New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Why are the people who "Hate Oculus" and "Canceled their order, and getting a Vive" still here?

Comments

• ChoronzonChoronzon Posts: 341
    Nexus 6
    The reason for the anger is that people are passionate about VR, especially those who have followed Oculus from DK1 onwards - and for Rift fanbois to start calling them 'trolls' simply because they are critical of company decisions doesn't do the forum any good at all.
  • SpyderSiSpyderSi Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    How do people have time to write posts as long as that?? And does anybody bother to read them?
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    I'm here to discuss VR in general.
    I don't "hate" Oculus. I'm concerned for their actions and how they might affect the VR industry. I own a Vive and will purchase a Rift when it is a complete VR package (IE: includes Touch).

In the meantime, I prefer to discuss VR content and where the industry is heading. This USED to be an excellent forum for that type of discussion and will be again once more members receive their Rifts.

Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    Glad to see I'm still your target of choice passiveVR. 
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • DrOculusDrOculus Posts: 192
    VizionVR yep i remember when the forum started and there was none of what these young folk call "fanboys" but it was just great discussion about VR as a whole (people like geekmaster..think that was his name, used to contribute here with great technical discussions about all VR devices which we don't appear to have as much of now)

I have gone Vive after following Palmer from the beginning, for a few reasons (lack of touch etc) but i still like to read/discuss everything about VR here. Why?...because i love VR
  • HanoverHanover Posts: 549
    Neo
    To be honest with you, if I knew things were going to be this political with VR on the PC, I would have just skipped it all together and waited for the PSVR.

I just wanted to play games in VR.  I wasn't making a statement, and I certainly don't care if Facebook owns Oculus (and 90% of those who hate Facebook most likely have a Facebook account).   I really just don't care.  VR politics means nothing in the grand scheme of things.  You don't see it come up on the 6 o'clock news.  I see people regurgitating the same points over and over.  Talking about a failed launch when 99% of the orders are being delievered within the delivery date windows that were provided on April 12th.  It's only been approximately one month since March 28th for heaven sakes.

I've just canceled my Reddit account.  Yes, it is a bunch of insufferable fanboys.  This forum is paradise compared to /oculus.  I don't see why anyone would want to invest in VR if they found /oculus before they purchased one.  I asked a simple question about Asynchronous Time Warp and was down-voted all to hell.  Jeeze, sorry I wanted to learn.
  • ChoronzonChoronzon Posts: 341
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2016
    Hanover said:
     and I certainly don't care if Facebook owns Oculus
    I don't care either. But the danger is that Facebook, Twitter, Reddit obsessives will infect Oculus with the same inbred, navel-gazing, self-satisfied rhetoric that we're beginning to see in smug-wanker posts.
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute

Hanover said:
     and I certainly don't care if Facebook owns Oculus
    I don't care either. But the danger is that Facebook, Twitter, Reddit obsessives will infect Oculus with the same inbred, navel-gazing, self-satisfied rhetoric that we're beginning to see in smug-wanker posts.
    That's already happened. The floodgates have opened and the VR version of Eternal September is upon us. Wait till PSVR gets in on the mix this Fall and the PC/Console wars heat up all over again.
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • SarlinSarlin Posts: 182
    Art3mis
    It's been a LONG time since a good PC/Console war explode!
  • edmgedmg Posts: 1,196
    Wintermute
    Hanover said:
    To be honest with you, if I knew things were going to be this political with VR on the PC, I would have just skipped it all together and waited for the PSVR.
    There are only a small number of dedicated fanboys. Unfortunately, they're very loud, particularly on the Vive side.
    Art3mis
    I think the real question is why are they here ?  I can understand @Notsram still being here as he was here a long while and does not qualify as a vive fanboy (though he might qualify for traitor /kidding!!!).
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    To be fair Passive your recent posts have been fine and reasoned.

In the past you have posted misinformation about Oculus and have been called out at the time, you have hailed room scale as the future and accused all those who aren't interested as Oculus fanboys (myself included).

It appeared that you where a complete Vive fanboy who called anybody who disagreed with you opinion a fanboy/stupid/blind.

As said you seem to have backed down from this stance and have actually started discussing your opinion and how it varies to other people so carry on and be happy.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • RayvolutionRayvolution Posts: 208
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2016
    Great responses! I'm really glad this thread didn't become a flame war. :)

It actually sounds like I'm thinking the same way most everyone else is in the end. Personally, I have no problem with Vive owners on this forum, who cares? VR is VR! My only concern was the vocal minority that seems to just want to complain, and they simply won't shut up. It's strange, because some of the complainers who switched to the Vive camp seem hell bent on proving their decisions are the right ones, and we're all stupid for not following them. It reminds me of the "my console is better" fanboy arguments, because people have this internal need to justify their decisions and can't handle if someone decided differently.

