cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got My Oculus Glasses!

cybereality
Grand Champion
Just picked these up and they are perfect for using Rift.

kdf6wckpfczl.jpg

The rimless frame and thin arms are great for fitting inside the headset. Very comfortable. And the lenses are nearly the same size as the Rift lenses, so I can get the full FOV while playing. 

The model number is "Airlock Wisdom 203" if anyone wants to get them.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
44 REPLIES 44

I'm inclined to take the advice of people who are actually using the glasses in the Rift but I can see that confort may be affected by the thickness and therefore the weight of the lens... I'm strongly myopic so my lenses are a fair bit thicker and heavier than those in the pic... even so the latest plastic lens glasses I bought seem feather-light.

Don't forget a motorcycle helmet presses against the head in a large area, all over ther ears, temples cheaks.. in fact just about everywhere. The Rift only presses the face where the foam ring is, which is only 15mm wide, where the glasses arms pass over the temples so if the arm thickness and snugness against the temples is right, the Rift won't add to their pressure... well that's just my opinion.. I've worn my rimless glasses in the Rift but the arms are much thicker and stand off my temples so not good.

cybereality
Grand Champion
The glasses are very comfortable, and do work fine in Rift. Though the headset is pressed on your face, the pressure is light, especially if you adjust the velcro straps all the way out. The only place where the headset touches the glasses is on the side arms (between your eye and your ear) but it's not very tight.

I've worn the headset probably 100 times with my older rimless glasses, and never had an issue. I understand the glasses are not as strong as rimmed frames, and I have had these older glasses break on me once before (not related to VR). So I agree that they have a high chance of damage, but it's not as extreme as you may assume. A VR headset is not a motorcycle helmet.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Heatherlee
Protege

I've looked at LASIK, and had it recommended by friends, but I'm just not comfortable with getting surgery on my eyes. They say the chance of serious complications is under 1 percent, but even a 1% chance of losing my vision is more risk than I'm willing to accept. Plus, the fact that your vision can still degrade and you end up with glasses anyway seems like a bust. I'm fine with using glasses for now.

That's kind of like saying "Hey I'll end up dying anyways...so why bother dieting or exercising? They're a bust" LASIK works. And if you go with a reputable company - they provide a lifetime warranty provided you stay up to date on your eye exams. I had LASIK done twice at my own discretion when my eye-sight slightly went down. Wasn't an issue at all. 1% risk is more than you're willing to accept?

Don't step outside the house then :P. The chance of you dying is more than 1% too. But yet you still do that don't you? LOL.

I will never understand people who say LASIK is too dangerous but then step outside and actually dare to cross signals.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

and I have had these older glasses break on me once before (not related to VR). So I agree that they have a high chance of damage, but it's not as extreme as you may assume. A

Mine look similar, except with a thin rim around the lenses.  I don't think there's any risk of them breaking, they're made of nice springy titanium.

I expect they'll work fine when my Rift shows up someday...

cybereality
Grand Champion

Don't step outside the house then :P. The chance of you dying is more than 1% too. But yet you still do that don't you? LOL.

I would probably rather not step outside if I didn't have to. I'd just live on the internet.

Heatherlee
Protege

I would probably rather not step outside if I didn't have to. I'd just live on the internet.

Soon..Oculus World will be a reality :open_mouth: 

@Heatherlee, I think the only way to understand risk is to know the numbers.

I've stepped outside my house approximately 20,000 times in my life (I keep count) and so far so good 🙂 so let's say that's a 1 in 10,000 chance of an accident and I've just been lucky and well overdue (that's a 0.01% chance of an accident)

LASIK is safe I agree, but the chances of halos or ghosting or starbursts was 45% in the FDA's studies (some of those symptoms may be very slight admittedly), dry eyes was 30% and 1% had problems doing tasks they would normally do because of poor vision.

I'm sure LASIK offer a great lifetime guarantee but what exactly are they guaranteeing.... your money back if it goes wrong?

....now that I'm overdue for an accident I'm staying inside too

Hanover
Rising Star

Soon..Oculus World will be a reality :open_mouth: 

There better be plenty of Roller Coasters in Oculus World.  🙂

jademan
Heroic Explorer

I did contacts for a few years here and there. There are pros and cons. What is good is that 

But what if you got your hands on these contacts?  Could make recording VR gameplay easier? lol:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3567402/Sony-patent-application-reveals-new-contact-l...

(video in article)