cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will HTC survive long enough to make Vive 2 ??

christopherbarn
Adventurer
Another quarter of losses, $148 million this time. 4th straight quarter of > $100 mill loss.
http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/09/htc-q1-2016-financial-results/
17 REPLIES 17

blue-steel
Expert Protege
I'm sure we will no shortly. These numbers are before the vive hit. 

CharlieHobbes
Rising Star
Oh the drama, 

Obviously Oculus will close it's doors before they ever release Oculus CV2
Now HTC will go bankrupt before Vive2

Are we all super excited for Cardboard2 then?

As HTC has been struggling on the phone market for some time now, I would expect them to find a new product on a market where competition is at least less fierce. 
VR could be it. 

And yeah, I fully expect to see a CV2.

GenetixStudio
Superstar
Sounds like the there could be roughly 50,000 Vives out in the wild right now - based on some research and SteamSPY unique downloads of apps such as Tilt brush and fantastic contraption. They are doing well, and may be one of the first players into an entirely new and huge market with VR.

ennogs
Expert Protege

Atmos73 said:

Oculus say they don't make any profit from the Rift so guess they are breaking even on hardware sales. They only make money from game sales and a lot of Rift owners buy from Steam. Then retailers are going to take a 30% chunk off Oculus profits from every Rift sale. So are Oculus making any money at this point?

Big question will we see another Rift CV2? Obvious we will because big daddy facebucks has money to burn lol.

I cannot see that oculus are not making any money on the rift hardware.  They are selling the rift in shops for the same price as pre-orders. The shops must be making profit on selling the rift. Also unless the touch controllers are well below $200 then the cost of the rift with touch controllers is the same cost as the vive.  HTC are not claiming they are not making a profit on the hardware. 

STUJAMR
Protege
Google Cardboard 2 is hot! I really think they got it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkOuShXpoKc

CharlieHobbes
Rising Star

Atmos73 said:

ennogs said:

Atmos73 said:

Oculus say they don't make any profit from the Rift so guess they are breaking even on hardware sales. They only make money from game sales and a lot of Rift owners buy from Steam. Then retailers are going to take a 30% chunk off Oculus profits from every Rift sale. So are Oculus making any money at this point?

Big question will we see another Rift CV2? Obvious we will because big daddy facebucks has money to burn lol.

I cannot see that oculus are not making any money on the rift hardware.  They are selling the rift in shops for the same price as pre-orders. The shops must be making profit on selling the rift. Also unless the touch controllers are well below $200 then the cost of the rift with touch controllers is the same cost as the vive.  HTC are not claiming they are not making a profit on the hardware. 

Palmer said himself they're not making money on the CV1. I don't believe him either.

Well, I guess if you count for recouping R&D costs you could say they're not making money on the HMD sales. 

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
Or the custom Fresnel lenses, custom parts, cloth design, and integrated DAC and headphones really did cost more than the off the shelf parts on the Vive.  I'm not arguing the merits of the design, simply that it may well have cost more to produce even considering economy of scale.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

LZoltowski
Champion

jrs69 said:

Google Cardboard 2 is hot! I really think they got it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkOuShXpoKc

Lol... ..... a bit bitter google glass didn't quite pan out? 
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