As others said (and I again, totally agree). We all have the right to complain, this isn't an echo chamber. I'm more concerned with the people who seem to be blatantly insulting and anyone who tries to get them to calm down with any reasoning what so ever is suddenly a "Fanboy" or an "Apologist" (or some other term I won't repeat here! ;) ). All the drama is just silly to me.
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,792
    Project 2501
    I like that both VIVE and Rift owners can post here, I just don't like it when one side feels the need to thrash the other to validate their purchase. We can all discuss VR and the advantages of both HMD without turning it to a dick measuring context
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I9 [email protected], 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner
    Nexus 6
    maxpare79 said:
    I like that both VIVE and Rift owners can post here, I just don't like it when one side feels the need to thrash the other to validate their purchase. We can all discuss VR and the advantages of both HMD without turning it to a dick measuring context
    But my Rift is better than your silly Vive and there's nothing you can do to convince me otherwise!

besides. I have Lucky's Tale, your silly Vive can't handle an advanced, robust game like Lucky's Tale without advanced emulation software to hack your way in, and even then it doesn't work right!

/s ;)
    Art3mis
    Oh yeah @Rayvolution well well my Vive (which I don't have) has controllers that allow me to flip burgers and do other mundane jobs like I do in real life.  so HA. ;)
  • HanoverHanover Posts: 549
    Neo
    I was originally going to get both, but as I saw more reviews from people who bought both say they were gravitating towards their Rift (easier to put on, more convenient, Vive was more of a "show company" HMD), I had second thoughts.  Then when I saw the Unspoken videos/previews, I realized that the touch controllers were really trying to emulate hands, and that makes more sense to me than holding "tools" with the Vive.  So I decided to keep the money from the Vive and order a HOTAS and a Wheel.

My Rift arrived earlier this week, and I have to say I know I've made the right decision.  Especially after standing up and literally walking around the cabin of the Foo show in my gaming basement.  The tracking on The Rift was a lot better than I had thought.  I even stood up and walked around my my ship on Elite Dangerous.  So I don't really feel like I'm missing anything except for touch controls.  But really, I have enough games to play that are completely distracting me from that.

Just because I made a decision to buy a Rift doesn't mean I hate the Vive.  I made the decision based on myself and what I want from gaming.  I made the decision based on ease of use.  I'm also lazy and didn't want to worry about installing boxes on my walls and going through the room-trace thing on the Vive.  I'm a gamer, not a VR enthusiast.  Even having The Rift, I still played a 2D game today (Layers of Fear).  So there you go.  :)

Now if someone wanted to give me a Vive or I found one at the store with a hefty discount, I'd gladly own one to try it out. 
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    Wintermute
    After getting both and using both frequently, I love them both equally for different reasons.  

The Vive's extra FOV comes in real handy for games like Audioshield, where the harder levels are throwing orbs at your peripheral vision.  It has a little more screendoor than the Rift, but you don't notice it so much when you are into the game or experience.  The tracking of the whole package is solid as a rock and the room-scale content is making great use of it.  Playing games like Audioshield make you sweat (especially the harder level) and it seems like the Vive is holding up well to all the sweat(I soak that foam like they were ski goggles).  I hate gyms and can't really get out and do sports as much as I would like, so the Vive has been a godsend in that regard.  I feel better than I have in a long time.

The Rift is so comfy after playing a bunch of Audioshield, it almost feels like it disappears off my head sometimes.  I wait until I am not a sweaty mess, so it stays nice and clean :).  The headphones are way more comfortable than the earbuds of the Vive and makes putting on the HMD easier.  The mitigated screendoor, higher resolution, and low latency are so awesome in games like Elite and FSX with Flyinside.  I was so used to the DK2 that everything looks so much more clear and clean.  They have really optimized Elite planetary landings and they are amazing.  I used to need to dumb some graphics settings to get it to not judder, but ultra settings are butter smooth now.
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • godwispergodwisper Posts: 203
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2016
    Simple answer to OP. Nobody dictates where and what I do so if I want to browse and chat in this forum I can by all means. This is called freedom of speech and is found in democratic countries.

30 minutes ago I took the plunge and bought the vive from ebay. My decision was easy....choose between seated versus seated/roomscale experience so I went for the full package.

But yeah I own a DK2 for now and a gearVR so why not browse these forums as well and why would someone like you come and say the opposite ?
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2016
    godwisper said:
    Simple answer to OP. Nobody dictates where and what I do so if I want to browse and chat in this forum I can by all means. This is called freedom of speech and is found in democratic countries.

30 minutes ago I took the plunge and bought the vive from ebay. My decision was easy....choose between seated versus seated/roomscale experience so I went for the full package.

But yeah I own a DK2 for now and a gearVR so why not browse these forums as well and why would someone like you come and say the opposite ?
    You don't seem to have actually read my post, and based on what you said you have a totally logical reason to be here and aren't being a troll.

I by no means said "If you don't own a Rift GTFO". I have no problem with Vive guys being here at all, it's great to hear about their side of VR since I can only experience the Rift side. My only gripe is with the ones who are here trying to put down Oculus and Rift owners to justify their decisions, or just be trolls and bring down the community. But most of those tend to find themselves banned after a while anyway.

