New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Just wanted to say thanks for the non-bitchy members of our community for keeping cool.

AnotherCrazyCanadianAnotherCrazyCanadian Posts: 321
Nexus 6
I'm seeing a lot of complaints about Rift delays, going to Vive, whining and complaining about anything and everything and I just wanted to say thanks to those that have been around since the beginning and are staying strong against the backdrop of this forums temporary downfall. All people ever do is complain these days and yes, while it's a bad situation it's not the end of the world and there's no need to be so overly dramatic. So I'm glad that the good users that don't make a big deal and stay civilized still stay around and keep this place worthwhile amidst all the overly dramatic chaos.
Facebook bought Instagram. How exactly did they ruin them?

Comments

• AnotherCrazyCanadianAnotherCrazyCanadian Posts: 321
    Nexus 6
    Oh and should a moderator feel the need to change the title due to possible language issues, I apologise and please feel free to or let me know.
  • TrilbyTrilby Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Unfortunately, Palmer and the entire Oculus crew pushed our expectations over the top.  Let's face it, pre-orders were to ship 3/28.  I'm still here patiently waiting... 
  • DelmarKaneDelmarKane Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    edited May 2016
    While I've done a tiny bit of venting (just frustrations, not real 'bitching') I'm still here and have been for...well...long ago.  Though I lurked 95% of the time, it was only until December when I realized I should probably make an account to make my pre-order process go smoothly, when I decided to make an account.

Delays happen, not that worried about it.  Hell, I would have already had my Rift were it not for some issues of my own.  While I REALLY wish they would just bill me when I tell them to, then send me the Rift when it comes in, to save time if any issues come up, that is my only real complaint.

Well, that and me having to keep the wife's excitement in check.  She didn't even know about it until a few days before the pre-order and she is more irritated than I am.  I suppose my patience comes from the fact, this is not my first rodeo with new tech.  I can probably count on one hand, how many truly new technologies did not have component shortages or shipping issues, or even billing issues, when they first started.

Funny thing, I wrote her an email from work on March 15th or so, telling her that there is probably going to be a delay and we won't get it until Late April or even Mid-May.  She now says I jinxed Oculus and tells her friends on Facebook that the delay is my fault cause I told her it would happen, weeks before.

Now, don't get me wrong, Oculus has done very little to reassure customers.  They NEED someone to do daily updates right now.  I know everyone at Oculus is working their ass off and they all are rushing around, trying to mitigate the damage.  Yes, they are doing it wrong, though I have almost zero doubt that the 'right' people know this is needed.  The problem is threefold:  Lawyers are involved, Facebook stock is tied in, and there is a lot of finger pointing going on.  

The first two, Oculus can do nothing about and therefore chooses to remain silent, aside from the random; poorly worded twitter response from a very clearly frustrated and stressed out Palmer.  The third, can be fixed but if it is anything like most other companies that do this, too many managers and not enough leaders.  

The managers just do what they are required to do and do not step up and take responsibility.  It takes more than a single leader, to run a company well.  You can always tell which companies have managers, in positions that are better suited to leaders as this very same problem occurs.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,074 Valuable Player
    edited May 2016
    The way I see it is this
    Oculus screwed up, we know they screwed up, the know they screwed up and they admitted as much!. They messed up on a number of areas but the point is this at some point you just have to accept it and move on, either by being patient or by cancelling your order and getting something else  Constantly moaning and complaining is just toxic for everyone.

Even then tho, some minor complaining is understandable and to be expected. The people I have no time or respect for are those who are clearly revelling in it... Bordering on enjoying continually posting hate trying to disrupt every thread.
    Sadly we do not have an ignore button.

Franky I can't believe the amount they [the mods] tolerate on this forum often from people who have no intention of getting a rift nd are just here to trash oculus and brag about how much better their product is.

Oh well.....

In the interests of openness my rift arrived on Tuesday but I would have felt exactly the same if not. It is what it is and they ARE doing their best.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • AnotherCrazyCanadianAnotherCrazyCanadian Posts: 321
    Nexus 6
    Let me add to the first post. I am NOT talking about people who are complaining in general, many people are being civil and aren't making a big deal out of it. That's totally justified and I think encouraged so Oculus can hear how Who I am talking about are first-time posters or new users that come on here just to sh*t post about how bad it is with the pre-order system, and how over the top and dramatic they go with it. It's like complaining at a restaurant where you have two people. One is the person who remains civil, can be upset, but doesn't make a big deal out of it but rightfuly will/should/could say something. The other is that one mother who blows up about a bad experience and yells "they will never be coming back (to which we all know they will be in 6 months)." Point being is that people are being overly dramatic and I hate that. You can complain but be civil about it. Oculus is at fault but we don't need a forum full of barbaric whiners that think they can post once and feel self-important about it.
  • Cmndr-HillCmndr-Hill Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    edited May 2016
    Opps

Art3mis
    edited May 2016

There are a small number who are trying to set this forum on fire, but there are many who come here to talk VR

edited, just becouse
  • greeneblitzgreeneblitz Posts: 126
    Art3mis
    One thing I've learned is that a large number of VR enthusiasts are made up of hyper, over sensitive drama queens, don't know why, but it just is.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Mine is coming in August .... but instead of whining I pour my energy into pretty pictures (and sketching ideas out for a VR game/experience Id like to build) ... so there ... 

