cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stereoscopic Player (2D/3D image/video player)

pwimmer
Honored Guest
Hi!

I've added support for the Oculus Rift in Stereoscopic Player version 2.0.5. The current implementation allows to watch 2D and 3D images and videos on the Rift. Headtracking is not supported yet, I'll add it later when I have access to a Rift for testing. I had no chance to test this release on a real device, thus I would be happy to get some feedback, especially if you notice bugs.

To download the Stereoscopic Player, go to http://www.3dtv.at/Downloads. After the installation, run it and click View|Viewing Method|Oculus Rift. Next, load some 2D or 3D media file and click View|Full Screen Mode (Scaled). Although the player displays a distorted image in windowed mode, too, you will perceive a correct image in full screen mode only.

By default no pixels of the content are cropped. Unfortunately, this results in a large black border, especially with widescreen content. Press Ctrl+Alt+Enter to switch to the "non-fit" fullscreen mode that allows to set the zoom level with Alt+1, Alt+2, Alt+3 and so on.

Stereoscopic content is typically recorded with camera toe-in or the parallax is corrected in post. On the Rift such content would result in diverging eye axis and cause eyestrain. Consequently, the player compensates 2% positive parallax which is fine for most content. If your content exceeds 2% positive parallax you can use the left/right arrow keys to adjust the parallax.
64 REPLIES 64

Haggeman
Explorer
I really like this player, and I would like to buy it, but the one feature I can't find on it is the ability to delay or hasten the audio track if the video and audio fall out of sync. Is there an option to do this in this player? If not could this be added?

Bacon
Honored Guest
Fantastic stuff! Great 3D demo videos on the site.

I often have my Rift set as an extended monitor, so the [View > Full Screen Monitor > Monitor 2] option was amazing! Picked the movie on my computer monitor as usual, hit play, goggle in, enjoy. =D

Alt
Explorer
Very cool, works very well. I watched a first person sky diving video and the feeling of falling was very effective. Keep up the great work!

roculus99
Protege
That works surprisingly well, as long as I hold my head still. Add head tracking and take my money!

Wreck it Ralph 3D looked amazing (H-SBS MKV). 2D content was a bit less compelling and I had to watch more "zoomed out". I found myself wanting to track the actors with my head, which is a path to nausea at the moment.

I never thought I would use this device to watch movies, but this is actually really compelling. With a higher res screen and a head tracked player, I would probably sell my projector. There are movies I watch with my wife, and movies I watch by myself, I could see myself using this for the later... unless there was a multi-user mode? :idea:

Nice work. Your product has the best chance of being THE Rift Ready video player, since you are already a stereoscopic expert. Can't wait until you add head tracking!

Alt
Explorer
"rmcclelland" wrote:
That works surprisingly well, as long as I hold my head still. Add head tracking and take my money!

Wreck it Ralph 3D looked amazing (H-SBS MKV). 2D content was a bit less compelling and I had to watch more "zoomed out". I found myself wanting to track the actors with my head, which is a path to nausea at the moment.

I never thought I would use this device to watch movies, but this is actually really compelling. With a higher res screen and a head tracked player, I would probably sell my projector. There are movies I watch with my wife, and movies I watch by myself, I could see myself using this for the later... unless there was a multi-user mode? :idea:

Nice work. Your product has the best chance of being THE Rift Ready video player, since you are already a stereoscopic expert. Can't wait until you add head tracking!

I totally agree, out of the box support for watching 3D movies on the Rift is a huge plus. Perhaps I'm not getting it through, what would head tracking add for a video player? I mean, movies are hardly filmed with this in mind. Unless someone where to produce content (something like streetview) that would take advantage of head tracking, I don't really see the need.

Dycus
Honored Guest
"Alt" wrote:
I totally agree, out of the box support for watching 3D movies on the Rift is a huge plus. Perhaps I'm not getting it through, what would head tracking add for a video player? I mean, movies are hardly filmed with this in mind. Unless someone where to produce content (something like streetview) that would take advantage of head tracking, I don't really see the need.

You just need the head tracking so you don't get sick when you move your head around. It would basically be like you're in a movie theater and you could look around the screen.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any chance of support for panorama images from the iPhone 5 and photosphere equipped Android devices?

biolizard89
Honored Guest
If I have stereoscopic content which was recorded with 0 parallax, how do I precisely disable the correction that Stereoscopic Player applies while in Oculus Rift mode?

pwimmer
Honored Guest
"wblanchette" wrote:
Any chance of support for panorama images from the iPhone 5 and photosphere equipped Android devices?

How do these panorama images differ from normal images? Once headtracking is implemented these panoramas should work, too. Or did I miss anything?

pwimmer
Honored Guest
"biolizard89" wrote:
If I have stereoscopic content which was recorded with 0 parallax, how do I precisely disable the correction that Stereoscopic Player applies while in Oculus Rift mode?

The 2% correction is hardcoded at the moment. The parallax adjustment partially allows to un-do it, but the image is cropped a bit.