cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Home (SDK 1.3) and DK1

zoost
Explorer
I would like to receive some help and/or pointers from fellow DK1 owners as to how to get a DK1 to work with the new Oculus Home (SDK 1.3). I came as far as the Oculus Home application recognizing my DK1 as a HMD and recognizing my PS3 controller as a valid controller, but it is not allowing me to play because it want to detect a tracking sensor as well. Installing the apps also all wend fine.

Does anybody have got the DK1 to work with the new Oculus Home?
Is there a way to tell the Oculus Home to ignore the fact that there is no tracking device?

Please do not clutter this thread with remarks about buying the CV1 and/or DK2. I understand that that will be the better solution.
69 REPLIES 69

Mindweaver
Explorer

Jarom said:

So DK1 and 0.8 still work with SteamVR so many of the VR games are still playable via that. Not gonna lie when I say I feel rather confused when Valve is treating Oculus users better than Oculus. Of course DK1 was pre-facebook time so perhaps DK1 is no longer considered first-party hardware. It makes things like this seem pretty reasonable when generally I don't condone such blatant hacking.

Edit: I should add that I have tried the linked hack to play Lucky's Tale on DK1. Nothing showed on the headset but tracking worked so I scaled up the resolution on my TV via the registry, rubberbanded my headset to my controller and played it like a wii game and it worked alright. Nothing spectacular or worth the effort but it did work.

Yea, I'm a little upset with Oculus over this as well. Example: I can't play a game I know is on Oculus home like Adventure Time and the Rose, but I can on SteamVR. It's a little frustrating, because I would have bought games day one on Oculus home, but so far SteamVR has my money. I thought for sure because Luckey even said they would support Development Kits. I was hoping to at least build my Oculus Home library before I received my CV1. Oh and like I posted above a user posted on Reddit that they purchased a Deepoon D2 and it works just fine with Oculus Home... and it lacks Positional tracking.. I know @cybereality is busy, but I hope he comes back with some good news.

socapex
Honored Guest
Same here. Head tracking works in Unity but no video feed 😕 Going to test out 0.8.

Mindweaver
Explorer
Nothing @cybereality ? I know you are very busy, but do you have anything you can share? Thanks!

jon
Heroic Explorer
The DK1 is probably never going to see official support in Oculus Home because it works directly against what Oculus is trying to offer through their store front in contrast to Steam - a polished, reliable and high quality experience.  I don't mean this as a glib slight, but an acknowledgement that the DK1 constrains potential usage in a way the DK2 does not due to it's lack of positional tracking.  Supporting it in Oculus Home would open a can of worms Oculus probably doesn't want to, and shouldn't address.  I'd rather they spend their time catering to CV1, Touch and the improvements needed on Oculus Home than commit any resources to supporting an obsoleted developer kit.

Valve, on the other hand, has a store model that's much more accommodating to the DK1 as it currently stands because they prioritize device/OS support over guaranteeing any sort of quality level across devices.  Many VR and non-VR applications have been released or introduced through Early Access to become abandoned, wither and eventually break (while remaining listed in their store).  On the plus side it's also a system that promotes an indie developer atmosphere, and in these early days of VR a lot of content will come to the HMDs precisely through indie developers.

For what it's worth, I suspect DK2 will be abandoned within a year as well.  Likely, after Oculus has caught up on CV1 shipping and after the Touch has launched, they'll use the lack of support for Touch on the DK2 as a reason to officially drop support for it from Oculus Home.

The near future of VR HMD release cycles will be more like cell phones than consoles as 'game changing' bells and whistles are added to future iterations at a staggering pace.   With Oculus aspiring to be more like Apple than Android, don't expect old models to hang around for a particularly long time.

Mindweaver
Explorer
@jon - I thought the same thing, but another guy posted on reddit that his Deepoon E2 works just fine on Oculus home and it lacks positional tracking... So, what this tells me is just wait til something better comes along from china.. and don't get me wrong I support not keeping support for old hmd's forever, but not until they are readily available... Trust me I wouldn't need for my dk1 to work with home if I could buy a CV1 and have it now.. Not wait months down the road. Sorry if it sounds like I'm ranting.. I'm just frustrated. That I can play most of the 3rd party game for Oculus just fine using steamvr, but not be able to use Home..

cybereality
Grand Champion
As far as I know DK1 is no longer supported. DK2 will only be supported through the end of the year, to support game developers that are in the midst of development and are not able to get enough consumer kits for their needs. The focus now is on the consumer version and, really, the whole point of the developer kits was to prepare for the consumer version. Now that the consumer kit is out, it only makes sense to focus the effort there. Hope that makes sense.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Mindweaver
Explorer
Fair enough @cybereality thanks for the response.

david3dwood
Honored Guest
DK1 owner.   very very unhappy with OUCHculus right now........................................................   why did I ever support this group -  now when they have so much -      I know we bought into the whole beta program development timeframe but seriously how hard could a back compatible driver be to create -  just take some things out...

david3dwood
Honored Guest
and whatever happened to the CV1 pricepoint of about $350?    doesnt anybody see how its going tocost 800 after you through in the hand controllers?????    seriously people wake up.

Mindweaver
Explorer
@david3dwood sadly that's why our dk1's don't work now, because they took stuff out.. When they could have just left it in.. Honestly, this pretty much sealed the deal on me buying a Vive or wait for better Chinese headsets.

I've said it a few times in here, and oddly nobody thinks it's an issue with everyone being silent about it... You can buy a Deepoon E2 right now that works with Oculus home and all the games and it's nothing more than a DK2 without positional tracking. I hope Oculus gets back on the right track, but I doubt it at this point. It's obvious they are worried more about money than VR at this point. Palmer said they would not stop dk user from using home.. He needs to talk to his investors, before talking out of turn.. He might be the face of the company, but it's clear it's not his company anymore. The guy that carried around duck taped together homemade hmd's would have wanted as many people to use VR as possible. I'm not blaming Luckey by no means, the good guy we all invested our money into is still in there somewhere. I'm blaming myself for trusting a company that is clearly looking to gain back 2 billion dollars as quickly as possible. /rant

At some point all the shortages will clear up and we'll all be able to walk into a bestbuy or walmart and buy an HMD. But at this rate how knows.. I've seen monkeys have shit fights at the zoo more organized than this mess...