cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Circular Polarized Lenses - God Rays no longer.

oOunknownuserOo
Expert Protege
So for sh*ts and giggles I decided to place a couple of my drones circular polarized lenses over the CV1 and night and day difference,  the god rays disappeared.

I tried a couple filters ND8/CP

and graduated ND16-8

The only thing with circular polarized lenses is that as you turn them you either have more light enter in, or you cut more out.    

These filters are godsend when shooting aerial photography with drones and you have sun flare,  

question is how could we mount them??
62 REPLIES 62

Syrellaris
Rising Star
Polarizing filters don't change vocal length, it just effects the way light is filtered. Any screen, with or without lenses emits light.

LZoltowski
Champion
I thought one of those might help (I do photography myself)... thanks for the update @oOunknownuserOo ... I think @DaftnDirect  tried using linear polarisers ... without any luck ... 

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zuh
Adventurer

I thought one of those might help (I do photography myself)... thanks for the update @oOunknownuserOo ... I think @DaftnDirect  tried using linear polarisers ... without any luck ... 

I think circulars have been mentioned in that topic as well. I have read about them somewhere before. 

I did indeed try a linear filter.

For the life of me I can't figure out how a circular polorizer would work... iirc a circular polorizer has a linear polorizing layer which filters out the polorized light in a particular direction as usual... then it has a circular layer which then radiates the resulting filtered light back out so the camera metering isn't affected... so it acts exactly the same as a linear filter as far as how it deals with the light being emitted from a screen.. it just differs in how it allows a cameras metering system to pick up a more accurate level.

My linear filter made no difference to the rays because they didn't appear to be polorized. So the linear element of the circular polorizing filter wouldn't filter them either.. and the circular element would just circulate already circulated light.

Or am I missing something?

LZoltowski
Champion
@DaftnDirect that sounds about right .. perhaps it somehow works for light coming from Fresnel Lens?

Ugh this is all a guessing game at the moment ...!! ..

Could be that less light reaches his eye thusly the god ray effect is somewhat diminished by the change in image contrast,.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

@LZoltowski, yeah, if anything, the circular Fresnels would cause light to be emitted in a circular polorized fashion... so the only thing I can think that would work is a filter that filters circular polorized light... but I don't think such things exist, and it would theoretically filter out everything, not just the flares.

I have a feeling you may be right in that the dimming effect of the filter is what's helping here. I wasn't happy with the overall dimmed effect my filter gave though.

I'd just like to say I'm no physicist so I could be 100% wrong about this.

LZoltowski
Champion
@DaftnDirect same here .. it is all speculation here .. 

Be kind to one another 🙂

I should really pick up a circ filter anyway, it's better than linear because of the potential metering problems... next time I'm in town, I'll pick one up and see if i can get the same results

LZoltowski
Champion
@DaftnDirect  cheers man!

My pre rift amazon order grows larger

• Sensor Mount
  • Lens Brush
  • Circular Polariser
  • Blu Tack
  • Better chair
  • Catheter to mitigate toilet breaks
  • 10 cc's of adrenaline to kick-start my heart from horror rift experiences

Be kind to one another 🙂

...I really hope your'e not disappointed when you get it

Edit, speaking of which... I haven't used mine for a couple days and it's about time I had some fun... VR I'm on my way!