cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please let us disable or dismiss "Your computer doesn't meet Rift's recommended specifications"

shockslayer84
Explorer
zwbpp2lccz79.jpg
Yes I get it, my i7 3770 is like 1 percent worse than the recommended i5 but that doesn't mean it's not VR ready.  It's not like i'm running an Intel Pentium 4.

Please, this message is very annoying and ruins the complete look and feel of Oculus Home for me and others.

Even people on Reddit are starting to complain about it and it will only get worse once more people receive their Rifts and start to download the software https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4d6gt1/stop_telling_me_im_unworthy/

I understand that you guys want people to be aware of how their VR experience could be poor if they aren't using at least the minimum recommended specs and that's why i'm not advocating to remove the message entirely, but to at least let the user dismiss or hide it once they've acknowledged it.

I know it's not one of those ground breaking bugs high on your radar but it would be nice to know at least that it's on the "to do" list of thing to address.

Thanks!
65 REPLIES 65

jon
Heroic Explorer

blindrezo said:

@water_ - That's all fine and dandy, but Oculus should allow us the option to disable it.  They can even popup a message stating that by clicking on this, we agree to not blame Oculus for any problems that may occur, yada yada yada...  Something along those lines.  That's just my opinion.

I agree, it would be nice to be able to toggle off display of this highly inaccurate warning.

Ricktor_Black
Adventurer

I wonder why they didn't do a test like Steam VR.  Here's a video from some guy on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVmfT8QhvEQ

They did... when the CV1 was announced I downloaded a little client which looked at my specs to tell me if my rig was "VR Ready".  I thought everybody did that?  Vavle's tool was a lot more fancier and more comprehensive, but they accomplished the same task.

jon
Heroic Explorer

I wonder why they didn't do a test like Steam VR.  Here's a video from some guy on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVmfT8QhvEQ

They did... when the CV1 was announced I downloaded a little client which looked at my specs to tell me if my rig was "VR Ready".  I thought everybody did that?  Vavle's tool was a lot more fancier and more comprehensive, but they accomplished the same task.

Not entirely true.

Oculus did release a utility to test compatibility, but it wasn't the same sort of tool as Valve released.  Valve's tool was an actual benchmarking tool that ran through a VR scene and determined whether the performance of your setup was sufficient or not.  Oculus' tool was a hardware checklist tool that compared what it found on your system with a list of known, supported hardware.  For many people this might be functionally the same, for the people who tweak and overclock their systems it is quite different.

ten10
Protege
I even enjoy to see this message and still my "not really capabable" PC system runs just about anything fine (DK2).
For instance:
Valkyrie - fast and smooth  ... Lucky's Tale - fast and smooth ... The climb - fast and smooth ... Adrift - fast and smooth ... DCS World 1.5 and 2.0 - fast and mostly smooth ... and more ...
So makes me feeling satisfied, that recommended PC specs aren't engraved in stone  😉 .

mambo1888
Rising Star
Ive got an i7 3930k @ 4GHz and have no issues at all but still get the message as its older than the minimum, I have to admit the sign is annoying and would probably break me down into upgrading for no reason. I got rid of the USB errors by fitting the Inatek USB PCIe card and disabling the Asmedia controllers so just the CPU causing it now.

EDIT:

@DaftnDirect Cheers, will give that a go. Is there anyway that could cause conflicts in the future or is it pretty safe?

@mambo1888, sorry for the late response... no I'm not aware that changing that processor name in the registry causes any problems with any other processes or software. I haven't tested it for more then a few days though.

mambo1888
Rising Star

@mambo1888, sorry for the late response... no I'm not aware that changing that processor name in the registry causes any problems with any other processes or software. I haven't tested it for more then a few days though.

Thanks, I actually sold my DK2 and im not expecting my CV1 for another month so ive not been using home recently anyway but will give it a go when I start using home again once I get my CV1.

Percy1983
Superstar
It doesn't bother me but may run the batch file to kill it before I demo it so they don't think I got cheap with my PC.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

r00x
Adventurer
This thread is making me feel like my observational skills are pathetic; I barely even notice the message is there, let alone have the energy to complain about it on the Internet! 😛 

Just to make sure, are we all talking about the same thing here? That tiny, near-invisible message tucked away at the top of the Oculus Home window, nowhere near any interesting UI content and thus relegated to the fringes of my peripheral vision? That message, that I might have glanced at once, which for all intents and purposes has become effectively invisible since?

I 100% agree with the logic that it should be dismissable, but... meh.

Far more irritating is the stupid "try not to sprint into a wall/out a window/punch your wife in the face while enjoying VR" safety warning that you're forced to endure as if you have the memory of a goldfish and would otherwise trash your house if the message was ever skipped on launching a game. I deeply resent having to move my neck a couple of inches to glare at the dismissal text for two seconds, or god forbid, having to actually press a controller button, to skip that stupid message.

FX2K
Heroic Explorer

r00x said:

<snip>
Far more irritating is the stupid "try not to sprint into a wall/out a window/punch your wife in the face while enjoying VR" safety warning that you're forced to endure as if you have the memory of a goldfish and would otherwise trash your house if the message was ever skipped on launching a game. I deeply resent having to move my neck a couple of inches to glare at the dismissal text for two seconds, or god forbid, having to actually press a controller button, to skip that stupid message.
<snip>

I wouldn't mind that so much, if it only showed up the first time your headset is switched on.  But noooo... every time you open something it's the same old story, almost as bad as UAC on Windows Vista 😛

And totally unrelated but.. why oh why is the hour glass icon so damn huge and ugly.
CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May... DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014