cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift, The Rift, F**k**g Oculus Rift

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whatever you call it, the powers that be want you to call it "Rift", personally I see that as a bit of an uphill struggle ( Oculus does seem to like to make life difficult for itself though) or like King Canute trying to hold back the tide..

Does anybody, sensible, refer to the Rift as anything other than "the Rift" ?
44 REPLIES 44

Rayvolution
Heroic Explorer
Well, it is a Rift, so calling it anything other than a Rift is silly.

You don't call your XBox a "Microsoft", your PlayStation a "Sony" or your GTX980 a "NVIDIA". Same for the Rift. You can call it a Rift, an Oculus Rift, The Rift, whatever. But it's certainly not an "Oculus". Anyone not calling it a Rift should be corrected. 😛

Blyss4226
Rising Star
I think he's pointing out the difference between calling it "Rift" and "the Rift/ a Rift."

Compare:
"I really would like to see some RPGs for Rift"

vs

"I really would like to see some RPGs for the Rift"

I think that's what he's saying. And yeah, I've always wondered why Oculus refers to it as just Rift rather than the Rift.

I do ROFL at people who call it the Oculus though.

Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD

Rayvolution
Heroic Explorer

Blyss4226 said:

I think he's pointing out the difference between calling it "Rift" and "the Rift/ a Rift."

Compare:
"I really would like to see some RPGs for Rift"

vs

"I really would like to see some RPGs for the Rift"

I think that's what he's saying. And yeah, I've always wondered why Oculus refers to it as just Rift rather than the Rift.

I do ROFL at people who call it the Oculus though.

Ah, yeah, you're right. I think I misread it the first time. personally, I call it "a Rift", since it's a product called "Rift" so I own "A Rift". Although I would still say "I really would like to see some RPGs for the Rift", just as I would say "I really would like to see some RPGs for the PS4".

Blyss4226
Rising Star
Actually you just made me realize - often with consoles people DO refer to them this way.

"You hear about that new racing game? It's on PS4"

"Only on Xbox"

etc. Maybe that's where Oculus got the idea?
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD

Rayvolution
Heroic Explorer

Blyss4226 said:

Actually you just made me realize - often with consoles people DO refer to them this way.

"You hear about that new racing game? It's on PS4"

"Only on Xbox"

etc. Maybe that's where Oculus got the idea?

Hmm, perhaps you're right. I guess I go both ways depending on context. I would also say "Man, I can't wait to play Uncharted 4 on PS4" or "The Final Fantasy remake is coming out on PS4!". "on the PS4" seems awkward. But I would also quickly say "The PS4 is really lacking good third person RPGs now a days"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
This thread reminds me of a dialogue scene from the movie, Fight Club:

"Nine times out of ten it's an electric razor, but every once in a while...

it's a dildo. Of course it's company policy never to imply ownership in
the event of a dildo... always use the indefinite article 'a dildo',
never 'your dildo'"

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think I know what Oculus is trying to do, it is trying to convey the experience rather than the hardware but I still think it's all rather a pretentious up hill battle.

Blyss4226
Rising Star

I think I know what Oculus is trying to do, it is trying to convey the experience rather than the hardware but I still think it's all rather a pretentious up hill battle.

Seems plausible.

But yeah, I just call it the Rift.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Yes so many people including so called pro media journalists calling it the "Oculus". It's pathetic really and just shows that if they [media] can't even get the name right then why trust their opinions on anything. If we're going to get all technical then I suppose the "Oculus Rift" is correct.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.