cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subnautica performance HORRIBLE in saved game... new game is fine

Blyss4226
Rising Star
This may be related to my problem here: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/35475/subnautica-makes-my-gpu-get-stupid-hot? but I don't know. I just noticed this this morning.

Basically in my 5ish hour save game performance has gotten ludicrously bad. If I start a brand new game with the same settings, the FPS is about FOUR TIMES as high. E.G. 120 FPS compared to 30. In the exact same biome.

Is something suspicious with my save? I've even tried turning graphics settings to minimum and even turning them all the way down through the F3 menu but it won't go above 30ish FPS!

@Nobbs66 - I know you've been playing - has your performance gotten worse as you go?

Screenshot examples with FPS counter(outside of VR but still useful)

Brand new game:

5 hour saved game:

EVEN LOOKING STRAIGHT AT THE GROUND I GET 30 FPS!:

I think it may be what's causing my overheating issue above as well, but I wanted a thread that might attract people who've noticed this progressive drop as time goes on. These screenshots were taken within a minute of each other, btw.
Ideas? I really don't wanna start over just because of this issue. What's to say it won't repeat again, anyway? Damn early access >< It's such an awesome game though.

Spec:
i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz
R9 290 @ 1100 Core, 1450 mem
16GB RAM
Windows 10 x64
Subnautica is on SSD
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nope, letting my pc idle for a bit lets me jump back up to 100 fps even with a save 3 hours in 

H4TE
Expert Protege
Im curious about this, downloading right now.

edit: played around for a few minutes but everything seemed fine, GPU temps were also very good with numbers in the high 50's only, NVIDIA here. :no_mouth: 

Blyss4226
Rising Star
It took hours to get to the point where it's like 30 FPS.
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD

Synthetic
Rising Star
Blyss game sounds a bit waterlogged 

Blyss4226
Rising Star
I discovered if I load my save and let it set for 20 minutes the framerate mostly recovers.

But twenty minutes! What the F?!?

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Blyss4226 said:

I discovered if I load my save and let it set for 20 minutes the framerate mostly recovers.

But twenty minutes! What the F?!?

So,  if you load the save and then wait it improves. 

If you reload the same save it goes back to poor?

If you save it when performance is good and then load that save is it poor performance or good?

If you can reload the 20 minute later save and performance is still good it sounds kind of like something in the game world that is eating up a lot of processing time despawning.

Blyss4226
Rising Star
I haven't tried that actually. If I close the game and reload yeah it resets and I have to wait again. I've not tried just loading the save like that without closing. I will try tomorrow.

It's definitely something with the save though, as I've gone New Game, observed 120 FPS, then immediately loaded save and dropped to 20-30.

I can think of two possibilities:
1. I save ludicrously often - like every 2 minutes. Maybe this somehow caused a glitch.
2. Maybe because my save is like 7 hours and I've done many things, it's like "applying" the changes of my save during that time. I know that's weird and that's not how things should work, but it's a thought I had.

The whole reason I discovered this is @Nobbs66 was playing and talking about it and it made me wanna play. So I decided to just swim randomly as far away from where I'd been building my base as possible and see if anything changed. While doing this I saw my FPS just instantly go from like 25-30 to 90-100 after about 15-20 minutes. I was shocked so I started swimming back. To my surprise when I got back inside my base(which had been at 19 FPS when I left) it was 70 FPS!

That was in monitor mode, the same experience repeated in Rift(but with lower peak FPS of about 60-70) once I closed the game and plugged my Rift in. I swam around at an FPS so low I couldn't even catch a fish(because I couldn't tell when I was close enough to grab it because the lag) and suddenly it shot up after about 15 minutes. I played fine from that point for about 2 hours.