cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1 Light Rays are bad

benplace
Rising Star
I got my Rift yesterday and the smearing/light rays on CV1 are WAY WAY worse than what I was expecting from reviews I have read...
I really hope they come up with a way to fix this.  Playing Farlands the logo is smeared horribly, I even get smearing in the home environment where lights are around the room.  It is so bad I am embarrassed to show CV1 to my brother when he comes over this weekend.  (He has seen my DK2 without the problem)

148 REPLIES 148

L_E_D_BLUE
Expert Protege
So basically we will never have perfect lenses in VR?

L_E_D_BLUE
Expert Protege

whoa182 said:

Sounds silly to be embarrassed about showing your Rift off.

Here's my experience showing to people: Every single one of them are blown away by the Rift. And they all want one - right now. Half of them were skeptical and weren't even particularly interested in VR.

And they can't stop talking about it to people. 

And then how many of them actually went out and preordered it? None?

skater0
Explorer
I prefer the light rays to the DK2 if there's a real trade off to the differences. I also want to say that if reduced FOV is another trade off, then I'm over that now and prefer it as well. Removing the clip adds quite a bit of FOV, but I decided the comfort of the clip was the better of the two. No doubt the oculus team went through all the same decisions. While I admittedly wished for a better improvement over the DK2, I am quite pleased with the CV1 they designed.

Hanover
Rising Star

whoa182 said:

Sounds silly to be embarrassed about showing your Rift off.

Here's my experience showing to people: Every single one of them are blown away by the Rift. And they all want one - right now. Half of them were skeptical and weren't even particularly interested in VR.

And they can't stop talking about it to people. 

And then how many of them actually went out and preordered it? None?

...and how many of them had the means to get one?

bjornberg
Protege
@swtadeline One would hope that the lenses are without imperfections. Mine isn't, but Oculus still feels they are OK and not something they bother do anything about.

Easiest way to spot (beside seeing lots of glare) is to shine a light into the lenses and loot at the reflections in the lens. Left and right lens here in these videos, look at 1080, left has stuff in the left hand side of the lens, the right has stuff on the bottom right hand side. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Cc9x4HQ0Q https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh8zFOb54j8

rocsen
Explorer

bjornberg said:

@swtadeline One would hope that the lenses are without imperfections. Mine isn't, but Oculus still feels they are OK and not something they bother do anything about.

Easiest way to spot (beside seeing lots of glare) is to shine a light into the lenses and loot at the reflections in the lens. Left and right lens here in these videos, look at 1080, left has stuff in the left hand side of the lens, the right has stuff on the bottom right hand side. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Cc9x4HQ0Q https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh8zFOb54j8

That definitely look like imperfections in the lens. If the glare is worse in that area, then surely Oculus needs to support you?

You might be onto something here and possible why some folks complain more than others.

Goophoba
Honored Guest

Wildt said:

Welcome to the world of fresnel lenses. I agree it's FAR worse than ANY review sites ever described.

My personal disappointment is wearing off, as I'm getting used to it, but it IS so bad that I almost feel that the visuals are a sidestep from DK2 more than an upgrade.

I'd have to agree. I have the same feeling with my CV1...

Goophoba
Honored Guest

Chewie71 said:

I want to know why these god rays were never mentioned in pre-release reviews? Even the almighty Tested kept quiet about it. So either they deliberately hid the information or it wasnt really that bad.

Ohh it's bad, real bad. But if the devs just keep the issue in mind you can design around it some what. I am afraid to load tecnolust... lots of dark spaces and bright neon lights, the worst combo for this issue... it's gonna be awful I fear. May break out the dk2 for that game, we'll have to see.

fullmelt
Expert Protege
Might not be a good idea to shine a light into the lenses because it says. Do not shine a laser or external light source through the lenses as it might damage the displays, under product care and maintenance in the health & safety and warranty guide.
ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA / I7 4790K 4.7 GHz OC / NZXT Kraken X61 280mm / 16 gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 Mhz / Evga GTX 980 SC OC, GPU Clock +124 MHz, MEM Clock +175 MHz / ADATA 256 gb SSD, CORSAIR 120 gb SSD, 2 TB HHD / win 10.

bjornberg
Protege
Yea, cause we all know that displays breaks when we shine a flashlight on them... These lenses spread the light, not focus it. Laser can be anyrhing from a red pointer to green "torch a wooden wall" kind. But "external light source" is just legalese bullshit.