cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just not clear enough

rgovender
Sightseer
Hi all,

Just got my cv1. I've got one major problem. It's not clear enough for me, it feels like everything is a little blurry. I calibrated by looking at the green cross. Should I see solid lines across? I see almost dotted lines I.e. very pixilated. In the Hollodeck tiny town demo, it appears to be out of focus. I kneel in to look but it's not sharp. My eyes start to feel the strain after like 10mins. Please help.
12 REPLIES 12

Percy1983
Superstar
Have you tried moving the headset up and down, this should get the focus right.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
Did you happen to try either of the development kits, or is this your first head mounted display experience?  

Due to the distance from lens to screen, there will always be a bit of pixelation.  Like Percy mentioned, you need to be in the sweet spot of the lens to get the best view, but there will always be a little bit of blur.  It will never be as clear as your monitor for instance.  There is some give and take when you use a head mounted display.  
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

rgovender
Sightseer
Yep been moving up and down. I have tried DK2 but for a few minutes and a long time ago. the problem I have is because everyone's eyes are different. how do you know what you are seeing is caused by your eyes or the device? Something like the green cross, I wish oculus can show us a picture of what they recommend it should look like. I'm almost a VR virgin and is struggling to figure out the if I hit the limit of clarity with the CV1. Thanks for responding.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
First I would try to get the green plus just as clear as you possibly can.  Since the IPD adjustment is so readily available, it should be fairly easy to discern the best spot for it just by starting with the IPD maxed and adjust until you get the best possible image.  Maybe even go past the point you think it is good so you can see what a smaller IPD would look like.  I ended up being a 66 on both the Vive and the Rift, so I am pretty sure I got it set optimally.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

Anonymous
Not applicable
I must have an awesome IPD ~ because 90% of that adjust IPD scale works for me xD has anyone notice you get just a bit more FOV from the right side?

Going off the plus never work for me ~ I always just adjust in the home screen then redo it in the settings. While in the home screen, I look for the bear in the background and adjust till it look good. So far that has work for everyone I have let use the device.

cybereality
Grand Champion
People should not expect the look of Rift to be the quality of a 1080P monitor or phone. Although technically there are more pixels than a 1080P monitor, those same pixels are stretched over an area that could be around 4 times the size. So the image quality will be somewhat diminished. Adjusting the headset can get a better view, especially up and down, though it still won't match a monitor.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

oOunknownuserOo
Expert Protege

People should not expect the look of Rift to be the quality of a 1080P monitor or phone. Although technically there are more pixels than a 1080P monitor, those same pixels are stretched over an area that could be around 4 times the size. So the image quality will be somewhat diminished. Adjusting the headset can get a better view, especially up and down, though it still won't match a monitor.

We should get the quality of a 1080p monitor when we have headsets that have 8k resoultion.

john35967
Honored Guest
I HAVE GEAR S7 VR AND ITS A LOT CLEARER THAN CV1 I WAS REALLY LET DOWN
THEY HAVE A LOT MORE COOL STUFF ON CV1 BUT THE VISION IS REALLY DISAPPOINTMENT
WHAT ABOUT STEAM HEADSET

falken76
Expert Consultant

john35967 said:

I HAVE GEAR S7 VR AND ITS A LOT CLEARER THAN CV1 I WAS REALLY LET DOWN
THEY HAVE A LOT MORE COOL STUFF ON CV1 BUT THE VISION IS REALLY DISAPPOINTMENT
WHAT ABOUT STEAM HEADSET

Steam headset will be very similar to rift.  Phones are using high quality screens.  They just have no horsepower in comparison.  If the game is good you don't even notice, everyone puts too much stock in graphics vs content these days.