cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Home (SDK 1.3) and DK1

zoost
Explorer
I would like to receive some help and/or pointers from fellow DK1 owners as to how to get a DK1 to work with the new Oculus Home (SDK 1.3). I came as far as the Oculus Home application recognizing my DK1 as a HMD and recognizing my PS3 controller as a valid controller, but it is not allowing me to play because it want to detect a tracking sensor as well. Installing the apps also all wend fine.

Does anybody have got the DK1 to work with the new Oculus Home?
Is there a way to tell the Oculus Home to ignore the fact that there is no tracking device?

Please do not clutter this thread with remarks about buying the CV1 and/or DK2. I understand that that will be the better solution.
69 REPLIES 69

Mindweaver
Explorer
Oh and I just want to add that I played a lot of Vive games last night with my DK1 with my Leap motion attached to the front of it. I played "The Lab" and the "Budget Cuts Demo".. Now, I can start buying Vive games before my Vive arrives..

Maybe when Oculus figures out how Valve is able to let everyone use SteamVR I'll be able to use home before I get a CV1.. If I get a CV1 at this point.. I know Valve didn't create the plugin for Leap to work as Vive controllers, but the fact that I can't load up every Vive game and see it in my DK1 is pretty cool and not a black screen like I see in v1.3.x.

Oh just to show no hard feelings I hope Oculus makes a bunch of Money today!

jon
Heroic Explorer
@Mindweaver, @david3dwood -

Out of curiosity, can either of you cite an instance where an IT company supported 3-4 year old developmental/beta hardware on their consumer platform after a consumer product had been launched?

I'm not saying such an example doesn't exist, it's just that your disappointment with Oculus in this regard seems wholly unrealistic to me and I'm wondering if one of our expectations requires recalibration.

Mindweaver
Explorer

jon said:

Out of curiosity, can either of you cite an instance where an IT company supported 3-4 year old developmental/beta hardware on their consumer platform after a consumer product had been launched?

I'm not saying such an example doesn't exist, it's just that your disappointment with Oculus in this regard seems wholly unrealistic to me and I'm wondering if one of our expectations requires recalibration.

Jon, I think you're not seeing what I'm trying to say. I don't agree with keeping support for something for years, but at least support it while the consumer product isn't readily available. That's the biggest problem I have with this whole problem. If I could go out and buy a CV1 today or order one online today and get it with in a week. I wouldn't need for my DK1 to have support. I would be able to pack it up with a usb drive with all the demos that work with it.

That is my only frustration and I gather Oculus has more on their hands than to worry about dk1 users, but the fact that it works with everything the Vive has tells me that Oculus stripped support from 1.3. That to me is not productive. I've work in IT for 20+ years with the better part of that as an IT Manager/CIO. I have coded longer and still do. Thanks for asking Jon!

Jarom
Explorer
@jon 

jon said:

Sure, how about the Xbox360 controller or every usb keyboard and mouse ever made. Or how about something closer to home like monitors with VGA, DVI, or HDMI ports that are 5+ years old. All these are just devices with typical connections and they all still work so long as you can hook it up. That same mentality should be used when considering VR headsets. CV1 can be broken down into it's individual parts: monitor, headtracking, positional tracking/camera, and 3d sound. The headtracking obviously isn't outdated and the method to fetch those values is not incredibly difficult. There is no technical reason that their runtimes could not continue to support DK1 headtracking and treat it the same. The reason I suspect it is no longer supported is because they want to push DK1 users to upgrade to the consumer version- excuse me I said "upgrade". I mean switch over as there is no real discount or trade-in for the DK1 available. The only reason I'm still on DK1 is because of finances. I didn't buy a DK2 because I didn't have another $350 to spend on an enthusiast device. I definitely don't have $600, almost twice that amount, now. If I did it wouldn't be put towards a company that is devaluing functional products, but towards a company that is showing me that they care about the industry more than themselves because they know that if the industry does well, they do well. (That's Valve btw)

Mindweaver
Explorer

Jarom said:

@jon 

jon said:

Sure, how about the Xbox360 controller or every usb keyboard and mouse ever made. Or how about something closer to home like monitors with VGA, DVI, or HDMI ports that are 5+ years old. All these are just devices with typical connections and they all still work so long as you can hook it up. That same mentality should be used when considering VR headsets. CV1 can be broken down into it's individual parts: monitor, headtracking, positional tracking/camera, and 3d sound. The headtracking obviously isn't outdated and the method to fetch those values is not incredibly difficult. There is no technical reason that their runtimes could not continue to support DK1 headtracking and treat it the same. The reason I suspect it is no longer supported is because they want to push DK1 users to upgrade to the consumer version- excuse me I said "upgrade". I mean switch over as there is no real discount or trade-in for the DK1 available. The only reason I'm still on DK1 is because of finances. I didn't buy a DK2 because I didn't have another $350 to spend on an enthusiast device. I definitely don't have $600, almost twice that amount, now. If I did it wouldn't be put towards a company that is devaluing functional products, but towards a company that is showing me that they care about the industry more than themselves because they know that if the industry does well, they do well. (That's Valve btw)

Well said Jarom!