Also, that freedom of speech, xkcd puts it fairly well.
    (Not directed at you, just my personal feelings about freedom of speech on an internet forum)

• However you intended. This post from the title to what lies within. Reads like FANBOY DRIVEL. 

oculus loyalists who can't admit what EVERY news report has called a 'terrible' launch, as being just that. 

Palmer is young. 
    It's  new tech. 
    Have patience. 
    I can wait. 
    New launch young company!!
    consoloes have issues too!
    i got other things to do!
    you should too!
     To the ENDLESS excuses given   It's all bull. 

The company failed to deliver. Literally. I ordered within the first few secs. Didn't get my rift. 
    it wasn't explained. These actions showed they cared less about my business. I moved on. 
    I SHOULD HAVE. this isn't how you do business, if problems occur. Which they do, you explain to your customers what the delay is. Tell them a new date and compensate them for the inconveinence . Period. 

You don't do what oculus did. 

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OCULUS SIMPLETONS. ITS ABOUT BUSINESS AND HOW ITS CONDUCTED. the product itself could be great. I don't know I never recieved mine. part of the issue now isn't it? 

The vive is a great alternative to the rift. They deliver on the established dates and communicate to their customers. Forgive me I like that. 

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,357 Valuable Player
    I agree with dangerous in the regard that even asking the question stokes the flames. People have a right  to express themselves whether they are pro Vive anti Oculus or whatever. Their presence here should never be called into question. It's an open forum and no matter how you word it this thread adds to the toxicity by its very nature intended or otherwise.

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • Cmndr-HillCmndr-Hill Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    I love BANANA <3

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,679 Valuable Player
    edited April 2016

Edit: Deleted my post, I am not sure why I get involved sometimes. It's like ground hog day in these kind of posts and there never is a winner.

• The company failed to deliver. Literally. I ordered within the first few secs. Didn't get my rift. 
    it wasn't explained. These actions showed they cared less about my business. I moved on. 
    I SHOULD HAVE. this isn't how you do business, if problems occur. Which they do, you explain to your customers what the delay is. Tell them a new date and compensate them for the inconveinence . Period. 
    I really don't want to get into a fight with you because you seemed to have already made up your mind about this; however, I will challenge this.  Oculus did exactly this, although it was a couple of days late.  They informed us of a "component shortage" and told us when they were going to give us an updated estimated ship date.  They also comped us the shipping charges which were expensive for some people.  Seems to me that they did exactly what you wanted them to do "you explain to your customers what the delay is [component shortage]. Tell them a new date [update to the estimated ship date] and compensate them for the inconveinence [comped the shipping fees]".

You may not like how they did those things but they did do them nonetheless.
  • The company failed to deliver. Literally. I ordered within the first few secs. Didn't get my rift. 
    I really don't want to get into a fight with you because you seemed to have already made up your mind about this; however, I will challenge this.  Oculus did exactly this, although it was a couple of days late.  They informed us of a "component shortage" and told us when they were going to give us an updated estimated ship date.  They also comped us the shipping charges which were expensive for some people.  Seems to me that they did exactly what you wanted them to do "you explain to your customers what the delay is [component shortage]. Tell them a new date [update to the estimated ship date] and compensate them for the inconveinence [comped the shipping fees]".

I don't like how they did it. The shortage was no surprise and they waited DAYS AFTER THE ESTIMATED SHIP DATE to explain. 

They  did what I suggested. But way too late , which of course you knew but lamented anyway. 
    I don't go to the restaurant and order food to be told three days later "sorry you've been waiting three days but we're out of steak. 

• Chewie71Chewie71 Posts: 142
    But your soda is free. What's the problem? :}
  • Chewie71 said:
    But your soda is free. What's the problem? :}
    True. There's that. 
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    The company failed to deliver. Literally. I ordered within the first few secs. Didn't get my rift. 

I don't like how they did it. The shortage was no surprise and they waited DAYS AFTER THE ESTIMATED SHIP DATE to explain. 

They  did what I suggested. But way too late , which of course you knew but lamented anyway. 
    I don't go to the restaurant and order food to be told three days later "sorry you've been waiting three days but we're out of steak. 

I get a feeling the waited until they knew it wasn't recoverable, ie if they told everybody there would be delays then a shipment of the missing component arrives and all is well they would look silly.

Also I was estimated April shipping at order and my rift has just shipped, so its not even late and I got free postage.

They have a very happy well informed customer here.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • Everyday is sunny and bright. 

How how could this possibly be true?

you point out a very RARE exception to the rule and use it to infer oculus has been customer friendly. 

Lets  not forget that THREE DAYS LATER THEY BASICALLY SAID WAIT UNTIL APRIL 12th FOR DETAILS?

my estimate was march 28th.  I'm  not happy  if I were you I would be. Being that I'm  me however who rushed to be one of the first to pre order and got royally screwed only to have someone say 'be patient', I'm not. 

No other purchaser who shopped according to ship date and or price would be told "be patient. Read a book. Enjoy nature " or any of the other crap suggestions given here. Would be advised so. 

How about. Speak with your wallet?

Honor or your practices? 

Inform your customers accordingly?

this passive approach to these business practices are mindblowing.  As a marine maybe I'm just not accustomed to bullshit.