Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1 Column of Green Pixels - Issues with replacement

kiefd
Explorer

So for the last week and a half, the left eye on my CV1 has
had a column of stuck green pixels.  Worked
fine for the 4 days I had it previous to that.  
Nothing seems to have triggered it.  
I just put the headset on one morning and it was there).  Here’s an example:

qujjckpficpb.jpg

Apologies for the bad iphone photography, It's a lot more vivid in person.

On the rare occasion, it flickers in and out, or shifts to a
dark grey / red.  It has disappeared
completely twice, only to come back after about half an hour of play.  This all happens at random, and seemingly not
in connection to any of the troubleshooting steps I’ve taken:

-Run Full Setup again

-Reinstall Oculus Home

-Reinstall latest Nvidia Drivers (clean)

-Update USB drivers

-Tried every combination of usb port

-Reseat HDMI cable (both headset and gpu ends)

-Use passive DVI to HDMI Adapter

-Use passive Displayport to HDMI Adapter

-20 min to 1 hour sessions of watching this stuck pixel
video: https://youtu.be/ZjdrMuKpaCI
(via Virtual Desktop)

-20 min sessions watching Jscreenfix (via Virtual Desktop

-Tried with another PC (below spec)

I know a few others have had issues in the same ballpark as
this.  Anyone found a solution or can
recommend any other troubleshooting steps?

I have contacted support. 
I’m trying not to be too negative about the situation as I understand
they’re swamped and I’m sure everyone as an individual is trying their hardest
over there.  But other than an initial “thanks
for contacting us” response and someone asking if I’ve tried reseating the hdmi
cable, I haven’t heard anything in over a week. 
In the meantime, I’ve updated them with my troubleshooting attempts and
requested an RMA.  It really feels like
it must be a problem with the headset at this point.

I’m somewhat new to VR (only tried cardboard
previously).  The first few days with the
Oculus we’re truly amazing.  Since the
problem occurred though, I’ve only used it for troubleshooting as the green
column is immersion breaking and I don’t want to ruin any experiences by playing
through it.  I’ve been looking forward to
demoing it for others but haven’t cause I don’t want them to experience VR for
the first time in this way.   Really
disappointed.

43 REPLIES 43

GenetixStudio
Superstar
I feel for you - that sucks. I remember back in the day the old PSP's would end up getting a lot of 'dead' or stuck pixels - back then people created a simple solution that could fix them. It was a full screen animation that cycled through red, green, yellow, etc. colors extremely fast - Not sure exactly how it worked but it did the job. Maybe you can run virtual desktop or go to youtube (not sure if the Rift can access any you tube videos?) or make your own video like that and see if it works - google 'fix dead pixel video' perhaps? If that doesn't work I think you'll have to have it replaced (that sucks!). Posting here also to bump this - get this man a working Rift!

kiefd
Explorer
Thanks!  Yeah, I've tried a few of those flashing color videos with Virtual Desktop.  No luck so far.

SkateZilla
Expert Protege
This is usually a issue with the OLED Panel or Ribbon Cable, I'd be Trying to get an RMA.

kiefd
Explorer
Haven't heard anything from support in 17 days / 13 business days.   I've kept them updated with everything I've tried to fix the problem and requested an RMA.   Getting frustrated with the silent treatment.  

The line doesn't flicker at all anymore.  Seems to be there for good.  Installed an Inateck USB 3.0 PCIE card even though I doubt USB was ever the problem.  No change.

kiefd
Explorer
Update:  Finally heard back from Support.  They are going to send me their software tool to analyze the green line.

Zuh
Adventurer
Hi, have the software help?

blanes
Rising Star
That is an extremely poor show on the part of Oculus, to just leave you hanging for 13 business days is not acceptable. I gotta say that reading of quite a few defects & failures here on the forums does not fill me with much confidence. Never had a single problem with my Dk2 and rarely were there such terminal issues as appear to be afflicting CV1. I do really hope Oculus get their act sorted out pronto. Does also sound like they have not employed enough people to cope with all this either.

But anyway, any good news on getting your Rift working properly 100% or replaced ? We should no longer be beta testers for this hardware - that was Dk2 or is this really Dk3 !?

Zuh
Adventurer
I have submitted my ticket 3 days ago.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/35781/update-strange-problem-with-left-screen-i-am-ad...

So far I only know that I not suppose to use rift for now. I really hope that I will not have to wait week or two for some solution 😕

kiefd
Explorer
It took another business day for them to send me the software tool.  Got it on Friday.  It's the same SPUD tool that's been going around to people dealing with Red Haze.  In fact, the instructions told me to "Check if the reddish
lighting you perceived previously is better, worse, or the same. Please report
this back to us via email".  I realize the instructions were likely just copy and pasted, but I've never had a problem with Red Haze and this just further adds to feeling of not being listened to.

Anyways, it didn't do anything to fix my column of stuck pixels.  I fairness to them, they said it was a diagnostics tool, so I didn't really expect it to solve anything.  Hopefully they have the data they need to figure out what's wrong now.  Waiting again to hear back from them...