EDIT: One thing I'd like to add is that all the Vive stuff looks amazing to me in my dk1.

Mindweaver
Explorer
 If you are a dk1 user then pick up a Leap motion! I've attached my Leap motion to my dk1 and I can play most of the Vive games! and all of the Vive content that works look amazing. Just to be clear the dk1 works with all of the Vive demos (You just can't do anything without the controllers), but the SteamVR Leap driver is still in alpha stage and it's being updated regularly.

TheBlu looks stunning (I purchased on Steam)! It really pulls you in! The whale when it swats its tail at you made me jump back!.. lol You don't have to buy the whale demo it's free in "Werv Transport". I can't say oh you have to buy theblu.. simply because it's more of a demo that has 3 scenes, but to me the other 2 scenes were worth the 9.99. It's by far the best looking underwater VR thing I've seen.

The Lab looks really good! Also, Budget Cuts looks really good as well. I've only played the demo, but it looks amazing in my dk1. I plan to buy Space Pirate Trainer soon, because I'm hearing how well it works with Leap motion. I plan to extend the wires that go to the dk1 box, but as is it's not bad for standing in place turning around and really that's all you want to do without positional tracking.

I'm still kicking myself for listening to Palmer when he said not to buy a dk2.. I wasn't actively developing anything then, because the company I worked for burnt down and was a total lose.. I had to commute to our other sister company which was a 3.5 hour drive one way.... I stayed in a hotel for 265 days and driving back and forth home on the weekends. Now, I've relocated my family here and things are back to normal, but I'm stuck with my dk1 until CV1 is more available. I'm lucky to have this work around!

tldr: DK1 users buy a Leap motion to play Vive games using SteamVR Leap driver!

g0mo
Honored Guest
I can't believe there is no more support for DK1, I feel cheated! I'm working in a project with DK1 and Unreal but If I don't have support...how I'm going to keep working? My Oculus was working pretty well with 4.7 Unreal version, but now I'm using 4.11.2 and I cannot downgrade, I'm really pissed off. Please do something for us, because we want to keep developing with oculus.

konstantin_loze
Explorer
No worries, no one would have helped you even if you were on DK2. I just got this email from Oculus Support:
"While I appreciate all the troubleshooting you have gone through and
your commitment to get this working properly, we're not going to be able
to do much more for you.
Oculus Home was designed specifically for the consumer version of the Oculus Rift.
That means that, unfortunately, it will not work properly with the DK2 at all times.
As a result, we can't really help you figure out what is going on with this."
With all 0.8 content from Oculus Share now deleted by Oculus, the DK2 seems to slowly become a paperweight too...

KoningHosselaar
Honored Guest
the funny thing is that I cannot even run on runtime 0.8 lol.. Everytime I try to use runtime 0.8 it says something like can't access directdriver (amd) or something im not sure since im running 0.4.4 now. But newer apps running on 0.8 or higher... I cannot run them. Even tried to install oculus home. It just gets stuck on installing wow. Oculus wow. I paid alot for your project but aint getting anything back...

sentenza013
Honored Guest

If you are a dk1 user then pick up a Leap motion! I've attached my Leap motion to my dk1 and I can play most of the Vive games! and all of the Vive content that works look amazing. Just to be clear the dk1 works with all of the Vive demos (You just can't do anything without the controllers), but the SteamVR Leap driver is still in alpha stage and it's being updated regularly.

TheBlu looks stunning (I purchased on Steam)! It really pulls you in! The whale when it swats its tail at you made me jump back!.. lol You don't have to buy the whale demo it's free in "Werv Transport". I can't say oh you have to buy theblu.. simply because it's more of a demo that has 3 scenes, but to me the other 2 scenes were worth the 9.99. It's by far the best looking underwater VR thing I've seen.

The Lab looks really good! Also, Budget Cuts looks really good as well. I've only played the demo, but it looks amazing in my dk1. I plan to buy Space Pirate Trainer soon, because I'm hearing how well it works with Leap motion. I plan to extend the wires that go to the dk1 box, but as is it's not bad for standing in place turning around and really that's all you want to do without positional tracking.

I'm still kicking myself for listening to Palmer when he said not to buy a dk2.. I wasn't actively developing anything then, because the company I worked for burnt down and was a total lose.. I had to commute to our other sister company which was a 3.5 hour drive one way.... I stayed in a hotel for 265 days and driving back and forth home on the weekends. Now, I've relocated my family here and things are back to normal, but I'm stuck with my dk1 until CV1 is more available. I'm lucky to have this work around!

tldr: DK1 users buy a Leap motion to play Vive games using SteamVR Leap driver!

Hello Mindweaver, I've got a DK1 and I wonder if it was possible to play Vive games with a xbox360 controller ?
I've installed WEVR Transport, it works but i can't launch The Blu... I try every button on the controller but nothing works...

Thank you for your help !
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?