cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want To Buy An Oculus Rift At Best Buy Saturday? We Called The Stores… Don’t Bother!

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer
43 REPLIES 43

Sarlin
Adventurer

its both , these are diverted rifts that are taken from preorders and for what ? a few thousand at best in retail stores ? 

@blue-steel

This weeks orders stopped at about 7:14 in the US.. I bet the people with 7:15 orders wished they had gotten their pre-order instead of having other, later pre-order people or non-pre-order people get theirs Friday. LOL  I'm stuck in the middle with the fact that my "shipping" window opens on Friday so if I did play the retail lottery game and won, I could get stuck with 2 Rifts.

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer
Did I write anywhere on this thread that is Oculus fault? 😐
I wrote "LOL this is gold", meaning I found funny that also the retailers will have shortage.
Don't put in my mouth words I never said please.

I'll say it again - isn't it wonderful that Oculus are selling shedloads of VR HMDs.

Aren't we revelling in the success of VR and thanking that young lad Palmer Luckey for what he has done?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Hanover
Rising Star
Oculus did say they were going to be sending limited quantities (which makes sense considering the hardware in which you need to have to run it).  So whats the problem...?

Chewie71
Adventurer
Congratulations guys! By flooding the 48 Best Buys with inquiries and demo requests you unwittingly played right into Oculus' retail marketing plans. First, Oculus starved you by not giving you a Rift. Then Oculus outright USED YOU to build a false need at retail chains by sending you, their little sheep, in search of VR. My god, what suckers you are!

Hanover
Rising Star

Chewie71 said:

Congratulations guys! By flooding the 48 Best Buys with inquiries and demo requests you unwittingly played right into Oculus' retail marketing plans. First, Oculus starved you by not giving you a Rift. Then Oculus outright USED YOU to build a false need at retail chains by sending you, their little sheep, in search of VR. My god, what suckers you are!

No, a sucker would be believing all this stuff you just made up.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I've been saying this to the people complaining about retail getting Rifts ahead of pre-orders--it's a tiny number of Rifts. If you can manage to get one, good for you, but the idea that some soccer mom is going to wander into Best Buy and buy a Rift without knowing what it is is ludicrous. The few Rifts per store that will be available are already sold out, they'll never even make it onto the shelves.

Those few Rifts are a drop in the bucket compared to the numbers being shipped for pre-orders.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess I'm not nearly as upset now that we know how limited stock actually is 

GenetixStudio
Superstar
The nearest Best Buy from me is in Denver - which is about a 2 hour drive. I don't think any of the 48 stores getting Rifts will be there either. If they did, it would be a hell of a gamble and camp out. 

Some lucky (and dedicated) people will end up getting a Rift before me, although I was with most of you on Jan. 6th to order as soon as possible.

Not the end of the world, it does kind of suck - but as long as I still get mine by May 23rd - June 2nd I'll be happily immersed before the summer has fully started and will no longer care.

HiThere_
Superstar
All this hard earned negative press and resentment, for the sake of allowing a bunch of universally unpopular line cutters to order online from Best Buy instead of Oculus VR, long before the first potential Rift buyer can put a foot in a Best Buy retail shop for one...

How Oculus VR goes out of it's way to harm itself and it's partners, is beyond me.

Valve should consider flooding Best Buy with HTC Vives, so Best Buy retail buyers don't have to leave their shop empty handed and frustrated.