cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMA Rift, Received New Unit, Defective Also. - Full PM conversation page 20

oOunknownuserOo
Expert Protege

I'm all out of options already for this thing.  I used it for about 20 minutes and it was pretty damn sweet,  much better than the DK1 / DK 2.   It seems like you have the same tinkering issues as you did with the previous devices to get it to work though. 

All items are connected and the oculus home shows connected.   However I do not have any display, the light stays orange.  I rebooted over and over,  I removed the monitor cable.  I switched the monitor cable to where the rift is plugged in to ensure that port is working.   All is working on the PC but the display for the rift.   I have plugged and unplugged the usb - like I said everything says its working.

I'm giving up because sure its a CDN $950 device, but I've had this thing for almost 12 hours now and was able to used it for maybe 25 minutes.   I think my time is going to become more valuable if this continues.

I tried another PC and same thing.

668 REPLIES 668

Syrellaris
Rising Star

sandivuk said:

brantlew said:

Try reseating the other side of the cable - the part that connects into the headset.  It's just a standard connector so just put a little pressure and see if it clicks in.  Can sometimes become unseated during shipping.

did that a few times, and when  it connects windows makes that sound.   But, no HDMI.

Sounds 100% like a faulty cable to me. Have you tried a HDMI 2.0 cable? (the actual kind and not the cheap knock offs)

The Oculus HMD cable is proprietary and you can't use just any HDMI cable

sandivuk said:

brantlew said:

Try reseating the other side of the cable - the part that connects into the headset.  It's just a standard connector so just put a little pressure and see if it clicks in.  Can sometimes become unseated during shipping.

did that a few times, and when  it connects windows makes that sound.   But, no HDMI.

Sounds 100% like a faulty cable to me. Have you tried a HDMI 2.0 cable? (the actual kind and not the cheap knock offs)

The Oculus HMD cable is proprietary and you can't use just any HDMI cable

Hmm? I never read anything about that. All I read is that it uses a standard HDMI 1.3 cable.

Nothing standard about this at all.

Care to provide a link to this information?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Rift uses standard HDMI 1.3 and USB 3.0. However, the connection to the headset is using a custom port.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
This thread is a living nightmare.
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

cybereality
Grand Champion

I'm very sorry. We do try to provide quality control at the factory, but of course defects can happen. And it's rare for someone to receive two defective units, but of course possible. Rest assured we will fix this situation, and we are sending the OP a new cable today. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Syrellaris
Rising Star
Thank you cybereality, that explains a lot.

CharlieHobbes
Rising Star
I am following this thread with interest because it should show what kind of Customer Service Oculus is offering for issues they can fix. 

No they can't ship units they don't have, and no they can't just take a customers word for an RMA if no diagnostics is run so don't give me that. 

They can however ship a cable, so if they ship the cable (and it solves the issue) the issue is solved. 

oOunknownuserOo
Expert Protege
How about my free touch controllers?

That seems to have been lost in this thread.

LOL!

oOunknownuserOo
Expert Protege

I'm very sorry. We do try to provide quality control at the factory, but of course defects can happen. And it's rare for someone to receive two defective units, but of course possible. Rest assured we will fix this situation, and we are sending the OP a new cable today. Thanks.

@cybereality can you have someone email me the tracking information.   I sent an email requesting this information because the last time UPS did not notify me.

Chivas
Expert Protege
Wow...that's terrible news. Palmer should hand deliver and setup a new Rift for you.  Atleast your not as far away as Alaska.   Hopefully you will get it sorted quickly.

oOunknownuserOo
Expert Protege

Chivas said:

Wow...that's terrible news. Palmer should hand deliver and setup a new Rift for you.  Atleast your not as far away as Alaska.   Hopefully you will get it sorted quickly.

At this point I would not care if Donald Duck dropped by and hand delivered to me a Rift.  So long as the thing was functional.