Protege
Too exciting :smiley: 
53 REPLIES 53

EliteSPA
Superstar
Amazing! Now the waiting is harder lol.
Come on rift come to meeeeee 
Source?
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

Zoomie
Expert Trustee

I'm still curious to see how they integrate motion controls to this game. 

With Dino Island 2 and an XBox controller, I used the HMD to direct my free hand to a hold, then held down the left or right trigger to "grab".  Once my trigger was pulled I could release the opposite hand trigger to position my second hand.  Simple mechanic that worked well.

But how does it work with Touch?  When I reach up with my right hand, I'll see the virtual hand and can place it over a hold and "grab" with my fingers - awesome.  This sounds very intuitive.

But now that my hand has grabbed, what happens when I drop that arm to my side.  Will I be lurched upwards as if I'd done that move in real life?  I guess that's fine, especially since that's similar to what you do in real life to reach higher holds.  That's a better solution than your simulated hand and your real hand being in different positions.  That would instantly break immersion.

So what happens if I grab with both hands, then drop one arm to my side while still holding with both Touch controllers.  Do I spin?  If these two hand-holds are only a foot apart, what happens when I continue holding with both hands and move my arms out to my sides as far as I can reach?  What does the game do?

I'm sure they have a solution so I'm curious to see how they've solved it.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Thug
Heroic Explorer

EliteSPA said:

Source?

An email sent to those who left their details for any updates...

The Climb hits the Rift April 28!

We’re delighted to confirm that The Climb will launch for Oculus Rift this Thursday, April 28. Get ready to race to the top of leaderboards, beat intense bouldering challenges, explore beautiful environments, and feel the vertigo and adrenaline of each and every ascent.

VISIT THE CLIMB WEBSITE
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Link
© 2016 Crytek GmbH ('Crytek'). All Rights Reserved. Crytek, CRYENGINE, The CLIMB and their respective logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Crytek in the EU, the USA & other territories. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Crytek GmbH Grüneburgweg 16-18 Frankfurt am Main 60322 Germany

CPU: Intel i9-10990k.
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX3080,
RAM: 32GB DDR5,
Viewed on: Oculus Quest 2 or 28" BenQ monitor (x2),
Hard Drive: 2TB Samsung SSD (games), 512GB Samsung SSD (OS), 512GB SSD (3d),

Percy1983
Superstar

Zoomie said:

I'm still curious to see how they integrate motion controls to this game. 

With Dino Island 2 and an XBox controller, I used the HMD to direct my free hand to a hold, then held down the left or right trigger to "grab".  Once my trigger was pulled I could release the opposite hand trigger to position my second hand.  Simple mechanic that worked well.

But how does it work with Touch?  When I reach up with my right hand, I'll see the virtual hand and can place it over a hold and "grab" with my fingers - awesome.  This sounds very intuitive.

But now that my hand has grabbed, what happens when I drop that arm to my side.  Will I be lurched upwards as if I'd done that move in real life?  I guess that's fine, especially since that's similar to what you do in real life to reach higher holds.  That's a better solution than your simulated hand and your real hand being in different positions.  That would instantly break immersion.

So what happens if I grab with both hands, then drop one arm to my side while still holding with both Touch controllers.  Do I spin?  If these two hand-holds are only a foot apart, what happens when I continue holding with both hands and move my arms out to my sides as far as I can reach?  What does the game do?

I'm sure they have a solution so I'm curious to see how they've solved it.

This is exactly the problem I really don't see how it could work in a realistic way, with that I have seen people demo this and they all said the controls work great and you forget about it.

I wonder if this will support liquid VR as crytek did say they are supporting.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

Synthetic
Rising Star
Put a Hold on my bank account!

The climb is nearly here

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Thug
Maybe you should edit your post to remove the unsubscribe link that is at the bottom of your email. I clicked it and it says I am now unsubscribed. Thing is, I wasn't even subscribed to begin with which can only mean I have unsubscribed you instead... o:)

StreetPreacher
Adventurer
Is the motion control support already included in the release build?  Just wondering if we'll be able to play this with the Wand controllers when it's hacked to work on the Vive?

Synthetic
Rising Star
anyone know what shop or any other info?
not much on the net about release

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
Hopefully HTC will let Vive use the Oculus SDK so you can just buy it and play!
@Atmos73 I haven't held one, but my hunch is that you cup it with the crook of your hand, and maybe grab the stem with the pinky and ring fingers for stability.  The index finger, middle finger, and thumb are now a 3 fingered hand with which to do actions.

So you'd grip with 3 fingers and stabilize the controller with the remaining two and the crook of your hand.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Synthetic
Rising Star
If this is anything like dinosaur island we are in for a big treat