Want To Buy An Oculus Rift At Best Buy Saturday? We Called The Stores… Don’t Bother! — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Want To Buy An Oculus Rift At Best Buy Saturday? We Called The Stores… Don’t Bother!

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,384 Valuable Player
    It's a prediction for now based on low-level associates at a retail chain. That's not really gold, more copper at this point; silver at best.

Not to say that things won't really play out that way, but let's not count the chickens before they hatch with premature victory posts.

My personal experience with Best Buy involved their Customer Service personnel looking at me like I was mentally challenged when I tried to order my Oculus Bundle in-person. Yet 20 minutes online afterwards and I've had my Rift for a week now.

Poopoo rolls downhill so I wouldn't place the LOL bets on a sales associate just yet.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    edited May 2016
    The name of the poster is familiar... Brian "wanna be a moderator" Krassenstein? I have no reason to have any more faith in his words than any other random guy on the internet, sorry.

I have to say I hate all the rumour-mongering, and wish it would stop. Come back to me when you have some actual facts, please. :rage: 
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,992 Valuable Player
    edited May 2016
    so you bitch that retail are getting some rifts before all pre-orders are caught up on, and now you are taking the piss that actually the numbers retailers are getting is infact insanely limited?

come on..... 1 side of the fence or the other... This reminds me of some of the people I work with. They are the 1st to talk about people behind their back who take a sick day off with a cold, but equally if someone they are sitting next too is coughing and sneezing, they moan that they are spreading germs around.

In my totally uninformed opinion the chances are oculus had a contractual obligation to launch with retail, so it seems they have given them the minimum number practically possible so as to get the pre-orders out as best they can
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player

So are we mad that Oculus is sending massive quantities of Oculus Rifts to big-box stores ahead of pre-orders, or are we mad that these big-box stores are getting insignificant quantities and we won't be able to buy them.

I'm confused.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    edited May 2016
    It not surprise me to see one of those rifts on ebay soon, good job again guys.
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • flyingsaucersflyingsaucers Posts: 128
    I posted this link yesterday in a thread that you started.

I'm all for bashing Oculus' ineptitude right now, but let's not flood the forum with redundant links, eh?
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,992 Valuable Player
    Zoomie said:

So are we mad that Oculus is sending massive quantities of Oculus Rifts to big-box stores ahead of pre-orders, or are we mad that these big-box stores are getting insignificant quantities and we won't be able to buy them.

I'm confused.

indeed... quite so.   Dammed if they do, damned if they dont ;)  such is the way with some people.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • blue-steelblue-steel Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    its both , these are diverted rifts that are taken from preorders and for what ? a few thousand at best in retail stores ? 

• in6secondsin6seconds Posts: 405
    Nexus 6
    someone please link me to the 48 best buy locations url, ive been trying to google it with no chance
  • SarlinSarlin Posts: 182
    Art3mis
    its both , these are diverted rifts that are taken from preorders and for what ? a few thousand at best in retail stores ? 

@blue-steel

This weeks orders stopped at about 7:14 in the US.. I bet the people with 7:15 orders wished they had gotten their pre-order instead of having other, later pre-order people or non-pre-order people get theirs Friday. LOL  I'm stuck in the middle with the fact that my "shipping" window opens on Friday so if I did play the retail lottery game and won, I could get stuck with 2 Rifts.

• RikkTheGaijinRikkTheGaijin Posts: 399
    Trinity
    Did I write anywhere on this thread that is Oculus fault? :|
    I wrote "LOL this is gold", meaning I found funny that also the retailers will have shortage.
    Don't put in my mouth words I never said please.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,792 Valuable Player
    I'll say it again - isn't it wonderful that Oculus are selling shedloads of VR HMDs.

Aren't we revelling in the success of VR and thanking that young lad Palmer Luckey for what he has done?
  • HanoverHanover Posts: 549
    Neo
    Oculus did say they were going to be sending limited quantities (which makes sense considering the hardware in which you need to have to run it).  So whats the problem...?
  • Chewie71Chewie71 Posts: 142
    edited May 2016
    Congratulations guys! By flooding the 48 Best Buys with inquiries and demo requests you unwittingly played right into Oculus' retail marketing plans. First, Oculus starved you by not giving you a Rift. Then Oculus outright USED YOU to build a false need at retail chains by sending you, their little sheep, in search of VR. My god, what suckers you are!
  • HanoverHanover Posts: 549
    Neo
    edited May 2016
    Chewie71 said:
    Congratulations guys! By flooding the 48 Best Buys with inquiries and demo requests you unwittingly played right into Oculus' retail marketing plans. First, Oculus starved you by not giving you a Rift. Then Oculus outright USED YOU to build a false need at retail chains by sending you, their little sheep, in search of VR. My god, what suckers you are!
    No, a sucker would be believing all this stuff you just made up.

