New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Will HTC survive long enough to make Vive 2 ??

christopherbarnhousechristopherbarnhouse Posts: 263
Nexus 6
Another quarter of losses, $148 million this time. 4th straight quarter of > $100 mill loss.
http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/09/htc-q1-2016-financial-results/

Comments

• KayosKayos Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    Ouch
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    edited May 2016
    It's not losses, it's less profits. They earned $60 million in profit this last quarter. So yes, they will survive, they aren't losing money yet.

http://bgr.com/2016/05/09/htc-earnings-report-q1-2016/
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,529 Valuable Player
    Being the 2nd place competitor I'm sure they will do just fine. And we will likely see an extremely long rivalry with shifts, similar to Apple vs Microsoft. Not to mention all the support that Oculus gives them by allowing Vivers to reside here  ;-)
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • agenttoffagenttoff Posts: 325
    Trinity
    @Zenbane Do you ever stop?
    agenttoff said:
    @Zenbane Do you ever stop?
    Please stop personally attacking me and stick to the topic  o:)
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    Oculus say they don't make any profit from the Rift so guess they are breaking even on hardware sales. They only make money from game sales and a lot of Rift owners buy from Steam. Then retailers are going to take a 30% chunk off Oculus profits from every Rift sale. So are Oculus making any money at this point?

Big question will we see another Rift CV2? Obvious we will because big daddy facebucks has money to burn lol.
    DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.
    edited May 2016
    If you try to buy Stock options for Oculus you are directed to Facebook Stock  B)
  • blue-steelblue-steel Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    Another quarter of losses, $148 million this time. 4th straight quarter of > $100 mill loss.

Sony lost money for years before eeking out a profit.  HTC has plenty of time to live esp if  the vive continues to sell well.
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:
    Being the 2nd place competitor I'm sure they will do just fine. And we will likely see an extremely long rivalry with shifts, similar to Apple vs Microsoft. Not to mention all the support that Oculus gives them by allowing Vivers to reside here  ;-)

Yea I can get behind your rankings

Sony  in first place
    HTC in Second place
    Some one else in third place

Oculus closed up and never heard from again.

I completely agree with that
  • christopherbarnhousechristopherbarnhouse Posts: 263
    Nexus 6

Sony lost money for years before eeking out a profit.  HTC has plenty of time to live esp if  the vive continues to sell well.
    We don't know how well its selling or what the profit margin on it is. Plus profit sharing with Valve I assume.
    Art3mis
    I'm sure we will no shortly. These numbers are before the vive hit. 
  • CharlieHobbesCharlieHobbes Posts: 555
    Neo
    Oh the drama, 

Obviously Oculus will close it's doors before they ever release Oculus CV2
    Now HTC will go bankrupt before Vive2

Are we all super excited for Cardboard2 then?

As HTC has been struggling on the phone market for some time now, I would expect them to find a new product on a market where competition is at least less fierce. 
    VR could be it. 

And yeah, I fully expect to see a CV2.
  • GenetixStudioGenetixStudio Posts: 770
    3Jane
    edited May 2016
    Sounds like the there could be roughly 50,000 Vives out in the wild right now - based on some research and SteamSPY unique downloads of apps such as Tilt brush and fantastic contraption. They are doing well, and may be one of the first players into an entirely new and huge market with VR.
  • ennogsennogs Posts: 230
    Art3mis
    edited May 2016
    Atmos73 said:
    Oculus say they don't make any profit from the Rift so guess they are breaking even on hardware sales. They only make money from game sales and a lot of Rift owners buy from Steam. Then retailers are going to take a 30% chunk off Oculus profits from every Rift sale. So are Oculus making any money at this point?

Big question will we see another Rift CV2? Obvious we will because big daddy facebucks has money to burn lol.
    I cannot see that oculus are not making any money on the rift hardware.  They are selling the rift in shops for the same price as pre-orders. The shops must be making profit on selling the rift. Also unless the touch controllers are well below $200 then the cost of the rift with touch controllers is the same cost as the vive.  HTC are not claiming they are not making a profit on the hardware. 
  • jrs69jrs69 Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    edited May 2016
    Google Cardboard 2 is hot! I really think they got it!

• Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    ennogs said:
    Atmos73 said:

I cannot see that oculus are not making any money on the rift hardware.  They are selling the rift in shops for the same price as pre-orders. The shops must be making profit on selling the rift. Also unless the touch controllers are well below $200 then the cost of the rift with touch controllers is the same cost as the vive.  HTC are not claiming they are not making a profit on the hardware. 
    Palmer said himself they're not making money on the CV1. I don't believe him either.
    DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.
  • CharlieHobbesCharlieHobbes Posts: 555
    Neo
    Atmos73 said:
    ennogs said:
    Atmos73 said:

Palmer said himself they're not making money on the CV1. I don't believe him either.
    Well, I guess if you count for recouping R&D costs you could say they're not making money on the HMD sales. 
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    Or the custom Fresnel lenses, custom parts, cloth design, and integrated DAC and headphones really did cost more than the off the shelf parts on the Vive.  I'm not arguing the merits of the design, simply that it may well have cost more to produce even considering economy of scale.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    jrs69 said:
    Google Cardboard 2 is hot! I really think they got it!

Lol... ..... a bit bitter google glass didn't quite pan out? 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)