I just cancelled my Vive order — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I just cancelled my Vive order

CharlieHobbesCharlieHobbes Posts: 555
Neo
After being on the fence for a few days I've decided to cancel my Vive order.

I'll wait for Touch to come out and enjoy the Rift as is for now. 
If the system including Touch does not meet my requirements I can order Vive anyway. 

I was fortunate to have my Rift delivered with only a few weeks delay, so no bad start there.
The visuals are crisp and clear, no excessive red or bothering god rays (I wear glasses which may make me slightly more immune to those. 

I enjoy all kinds of VR content but am a longtime simulator player (cars/planes/spaceships) and even in it's current state without Touch the Rift ticks the boxes.

Buying a 750 pound headset just so I can have VR hands now instead of a few months from now just seems like a waste as I can't use 2 headsets at the same time. 

I think both products have their merits but Oculus had a messy launch and that's making people sour. 

For what it's worth if you have issues with your Rift, keep working with Customer Service, even though it takes time and is aggravating I'm sure in the end they want to get you sorted out. 

I genuinely feel sorry for most people that are as excited about VR as I am but have to wait. It's a bum deal. 

For next generation VR sets that come out, I will look at the properties of all available sets regardless of brand and pick the one that best suits my requirements (which may or may not include price) and go from there. 

Yes, I am a fanboy, a VR fanboy. 
feel free to add me on Oculus Home and hopefully when the functionality expands I'll be able to play and chat with some fellow VR enthousiasts.

Hang in there guys!

PS, don't give in to anger, anger leads to the dark side

Comments

• aimsoppaimsopp Posts: 54
    The dark side has cookies though...  may the 4th be with you..
  • neddycgoonneddycgoon Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    I was always in for a Rift still waiting for a few months yet but quite happy to do so.I dont have any issue with Oculus demoing the Rift at stores or selling a few here and there its all good.Considering the play space I have available to me the Rift with the Touch controllers will more than suffice for whatever game my space allows me to run so Vive never entered the equation for me really.
  • blue-steelblue-steel Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    Sorry to hear that.  My vive is fantastic and unlike oculus  they recommend room scale to developers while  Oculus is recommending standing 180 degree games with touch.

Touch as it stands now with just a second sensor wont do room scale well
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,692 Valuable Player
    Tsk, why not post this on the Vive forums.

/s.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    If you want a full VR experience in 2016 your hmd is the HTC Vive.
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,376 Valuable Player
    Keep the Vive if you want to Stand/Sit all day but still know that theoretically room scale is supposed to be better. Just look at all the fun Room Scale offers when you're not actually using it:

"Honestly, I've just been sitting/standing here with a huge grin on my face since I got it running!"

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/379516/#Comment_379516

Room-Scale VR: the best stationary experience since sleeping.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • CharlieHobbesCharlieHobbes Posts: 555
    Neo
    Zenbane said:
    Keep the Vive if you want to Stand/Sit all day but still know that theoretically room scale is supposed to be better. Just look at all the fun Room Scale offers when you're not actually using it:

"Honestly, I've just been sitting/standing here with a huge grin on my face since I got it running!"

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/379516/#Comment_379516

Room-Scale VR: the best stationary experience since sleeping.

As long as teleportation is still considered a movement method the only advantage the Vive offers is that it lets you womble around in a slightly larger area before you teleport.

Contrary to popular opinion I thought the HL2VR implementation was one of the best so far and that's what I personally would like to see more of in the future, and that does not require 16 by 16 feet roomscale tracking.

I'm jealous of the availability of the Vive wants but not their design or ergonomics.

I'll reserve judgment until after Touch comes out.

Completely agree. And apologies if my attempt at using satire to mock room-scale failed lol

Room-scale VR experiences last a whopping 30 minutes at best right now, after which Vive users turn their HTC device in to a sub-par Rift by standing/sitting for 3-4 times the length of time spent trying not to bump in to furniture and walls... before teleporting in-game anyway.

After the Touch comes out the Vive will be even less enticing.
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    I was firmly in the camp that roomscale was a gimmick (at this point, at least) until I got my Vive and used it.

It's not a gimmick. Yes, there are limitations right now, but being able to move around in a game adds so much to the feel of it. I don't have space for roomscale, barely the space for standing stuff, but believe me, I am desperate to find the space so I can take advantage of it.

The Vive wands are a lot better than I thought they'd be. They take a little getting used to (IMO - others have said they're incredilbly intuitive) but they're a game changer. Being able to reach out and 'touch' stuff, look down the barrel of a weapon that you're actually 'holding', bend down and pick something up, waving your 'hand' at something and seeing it react. Honestly, it's a revelation. Comfort breaks aside, I used my Vive for 8 hours straight last night. I didn't touch a keyboard, mouse or gamepad once.

Not trying to change anyones mind here :) Rift is a perfectly good choice. But without roomscale and proper controllers, it's second best atm, in my opinion at least
    Room-scale definitely makes people feel like a new evolutionary cycle has begun... for about 30 minutes. And then standard gaming traditions kick in where players just wanna veg out in a standing/sitting position as they become fully immersed.

Room-scale VR alone isn't much of an experience without dedicated software to make it truly worthwhile. Not to mention that unless you've turned a football field sized warehouse in to your room-scale VR; all if you've done is increase the length of time needed before resorting to hand-movement by mere seconds.

