present always, even when you can't see them. That's just how fresnels work. And I've noticed that in some situations, looking through the invisible godrays kind of feels yes like looking through dirty glasses.

But the main thing no matter what is: Are you satisfied? I've bothered myself over my lenses for several days, worrying if mine are okay, if I hurt them much by scratching, etc. But then I decided that I very much like the experience in the Rift and that's enough. So what mine has a small defect. So what. I've had super amazing experiences in Rift already. So any shortcomings that might be present obviously aren't dealbreakers.

Whether you are satisfied or not, only you can decide. But I think that's what ultimately matters.
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD

swtadeline
Protege
@bjornberg I see no noticable imperfections. Im not entirely sure what you mean by this. Shouldn't they all be pretty perfect? 

snappahead
Expert Protege
I see the rays, but they're a small price to pay. The lenses are fantastic. 
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

RadiAr3
Explorer
"They react strongly when you move your head. If you are in a dark scene with lots of little lights and you turn your head, it's a laser show. I'm not even joking."

So the rift is basicly useless for space games where space is dark and stars are bright? That sucks

Lemming1970
Rising Star
I wonder how many of the people that are really upset about this don't wear glasses?

While I notice the rays, I kind of ignore/forget about them very quickly. Maybe the fact I wear glasses and have done since the age of 5 helps me block them out. If I LOOK for reflections etc in my glasses they are very obvious, yet I never notice them day to day.
Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

Lemming1970
Rising Star

RadiAr3 said:

"They react strongly when you move your head. If you are in a dark scene with lots of little lights and you turn your head, it's a laser show. I'm not even joking."

So the rift is basicly useless for space games where space is dark and stars are bright? That sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agrc2OmAEYg

Quote from him.
"first thing you notice and the last thing you care about"
kind of sums it up for me TBH.

Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

Hanover
Rising Star
I received my Rift yesteday.  Only had two hours to use it.  

First of all, I already have a Gear VR.  When I first donned the headset, I felt a little underwhelmed...and it's mostly because I've already experienced VR.  I also felt like this was more like Gear VR 2.0.   It wasn't until I did my own A/B test with the Gear VR that I could tell there was less SDE and a wider/taller FOV.  I also noticed the God Rays which didn't happen in the Gear VR.  So I was really ready to go, "Really?  That's all there is?"

Then I started getting into the games and experiences.  I had enough space to stand up and walk around a little in Technolust (and I must have a strong stomach, since I could use thumb-stick movement with no issues).  I also did the same thing with The Foo Show.  Its then when you realize how awesome CV1 really is and how immersive it is.  Even playing Dark Net is "God Ray city" due to the vector-style graphics.  I was still able to get so involved with the game that they just sort of melted into the art-style of that game (I stood up for that one too.  The remote is a god send!)

As far as I'm concerned, if they're that distracting, then maybe you need to try a different game or experience?  To me, VR should really be about the experiences anyways.  Of course everyone is different...