cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"The Climb" wont start on headset, gives error "Sorry you are having issues starting The Climb"

captaintrips
Explorer
Just purchased "The Climb" and it's the only app that's causing any issue... all other apps/games/oculus home open no problem.

Displays error in headset "Sorry we are having issues starting the climb. Please check your desktop for any menus, options or errors required to run the game". I've tried unistalling the game and reinstalling.

system specs: 

Intel 5960x 8-core
EVGA X99 FTW, latest bios
(2) Nvidia Titan X 12GB gpu's (SLI disabled for Oculus), latest NVidia drivers installed
64GB DDR4 ram
Windows 10 with latest updates

I've tried rebooting, uninstalling game, reinstalling, rebooting again, still same issue. Any work arounds?
23 REPLIES 23

captaintrips
Explorer
additional note:   though the headset displays that error, I can see the preview window of the game on the desktop monitor and it seems to be running fine, and detecting the face sensor of the rift (if I hold finger over sensor, preview window goes black, if I lift finger off sensor, I can see game and tracking working correctly on desktop monitor.

mambo1888
Rising Star
When you disable SLI are you using the same card for both monitor and the rift or a card for each? Not sure if it would make a difference either way but might be worth trying. 

jusbott
Expert Protege
I had this and just reset pc then it worked. Sorry I know that won't help you has you have already tried this also check your antivirus isn't blocking it has I read a few places that this could be a cause and fix for it.

captaintrips
Explorer
mambo:  thought of the same thing. I do leave SLI off so I can use hdmi ports on both cards (video ports do not work on second card if SLI is on, at least to my knowledge). On my top primary Titan X, (1) HDMI port is being used for my 4k LG monitor and (1) displayport used for my Vive.  On the bottom second Titan X GPU, only the (1) hdmi is being used for the Rift.

I actually unplugged my LG monitor and Vive, and plugged the rift into the HDMI on the 1st card (no other video connections to either card except for that) when testing, reset Oculus settings, rebooted PC... still same issue. I even reinstalled Nvidias latest driver  via clean install(released May 2nd), made sure SLI was off, no special configuration, rebooted, same problem.

It's strangest thing, because other than this specific game,  Rift/Oculus Home and all other games and apps work flawlessly. During setup, when it asked me to select what drive I wanted to install it to, I selected my game drive (d:), and I see all the game files installed under the Oculus software folder.

I thought maybe it was my Vive or Leap motion interfering with it, so I disabled all those services and unplugged them, but still same issue. Nothing else special or plugged in to cause any issues.

Literally just like the Rift doesn't detect the game to output to headest. Game launches fine and looks fine on desktop in rift preview screen, can see it tracking head movement and sensors. Also, all rift hardware has recent firmware.

Was going to ask on crytek KB forum, but they stated to inquire with Oculus support.

mambo1888
Rising Star
Not sure what it could be mate sorry. You dont have VorpX or similar running, I know that stops proper Rift games from loading if thats on (I guess you've not as you would have noticed it with other games)

captaintrips
Explorer

mambo1888 said:

Not sure what it could be mate sorry. You dont have VorpX or similar running, I know that stops proper Rift games from loading if thats on (I guess you've not as you would have noticed it with other games)

Yep, I've made sure any configuration (hardware or application, even down to firewall/av) that could interfere or cause issue has been eliminated or ruled out.

All UE4 games run perfect, no issue. All other Oculus Apps and stuff (eve valkyrie, luckys tale, farlands, video, Henry, Ocean Rift, Lost, dreamdeck, jaunt, etc etc). All fine.

Must be a issue with Cryengine and Oculus client somewhere. Hmmm. Will investigate further when I get home.

captaintrips
Explorer
@Cybereality (or anyone from Oculus support team)... anything you might be able to suggest? Any logs from diags that I might be able to copy to help determine what the issue might be?

Hanover
Rising Star
I get that message when a game takes more than a few seconds to start.  It happened to me with The Climb.  I just gave it about 30 seconds after receiving that message and it started anyways.  It ALWAYS does it on Elite Dangerous too.  Before removing your HMD, give it a few more seconds.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you provide these logs?
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-ri...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?