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,712 Volunteer Moderator
    I've been saying this to the people complaining about retail getting Rifts ahead of pre-orders--it's a tiny number of Rifts. If you can manage to get one, good for you, but the idea that some soccer mom is going to wander into Best Buy and buy a Rift without knowing what it is is ludicrous. The few Rifts per store that will be available are already sold out, they'll never even make it onto the shelves.

Those few Rifts are a drop in the bucket compared to the numbers being shipped for pre-orders.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • Nobbs66Nobbs66 Posts: 722 Poster of the Week
    I guess I'm not nearly as upset now that we know how limited stock actually is 
    i7 5820K @ 4.4ghz | R9 Fury Tri X @ 1150mhz | 16GB DDR4 2133mhz
  • GenetixStudioGenetixStudio Posts: 770
    3Jane
    The nearest Best Buy from me is in Denver - which is about a 2 hour drive. I don't think any of the 48 stores getting Rifts will be there either. If they did, it would be a hell of a gamble and camp out. 

Some lucky (and dedicated) people will end up getting a Rift before me, although I was with most of you on Jan. 6th to order as soon as possible.

Not the end of the world, it does kind of suck - but as long as I still get mine by May 23rd - June 2nd I'll be happily immersed before the summer has fully started and will no longer care.
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,276
    3Jane
    edited May 2016
    All this hard earned negative press and resentment, for the sake of allowing a bunch of universally unpopular line cutters to order online from Best Buy instead of Oculus VR, long before the first potential Rift buyer can put a foot in a Best Buy retail shop for one...

How Oculus VR goes out of it's way to harm itself and it's partners, is beyond me.

Valve should consider flooding Best Buy with HTC Vives, so Best Buy retail buyers don't have to leave their shop empty handed and frustrated.
  • nAV2016nAV2016 Posts: 516
    Trinity
    I have to say..people on ebay are making a killing selling there rifts CV1..its like gold dust and oculus is raising this demand. How the hell can people pre-order a rift and it is allowed that someone can simply walk into a retail shop and purchase the thing out right and oculus, allow this?
    This is definately very wrong and is almost a good enough reason to cancel my pre-order. There is no customer support via phone just blasted email where generic emails are sent..I am p*ssed to say the least. We should setup a pertition and send it to oculus so they take so more seriously!

what do u guys think?
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    andyring said:
    I'll say it again - isn't it wonderful that Oculus are selling shedloads of VR HMDs.

Aren't we revelling in the success of VR and thanking that young lad Palmer Luckey for what he has done?
    I agree with you that we owe Palmer a big vote of thanks and he has done an amazing job of making VR happen... he had the right idea at the right time, and he was lucky enough that people listened and agreed with him and he created Oculus and, as much as we all are annoyed at the delays and lack of communication, this isn't directly Palmer's fault. 

Having said that, one of the older more experienced people around him should have said "no, you need a proper PR department to manage communications, because you're not even 30 yet", and "no, you need someone who's experienced with logistics right from the beginning, and you need to listen to them". doesn't seem like anyone said these things, either at all, or with enough force behind it to make it happen.

+10 points for having the idea to combine all the various tech that existed to create the rift, -10 points for not listening to the people around you (or for those people to not have said this) when they said "lets do this the right way, and get people who know what the hell they are doing"... either way someone screwed up.. 

I do think someone should break his twitter thumbs though, the guy needs to stop being a 23yr old defending his dream from all the trolls out here (and I'll admit I've been poking the pile as much as others so I'm not casting blame here). hell, there's a LOT of evidence out there now that frontal lobe development and the ability to map actions to their consequences doesn't form properly in males until they're in their 30's.
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
    edited May 2016
    Did I write anywhere on this thread that is Oculus fault? :|
    I wrote "LOL this is gold", meaning I found funny that also the retailers will have shortage.
    Don't put in my mouth words I never said please.
    With all the poopoo spam you're holding in there, I don't think there's room for words to be put in your mouth.
    Trinity
    Zenbane said:
    Will all the poopoo spam you're holding in there, I don't think there's room for words to be put in your mouth.
    At least I spam news about Oculus, in the appropriate forum, not like you spamming news about Vive that nobody cares. 
    Zenbane said:
    Will all the poopoo spam you're holding in there, I don't think there's room for words to be put in your mouth.
    At least I spam news about Oculus, in the appropriate forum, not like you spamming news about Vive that nobody cares. 
    The "HTC Vive Reviews Thread" is 13 pages long now:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/380419

And just a quick grab from the top list of searching for Vive on this forum:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/380435
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/380493

I posted one single Vive thread about defects, and you say that I'm spamming about Vive... which proves that your reading ability is limited to copy n paste of headlines geared solely towards trolling.

• Speedy-JohnnyE-Speedy-JohnnyE- Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Its a joke ??? Sold out and high price offers ..
    Trinity
    Its a joke ??? Sold out and high price offers ..
    No joke, those are private vendors on Amazon. They can price it as much as they want.
    So who's preparing for 9AM PST?
    did amazon have like one while microsoft had none?
  • sabyyysabyyy Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    Isn't it 9:10 am PST now?
    yeah, they sold out and never updated the page for me.