HTC Vive Reviews Thread - Page 13 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HTC Vive Reviews Thread

Comments

• VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    Great review Notsram Welcome to the fold :)
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,695 Valuable Player
    Awww like an excited puppy. Nice one. Yeh your choice for starting game seems a bit unorthodox but hey whatever floats your boat man. The Lab is a must first experience in my opinion so hurry up man and give that a shot, the Zombies can wait.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    This is somewhat embarassing to admit, but I started The Lab, couldn't work out how to get past the 'start' button and quit out!
  • SpineDocSpineDoc Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    The Brookhaven Experiment is pretty cool, it's the only game I've tried so far.  Will be able to try some more out tonight and tomorrow.  Room space and the hand controllers completely make or break VR in my personal opinion.  Actually standing there with a flashlight in one hand and a gun in the other, hearing a sound behind me, turning and seeing darkness, lifting the flashlight and lighting up a snarling zombie sprinting towards me, lifting the gun and aiming, shooting, missing, reloading, and just barely shooting its head off before it took a chomp out of me.  I just don't see how an xbox controller is going to cut the mustard on that experience.  Although I do definitely see applications that will work well, just  not that one.
    Wintermute
    edited May 2016
    notsram said:
    This is somewhat embarassing to admit, but I started The Lab, couldn't work out how to get past the 'start' button and quit out!
    Just touch "start" with your controller. Controller will turn yellow, then trigger.
    Wintermute
    Did I say the graphics on this thing aren't that good? I've just spent the last 10 minutes staring at the marine life in 'The Blu' and going 'wow'...
    Wintermute
    edited May 2016
    @VizionVR thanks! I'll give that a shot a bit later. Sure I tried something like that, but maybe I didn't do it properly.

Man, this thing is amazing. It's everything I hoped for. , I am going to have to eat humble pie and say that roomscale is not a gimmick. It's a big gameplay element. And unfortunately, I don't have the space for it. I keep hitting walls and stuff with my controllers, even in the 'standing' games.
    Wintermute
    SpineDoc said:
    The Brookhaven Experiment is pretty cool, it's the only game I've tried so far.  Will be able to try some more out tonight and tomorrow.  Room space and the hand controllers completely make or break VR in my personal opinion.  Actually standing there with a flashlight in one hand and a gun in the other, hearing a sound behind me, turning and seeing darkness, lifting the flashlight and lighting up a snarling zombie sprinting towards me, lifting the gun and aiming, shooting, missing, reloading, and just barely shooting its head off before it took a chomp out of me.  I just don't see how an xbox controller is going to cut the mustard on that experience.  Although I do definitely see applications that will work well, just  not that one.
    It's bloody fantastic, isn't it. Honestly, I've just been sitting/standing here with a huge grin on my face since I got it running!
    Wintermute
    Awww like an excited puppy. Nice one. Yeh your choice for starting game seems a bit unorthodox but hey whatever floats your boat man. The Lab is a must first experience in my opinion so hurry up man and give that a shot, the Zombies can wait.
    The surprising this is that I am excited. I've been waiting so long to try this and building it up in my head that I was a bit worried I was over-hyping it to myself and would be disappointed. Very happy to be able to report that I'm not!
    Wintermute
    Now that we're starting to get a good collection of Vive AND Rift forum members, I think it's time we have an Altspace VR gathering.
  • SickleFootSickleFoot Posts: 105
    I have my Vive too. Loving it.

I'm sure once Touch is out, the Rift will become just as amazing too.
    Wintermute
    @notsram how did you like the lab experiences? Those were my favorite when I first tried my Vive.

Nice review btw
    Just tried it. Seems awesome but I had some tracking issues whenever I looked left and down at a certain angle. If I hadn't been pretty much up against a wall I'd have fallen over. Going to try something seated now!
  • SpineDocSpineDoc Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    Anyone else notice the little things?  Like in The Brookhaven Experiment you can use your flashlight with your palm up, or you can flip it over and use it like a police officer might, maybe even crossing over your gun hand under it.  Yeah I watch too much TV, but just these little details really make the experience amazing.
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    I just can't wait for the first room-scale Star Wars themed game.  I have ZenBlade and the Katana is very well done, but it leaves me wishing I could use a light saber  >:)
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    edited May 2016
    When's that Starwars Experience - Trials on Tatooine coming out? Its all gone quiet you would of thought they would of released it yesterday being May the Forth.

Zenblades looks fun but its just too limited for me to spend £10.99 on.

DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.
  • DrOculusDrOculus Posts: 192
    notsram said:
    Man, this thing is amazing. It's everything I hoped for. , I am going to have to eat humble pie and say that roomscale is not a gimmick. It's a big gameplay element. And unfortunately, I don't have the space for it. I keep hitting walls and stuff with my controllers, even in the 'standing' games.
    It`s great to read you are made up with it mate, any way you could throw furniture out?
    Wintermute
    DrOculus said:
    notsram said:
    It`s great to read you are made up with it mate, any way you could throw furniture out?
    Well.... it's not exactly the way I'd have chosen, but me and the missus are splitting up, so I'll have the spare bedroom in a few months. Much, much bigger!
  • DrOculusDrOculus Posts: 192
    notsram sorry to hear about you and the missus mate, but on a positive note......get in there, more room for VR yehhaaa :)
    Wintermute
    SpineDoc said:
    Anyone else notice the little things?  Like in The Brookhaven Experiment you can use your flashlight with your palm up, or you can flip it over and use it like a police officer might, maybe even crossing over your gun hand under it.  Yeah I watch too much TV, but just these little details really make the experience amazing.
    Gun owner here. Played by using the flashlight hand to support weapon hand. It really helps with aim control and VR immersion. Can't wait for the real kick pistol peripherals to come out. Wish I could remember the name but they're coming.
  • tranceology3tranceology3 Posts: 804
    3Jane
    edited May 2016
    notsram said:
    @notsram how did you like the lab experiences? Those were my favorite when I first tried my Vive.

Nice review btw
    Just tried it. Seems awesome but I had some tracking issues whenever I looked left and down at a certain angle. If I hadn't been pretty much up against a wall I'd have fallen over. Going to try something seated now!
    Try out the Arcade game in the Lab (I forget the name), but that by far impressed a lot of my friends when we all played the Vive. It's just a whole new unique way to play a basic arcade shooter, and works insanely well in VR. Also you don't need much room for it, only standing. 
  • SickleFootSickleFoot Posts: 105
    edited May 2016
    @VizionVR
    That's what I did. The red laser upgrade really helps with those headshots too!

How many waves are in the demo?
    Wintermute
    DrOculus said:
    notsram sorry to hear about you and the missus mate, but on a positive note......get in there, more room for VR yehhaaa :)
    Yeah, shit happens. At least it's amicable!
  • godwispergodwisper Posts: 203
    Nexus 6
    yay...seems finally my Vive is with the local DHL so waiting to be delivered at work :D
    Wintermute
    godwisper said:
    yay...seems finally my Vive is with the local DHL so waiting to be delivered at work :D
    Fingers crossed they haven't messed up the address on your package. My place of work was missed off, so the driver didn't have a clue where to deliver it, once he'd found the street. Luckily, he had my mobile number, so gave me a call and we got it sorted out.
  • godwispergodwisper Posts: 203
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2016
    I bought mine off ebay so shipping address should be ok :) still waiting though sigh..,....but still need to work up to 1700

UPDATE: .Vive arrived, installed and enjoyed :) so happy with my purchase till now.. almost bought all vr games on steam lol. Unfortunately one of the wands had little power so tried only for 15 minutes.
    Wintermute
    This should be interesting. Just found out that a friend of mine (yes, I do have friends! Not everyone hates me for buying a Vive :p ) is dropping by tomorrow for a couple of hours. Just so happens that he has a Rift. He's not bringing it with him, unfortunately, but he's very keen to try the Vive. He's a big Oculus fanboy, so his opinion could be pretty interesting.
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    Resurrected just for Zenbane and Atmos73!|

It's the Vive Review Megathread!

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,384 Valuable Player
    So let's bring things up to speed...

So far:

1) Since the release of the PlayStation-VR, people like Shadowmask have sold their Vive.

2) HTC Vive released "Vive Pre" and has discussed a new HMD and controllers.

3) HTC Vive has won about 3 awards (Gadget of the Year, and 2 others)

4) More people are discussing the fact that Valve, not HTC, owns the patents on the Vive; where HTC is just a manufacturer.

5) Google launched Earth-VR which only works on the Vive right now (with future plans for other vendors soon)

That about cover it?
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    Vive's Gen 2 controllers look a lot like Touch, which means these two systems should remain compatible for the near future.  This should bring Vive back to rough parity with Oculus + Touch once they release.
    HTC has also announced a wireless solution but we'll have to wait and see if it delivers in terms of resolution and latency.  Very exciting if it works well.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,695 Valuable Player
    edited November 2016
    IMO. The wireless solution is only so good if you're ready to leap into roomscale wave shooter type games like Raw Data  of which there are plenty of those. These games can get tiring and old after so long though and not something to invest many hours in at a time. Seated or standing games or those which require less drastic movements like Audio shield the wire isn't an issue at all (I'm sure many will agree once they play with Touch).  

Bit cold to resurrect this thread though. You guys must be bored.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.