cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Circular Polarized Lenses - God Rays no longer.

oOunknownuserOo
Expert Protege
So for sh*ts and giggles I decided to place a couple of my drones circular polarized lenses over the CV1 and night and day difference,  the god rays disappeared.

I tried a couple filters ND8/CP

and graduated ND16-8

The only thing with circular polarized lenses is that as you turn them you either have more light enter in, or you cut more out.    

These filters are godsend when shooting aerial photography with drones and you have sun flare,  

question is how could we mount them??
62 REPLIES 62

Syrellaris
Rising Star
Generally these type of filters used for camera's are screw in filters. Meaning you would have to attach a screw in mount in front of the lenses.

Greenfire32
Heroic Explorer
perhaps you could send VR Lens Lab an email. I know they're working on prescription lens mounts for the Rift, and I don't see why they couldn't adapt for something like this.

You'd probably have to pay extra of course since it's not something they're actively looking into, but it's worth a shot

oOunknownuserOo
Expert Protege

Generally these type of filters used for camera's are screw in filters. Meaning you would have to attach a screw in mount in front of the lenses.

Yes, they either come as screw in, or clip / push on.

However, obviously this is where we would need to modify how these would mount.  

I am wondering if something 3d printed that could slip inside the CV1 mask.

Syrellaris
Rising Star
Would that mount alone not create new issues, like distance of your eyes from the Lenses? Seems like something that also would only work if someone does not wear glasses as a mount like that would reduce space for glasses as well.

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
That doesn't make any sense at all - are you sure you aren't just losing a lot of saturation from the image or something, so you can't notice them? I mean, the god rays aren't lights shining out at your eyes like a bright light that another lens could cancel, they are bright colors shining sideways from one ring to the next on top of the image below, making it so that the colors beneath have that color added to them. Thus you can't fix them by placing a lens in front of the existing lenses.

oOunknownuserOo
Expert Protege

Would that mount alone not create new issues, like distance of your eyes from the Lenses? Seems like something that also would only work if someone does not wear glasses as a mount like that would reduce space for glasses as well.

I wear glasses and tried it putting the filter in front of it.  It worked like a charm,  but I was holding it of course.  

I closed one eye, and alternated and night and day difference.

Of course my filters are probably overkill, as everything darkened somewhat.   There are different levels of filters.

Ricktor_Black
Adventurer
Yeah, it sounds like what these guys are working on would be perfect for this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/451454651/vr-lens-lab-glasses-for-virtual-reality-headsets

Instead of prescription lenses you could put specially cut filters in.  I actually backed this Kickstarter because I don't want to wear my glasses in the Rift.

oOunknownuserOo
Expert Protege

That doesn't make any sense at all - are you sure you aren't just losing a lot of saturation from the image or something, so you can't notice them? I mean, the god rays aren't lights shining out at your eyes like a bright light that another lens could cancel, they are bright colors shining sideways from one ring to the next on top of the image below, making it so that the colors beneath have that color added to them. Thus you can't fix them by placing a lens in front of the existing lenses.

Not sure to be honest.   There is such a slight ray I would consider it a non issue.

I also have polarized magnetic clip on for my prescription glasses which gives a different effect.   The drone circularized seem to really filter everything out as you can turn them to the degree you want.

At any rate - I tried playing ED and all those dash rays seem to be gone or minimized to a great extent.

I tried putting a movie on,  totally comfortable. 

Sarlin
Adventurer

@oOunknownuserOo are you sure that it's the lenses and not that they increased the focal length?  Just curious as you said things looked better when you were a bit further away.  I think it's very interesting that the "god rays" are able to be filtered via polarized lenses.  Sorta makes sense but would not have thought of it.  Good thought!