I am hosting a contest on here at some point this month with a £100 prize, but Im afraid it is just going to get buried by disgruntled posts and angry people .... sigh

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    Indeed, it's a shame that all the positive stuff is drowning under a sea of negativity.

Here's my entry to @LZoltowski 's competition...so far I'm the only one! Might be the easiest ton I've ever made :p
    @RobHermans  not in cash :) .... too much legal leg work .. but in hardware
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

3Jane
    edited May 2016
    I knew that...still be the easiest ton...until @Rayvolution gets off his bum! :D 

EDIT: but I'm not doing it for the prize, you know that, right? As I said, I'm a rank amateur compared to some of the real artists around here, yourself included. I do it to support you and your good ideas.
    I do really like your entry tho ... clever fusion of OR and an upcoming product that just SCREAMS VR support.

3Jane
    Even the space theme was for you, darling! :pensive: 
    (and of course it's "The Great Rift", duh!)
  • dead4suredead4sure Posts: 263
    Nexus 6
    One thing I've learned is that a large number of VR enthusiasts are made up of hyper, over sensitive drama queens, don't know why, but it just is.
    I'm only guessing here, but I would say there's a good chance that a high number of VR enthusiasts are people that have some kind of psychological characteristic that makes real life less than fun. While in AltspaceVR last night, a group of us got talking. Out of 8/9-ish people it turned out that we all worked in IT in some form and we all had social interaction issues (to put it simply). A total coincidence perhaps, but I think we were all drawn to VR because it offers a more immersive type of escapism where we can experience things with others without fear of accidentally breaking social conventions.

I think VR is potentially more than a game to many people, so it's a tough wait. I also acknowledge that a great many people are quite impatient and demanding. I think people have forgotten that others create products that they then offer to us in return for money. Nobody is obliged to make anything but people take everything for granted and have a strange mindset that says consumers are here to be served. Consumerism has become a bit strange I think. 
    @Dead4sure I like that angle

• ZandilZandil Posts: 975
    3Jane
    I am cool....are you cool ?
  • Bucks11Bucks11 Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 2016
    Im delighted because when it comes to multiplayer in the rift eventually , it seems that all the childish impatient whinge bags have ended up switching to vive  :D :D :D
    Art3mis
    dead4sure said:
    I'm only guessing here, but I would say there's a good chance that a high number of VR enthusiasts are people that have some kind of psychological characteristic that makes real life less than fun. While in AltspaceVR last night, a group of us got talking. Out of 8/9-ish people it turned out that we all worked in IT in some form and we all had social interaction issues (to put it simply). A total coincidence perhaps, but I think we were all drawn to VR because it offers a more immersive type of escapism where we can experience things with others without fear of accidentally breaking social conventions.

I think VR is potentially more than a game to many people, so it's a tough wait. I also acknowledge that a great many people are quite impatient and demanding. I think people have forgotten that others create products that they then offer to us in return for money. Nobody is obliged to make anything but people take everything for granted and have a strange mindset that says consumers are here to be served. Consumerism has become a bit strange I think. 
    You have a good point. Looking at my own life, excapism is a big  draw for me.
  • RikkTheGaijinRikkTheGaijin Posts: 399
    Trinity
    On the other hand, I will bitch and whine as long as I please. So suck it up.
  • blue-steelblue-steel Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    Trilby said:
    Unfortunately, Palmer and the entire Oculus crew pushed our expectations over the top.  Let's face it, pre-orders were to ship 3/28.  I'm still here patiently waiting... 

yea over the top expectations on them making product and shipping it when they said they would.  Yea...
  • kuraikamikuraikami Posts: 98
    Hiro Protagonist

I couldn't care less about the delay. I can play all the CV1 games with the DK2, too. So if the CV1 will arrive at my doorstep, it will be a resolution and comfort upgrade. So until it's there I go the low res way.

Just hoping that the touch controllers wont be as late as the hmd.

• ChoronzonChoronzon Posts: 341
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2016
    'Oh isn't it terrible! Those nasty little trolls...I feel like crying ... '

If members can't handle robust discussion then perhaps they should join a knitting circle.

PS Urban Dictionary definition of a knitting circle: 'A lesbian orgy or a female version of a circle jerk.' I want to join a knitting circle.
    edited May 2016
    @GableRatchet ... yes conversation is great , even a heated one .. but name calling? insults? ... I left primary school a long time ago .. Im not here to listen to that kind of childish behaviour.  Id like to think I am in the company of intelligent, articulate adults who share the same passion?

Leave trolling to youtube and hormonal Taylor Swift fans ... honestly .. wtf

edit: Isn't that kind of a fantasy for most str8 men anyway? ... a strange insult.

• SyntheticSynthetic Posts: 704
    Trinity
    I dun care im here to get as many games and experiences working as I can
  • ChoronzonChoronzon Posts: 341
    Nexus 6
    @LZoltowski Honestly... wtf...
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player

@RikkTheGaijin I was really hoping your post in this thread was simply going to read "You're welcome"

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
    Art3mis
    edited May 2016
    Funny!  I thought trolls had thick skin.

Don't like criticism do they.