cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Vive arrived this afternoon!

Anonymous
Not applicable
And, whilst I'd love to tell you all how amazeballs it is, the simple fact is that I haven't managed to get it set up yet!

Got home from work this afternoon. Frantically started to get it all put together. And found out I'd bought the wrong bloody display adaptor! So it's all sitting here ready to go, lighthouses connected without a hitch, wands charged up and ready, but can't actually use the thing.

Ordered the (hopefully) correct one from Amazon and it's arriving tomorrow. So maybe then I'll get to give it a blast 🙂 It's all set up and ready to go apart from that.

And yes, I know I should have probably posted this on a Vive thread, but thought you'd all enjoy a laugh at my stupidity!
64 REPLIES 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
Haven't bought any yet. But have downloaded virtually every demo on the steam store - plus the bundled games of course.

I do have Elite Dangerous, so will try that. I'll also have a go at getting the Oculus store stuff (Luckey's Tale, etc) to run at some point.

crim3
Expert Protege
Looking forward to your firsts impressions.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Well here's a few recommendations

Space Pirate Trainer
The Gallery Episode 1
Audioshield
Revive Injector (so you can play Oculus games)

I think you're going to be well busy.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Ryder35
Protege
One tip, before you run the setup update the firmware on the wands. I had an issue where the floor calibration button was not displaying, causing me to be 6 foot underground when the tutorial started. Updating the FW fixed it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well here's a few recommendations

Space Pirate Trainer
The Gallery Episode 1
Audioshield
Revive Injector (so you can play Oculus games)

I think you're going to be well busy.

I've got a very small play area,  so will be limited to sitting/standing stuff only, but yeah... plenty to choose from!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ryder35 said:

One tip, before you run the setup update the firmware on the wands. I had an issue where the floor calibration button was not displaying, causing me to be 6 foot underground when the tutorial started. Updating the FW fixed it.

Thanks. I'll bear that in mind. I've already gone through some of the setup stuff (got as far as the box at the bottom of the screen showing the status of the HMD, wands and lighthouses - all green except the Vive as its not properly connected), but haven't got any further.

Is there a menu option to update the firmware? Or do I download it? Am at work ATM, so can't check 🙂

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Right click the Steam VR tab in the overlay to go to settings then select devices then update firmware. It will then list all devices firmware status.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Awesome. Thanks!

mambo1888
Rising Star

notsram said:

My new cable is arriving today. So hopefully I'll be ready to go this evening. Everything else is set up. Was a doddle to install - lighthouses connected first time (without the sync cable) and wands paired up by themselves. I just haven't been able to test the headset yet. Hopefully just a matter of plugging the cable in and I'm away.

I'm off work on Thursday and Friday, so will have plenty of time to test it. Will try and post something in the Vive review thread.

Hey @notsram I caved in and bought an unopened Vive off another forum and hoping it arrives soon so looking to get as much set up as I can before it arrives. My GTX 980ti only has 1 HDMI output and I need to use that to get 4K 60Hz 444 to my TV/Monitor. What cable/adapter did you go for? Is it better to get a Mini Display Port to Display Port cable or a Mini DP to HDMI adapter?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a GTX 980. Cable I've ordered is below... fingers crossed this one works!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Z05JMKO/ref=pe_385721_131008271_TE_dp_1