• rat8cheeserat8cheese Posts: 40
    Zen you speaking for everyone or yourself?   I just spent an hour and a half walking around my 8 x 8 room and loved it and didn't "want to veg out".  I have my monitor and Ps4 for that.  Some of us want unique experiences not the tradition stuff.  
    Just being in VR itself is a unique experience. The Rift does motion tracking just fine, I've walked around short distances playing games like Dreadhalls, Ethan Carter, and Farlands. Walking around even more isn't the thing making VR unique at all. Short films and 360 video all require standing/sitting. Post an update when you've spent over 100 hours in VR; let's see how much of your time is really spent traversing your room vs being immersed in a stationary position.
    Wintermute
    I fully agree that the software isn't there. Yet. But it's coming. The stuff that's available now is, to a large extent, little more than glorified tech demos. But there are already some good games out there. Have you played Audioshield? It's amazing. I played (standing up - would have moved around if I had more space) for a solid hour last night, and I would have played for longer, but my legs were getting tired. Well, that and I kept banging the controllers against the bedroom wall and waking up the missus :p
    hah well thanks for being honest about the fact that room-scale does bring about player fatigue much faster; on top of physical real-world object collision issues.

I've tried room scale and I know it's pretty damn fun; but as I've said before, it is best served as part of group experiences - much like outdoor Paintball.

And you are correct, @notsram: the software Industry has some catching up to do before room-scale is anything more than a short-term "high." And when the industry does finally catch up, the Rift will be right there to take full advantage :smiley: 
    Wintermute
    Zenbane said:
    hah well thanks for being honest about the fact that room-scale does bring about player fatigue much faster; on top of physical real-world object collision issues.

I've tried room scale and I know it's pretty damn fun; but as I've said before, it is best served as part of group experiences - much like outdoor Paintball.

And you are correct, @notsram: the software Industry has some catching up to do before room-scale is anything more than a short-term "high." And when the industry does finally catch up, the Rift will be right there to take full advantage :smiley: 
    In all fairness, I am nearly 50 :p And I did know there were going to be collision issues. The only room I have available at the moment is tiny.

I've only been using my Vive for a few hours so maybe the roomscale bug will wear off. but there are a hell of a lot of games coming out and it's my feeling that every time I start to get bored, there'll be something new to try.

I hope the Rift really is there to take advantage. It's vital for VR that Oculus sort their shit out ASAP. Get the pre-orders out and get Touch out too. The more HMDs there are out there (whoever they're made by) the more games will sell and the more developers will be prepared to invest in the future of VR
    The Rift has sensor tracking needed for room-scale; only they've decide to focus on other more important aspects of VR Immersion. When the time comes to truly invest in room-scale, the very components within the Rift that support room-scale will simply be upgraded. Which is good news; as opposed to hoping that the Rift one day adopts it entirely. The technology is already present :smile: 
  • CharlieHobbesCharlieHobbes Posts: 555
    Neo
    notsram said:
    I was firmly in the camp that roomscale was a gimmick (at this point, at least) until I got my Vive and used it.

It's not a gimmick. Yes, there are limitations right now, but being able to move around in a game adds so much to the feel of it. I don't have space for roomscale, barely the space for standing stuff, but believe me, I am desperate to find the space so I can take advantage of it.

The Vive wands are a lot better than I thought they'd be. They take a little getting used to (IMO - others have said they're incredilbly intuitive) but they're a game changer. Being able to reach out and 'touch' stuff, look down the barrel of a weapon that you're actually 'holding', bend down and pick something up, waving your 'hand' at something and seeing it react. Honestly, it's a revelation. Comfort breaks aside, I used my Vive for 8 hours straight last night. I didn't touch a keyboard, mouse or gamepad once.

Not trying to change anyones mind here :) Rift is a perfectly good choice. But without roomscale and proper controllers, it's second best atm, in my opinion at least

Here's the crux of the matter.

I don't deny that roomscale and proper controllers make a massive difference as compared to sitting/standing with an Xbox controller.

All I'm saying is I am happy to wait for Oculus to release theirs

• Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    Well I don't have room for room scale so its clearly out for me.

Now I have my rift I can make a more real assessment.

The games I have played where room scale could work are affected and ethan carter. In both cases it would be nice to take a few steps but in both cases it wouldn't get me far enough so I would have to go back to the thumb stick to get around. So with room scale I could take 3-4 steps and then use the thumbstick or I can do what I do now and just use the thumbstick.

Yes there is some games which will work well in room scale, 2 I want to play are job simulator and surgeon simulator. So now in both of these cases I will wait for touch (which I think will be a much better controller) and as per above will just use the thumbstick to get around the small play area, I agree it won't be quite as good but it won't kill the experience either.

So anyway I decided to get what I believe to be the better quality HMD/controllers rather than get lessor quality products so I can take a few unnecessary steps.

Of course this is my opinion based on my circumstances and I can see how others may want/love room scale.

On that front I don't see it as crazy to not get a Vive (in this case cancel) and just get a Rift.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • BloodletBloodlet Posts: 735
    3Jane
    My opinion of Roomscale and the wands was pretty much "pfft whatever..I love my cockpit games..no need for these."
    After watching some youtube vids of "Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand grenades" and "Raw Data". My opinion is now. "Dammit Oculus where are my touch controllers!!!!!!!"....and I don't even have my Rift yet :/