cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vive owners waiting for Rift

rat8cheese
Protege
Are you keeping your Rift preorder?  I am a day 1 Rift preorder and was going to try both and sell the lesser of the 2.  I've had my Vive a few days now...and its freaking amazing and I love it.  Would you guys keep the Rift in my position?   $300-$400 markup on EBay which isn't earth shattering so perhaps not even worth the trouble.

Please only chime in if you own Vive and also Rift.  
30 REPLIES 30

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
@Greyman no worries!  I hope you get it soon!  

I didn't even realize SteamVR had a built in virtual desktop for at least the first week LOL. Like "what does this desktop button do?"  DERP!   hahahah
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

SD-777
Protege

Are you keeping your Rift preorder?  I am a day 1 Rift preorder and was going to try both and sell the lesser of the 2.  I've had my Vive a few days now...and its freaking amazing and I love it.  Would you guys keep the Rift in my position?   $300-$400 markup on EBay which isn't earth shattering so perhaps not even worth the trouble.

Please only chime in if you own Vive and also Rift.  

I'm keeping mine, haven't' decided yet though long term.  I get the feeling that long term the Rift will be better, especially once the touch controllers are out.   But room space is so freaking incredible, and I have doubts that Oculus will implement it properly, if at all.  I'm really torn so am just waiting git out, my Rift doesn't ship until mid June anyway.

Nimravus
Explorer
I have had my Vive for a little over a week now. I also ordered the Rift in the 7th minute of the pre order and currently am slated for delivery this week.....I hope it shows up. 

I have played at least a few hours in each of the following titles:

The Lab
Audio Shield
AltSpace VR
Job Simulator
The Blue (under an hour)
Out of Ammo
Budget Cuts
Space Pirate Trainer

I am on this forum a lot because it isn't blocked at work like Reddit and if I were to believe everything @ZenBane says on literally every single Vive post then Ive made a huge mistake and the Rift is better in every way. Thankfully Ive had some quality time with the Vive so I can ignore his posts, I highly suggest others do the same.

I have no reason to be a "fan boy" of either system, I think they both have their strengths and weaknesses, sadly I imagine it will take a lot of people using both systems to see which one fits best for them. 

That being said I can not see myself keeping the Rift over the Vive unless the screen quality is FAR better than the Vive. I have the space to take advantage of the Vive so room scale is a big factor for me. Some of the supposed "cons" to the Vive that have been brought up are straight up ridiculous....

1. Room Scale is amazing fun! Anyone that says otherwise hasn't played Budget Cuts OR is so out of shape that they find the "task" of standing and moving around just too hard. And that game is in Alpha still...  The fact that the Vive has a 360 degree culture is great, I mean it can do seated and and standing just as well too...Why not embrace the fact that it is also geared towards 360? 

2. The setup. Seriously its not bad, granted you need the space to make it work but you knew that going in. If the room is prepped correctly its fine. It takes longer than the Rift to setup...but it does more than the Rift... I had picture frames up and that was causing some occasional signal loss, after I covered them its been working flawlessly. 

3. Screen quality/God Ray issues. Granted this one is pretty subjective and I dont have my CV1 to do I direct comparison from my point of view. You can find articles on both sides so yet again its going to come down to personal preference. I will say the God Rays are really noticeable in certain screen situations and if they are worse under the Rift thats going to be a huge con for me. But hell perhaps ill find that I really like the screen or the way God Rays are handled in the Rift. 

4. UI interface. Perhaps the Rift has a better home page, I dont know but I can tell you that the Steam VR page is far from being a "mess" as some others have put it. It gets the job done just fine. I personally haven't had any headaches at all with it. Perhaps others have. This just hasn't been my experience. 

I really dont understand all the hate for either system I keep reading here, granted this is a Rift forum but damn people we are all on the same team! I want both to succeed. 

I will update this when my Rift shows up. I am also happy to answer any questions if it can help anyone. Granted I can only speak to the Vive, at least for a few more days but hey it might help people make a choice that is good for them. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
1) I never said it was a huge mistake to own a Vive
2) You don't own a Rift so you can't know if what I really did say is true or false
3) Thanks for the shoutout
4) Welcome to VR
5) I'm glad that Oculus has given you a safe place to share your Vive experiences

Nimravus
Explorer
Haha that was fast! 

1)When you speak ill of it in every post thats saying the same thing man, you sound like a lawyer.
2) Like I said I am only speaking to experiences with the Vive, what you have written referencing the Vive is just simply wrong thats all Im saying. 
3) No problem! I know how you like your post count to go up!
4) Everywhere is safe, its the Internet remember 😉 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
1) I speak ill of people who bash the Rift, and I only claim that the Rift is a superior product in terms of visual immersion.

2) What specifically have I stated that you believe to be wrong about the Vive? Most of my statements are in regards to comparing both products, of which you only have one.

3) There are people on this forum who have more than twice my post count yet do not own a single VR Device. I waited until I owned my Rift for longer than a day before posting. I can't help it if Math keeps track of my contributions.

4) The Internet is far from safe (Malware, Identity Theft, Social Engineering); but one place that would be even safer for a Vive owner is an official Vive community. Since you chose an Oculus community it seems that you decided on the smarter product choice if even at the subconscious level.

Your mere presence shows that you know which product is better. It's like camping out on your ex-girlfriends lawn just to prove that you've moved on to someone better lol

museumsteve
Protege
I got my Vive last week and think it's awesome. Hopefully my KS CV1 will be here this week and I have every intention of keeping both. For now I want Rift for seated (mainly racing and flying) and Vive just for room scale. To me it's like having a Playstation and Xbox, if you can have both..have both. Both have advantages and disadvantages yet both are great 🙂

Nimravus
Explorer
Good Sir! I have no desire to have a back and forth with you, nor do I want to go scour this forum collecting all of the ridiculous things you have said. Of course you disagree that what you say is ridiculous that is to be expected. I just wanted to give potential owners my perspective on the Vive since I feel it is vastly different from yours, ergo more correct 😉   

You must not have read my post....I have chosen both communities, purchased both headsets... I will be active in both until I see a reason not to be. Its honestly not my fault that the Rift has yet to show up....even with me having ordered it almost a month ahead of the Vive... 

Lets bury the hatchet and get back on topic, deal?

I really hope I can update this post later this week when my Rift arrives, and I really hope that it has its own special place and perhaps I wont want to re sell it. Time will tell. 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
What he said. I'm in same boat just patiently waiting. I'm wondering now though whether I'll get my spanking new GTX 1080 before the Rift. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Nimravus
Explorer
@Shadowmask72 I hope you dont get it before that way you can let us know what performance increase you see! That 1080 card looks like a BEAST!